Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
First heat wave of 2011 obs/disco -- smashes many records

Ian

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife's school is unairconditioned and in the middle of the Baltimore heat island. Thankfully, BCS letting out at half day. But she says it is already intolerable from the jump, what with the school having been shut tight over the three day weekend and the morning starting out so hot. Miserable four hours ahead for them. Probably not a lot of learning going on for the kids at any rate.

My wife's school is unairconditioned and in the middle of the Baltimore heat island. Thankfully, BCS letting out at half day. But she says it is already intolerable from the jump, what with the school having been shut tight over the three day weekend and the morning starting out so hot. Miserable four hours ahead for them. Probably not a lot of learning going on for the kids at any rate.

that's horrible. I also have a wife who is a teacher, so I can relate to that. It's good that they are getting a half day, but they shouldn't have to sit through that anytime

that's horrible. I also have a wife who is a teacher, so I can relate to that. It's good that they are getting a half day, but they shouldn't have to sit through that anytime

Yeah, only reason they are in is to "be open". She was begging parents via e-mail to send water bottles with the kids to try and help. They are in a basically windowless room in a brick school with one box fan for her class (that she provided). For Wire fans, she teaches in the school that was the setting for the school scenes in Season 4. It's now a charter public school, but the physical building is not set up for handling this kind of heat.

yesterday was horrible. I doubted the 99 degree reading on my car thermometer until I saw that the airport was reporting the same thing.

It was even hot hiking though Cunningham Falls yesterday

Did FDK hit 99F yesterday? All of the hourly obs show a 5 hr span of 96F although they did record 97F in between obs. My thermometer hit 99.2F in the shade and I suspect it's been running about 1F to 1.5F too high. It appears thought that Northern MD was in a hot spot yesterday with 97F+ consistent from FDK to BWI.

Did FDK hit 99F yesterday? All of the hourly obs show a 5 hr span of 96F although they did record 97F in between obs. My thermometer hit 99.2F in the shade and I suspect it's been running about 1F to 1.5F too high. It appears thought that Northern MD was in a hot spot yesterday with 97F+ consistent from FDK to BWI.

Yup. Check out the temps around 14:00 yesterday

http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KFDK.html

shows it fluctuating between 97 and 99 for about an hour.

What is the general rule about the correlation between 10 am and noon temps and the likelihood of reaching the century mark? Usually, doesn't it have to be 90 degrees by 10 am to have a realistic chance at 100 degrees? Or does it have to be 94 by noon?

there aren't hard and fast rules if you can get downsloping/westerly winds.....I think today is unlikely...we probably top out in the 93-96 range

I'll take the over no matter when it is on when FDK will have a properly placed and calibrated temp sensor

Correct. My temps are always 3-5 degrees less than KFDK in the summer, and I am down in the valley....like them. I am at 89.2 right now. KFDK is at 93.

Archived