Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA Summer Thread

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very off topic but no better place to ask: a buddy and I are loowing for a set of PSU tickets this year, yet have no real connections to any pSU grads somehow despite living in PSU heartland (no clue how this is even possible haha). Any of you guys have tips for us? PM if you don't want to drive this topic too far off our rainy course!

Holy crap, Calder Commons got rocked: http://lockerz.com/s/131705481

Beaver River, er, Avenue: http://yfrog.com/khgkypfj

By the bus terminal: http://yfrog.com/h440rlewj

Boy those were some wild pictures from up there earlier today. Hard to believe that there was that much water on Atherton in front of the bus terminal (which is right across the street from the Walker Building). Seems like Penn State has had an eventful first weekend weatherwise with Friday's move-in day storms/heavy rain and then this today.

I'm starting grad school here on Monday. ^_^

As for Irene... it's obviously a long way out, but my best guess is here:

http://www.americanw...post__p__896548

If a track like that were to verify, there could be some flooding issues in parts of Central PA. Something to watch out for, to be sure.

Welcome to Penn State and the C-PA threads! Yea Irene should def be interesting to watch the next several days with regards to the possible impacts on the local area as it may try to make an east coast run. Quite a sizable system and easily the most organized thus far in a tropical season that has had alot of weak bs variety storms up to this point. Lots of potential for strengthening if it stays mostly above Hispaniola and Cuba.

Very off topic but no better place to ask: a buddy and I are loowing for a set of PSU tickets this year, yet have no real connections to any pSU grads somehow despite living in PSU heartland (no clue how this is even possible haha). Any of you guys have tips for us? PM if you don't want to drive this topic too far off our rainy course!

I suppose if you don't have any connections for PSU tickets you can probably find some fairly affordable ones on the usual sites like Ticketmaster. Just punched in PSU v. Iowa and a single ticket was like 80 bucks. Def some great matchups at Beaver Stadium this season (Alabama, Nebraska, Iowa), thats for sure.

Boy those were some wild pictures from up there earlier today. Hard to believe that there was that much water on Atherton in front of the bus terminal (which is right across the street from the Walker Building). Seems like Penn State has had an eventful first weekend weatherwise with Friday's move-in day storms/heavy rain and then this today.

It's crazy the disparity between rain in the state right now. Some areas are in drought, some are overwhelmed with rain.

Will be interesting to see what Irene does. Man, Philly area doesn't need that right now.

Heavy rain yesterday, plus pea size hail. very cool.

Apparently the big ass storm that rolled through last wednesday, ripped slate off my roof ( we didn't know) then we had all that rain wednesday, thursday and friday. We never knew we had a leak unti my wife saw cracks (Saturday) in the wall on the first floor. Anyhow long story short, we had to have a restoration company come in. we tore out walls and have the fans and dehumidifiers on..the house can be fixed, but the hundreds and hundreds of pics are gone forever.

My question is, how can i look back to see what the wind speeds were? and direction Or i guess there would be no way of knowing exactly what it was at my house. I never heard the damn thing that night, but everyone i know who did says it was crazy ass wind. The side of my house (roof) that is damaged, is on the south side. any ideas?

Got an inkling that Irene has a minimal impact on Central PA, mostly north of H-Burg or so. Trend is not our friend. Will probably wind up being a reminder of last winter.

I tend to agree - looks like more of a coastal storm. That being said, we will at least see the cirrus shield come back pretty far as these storms really like to expand as they come north. Heavy rain should stay to our east, but depending on how expansive the precip shield is, we could get some back edge rain.

Still a lot of time for things to change either way, especially with a finicky tropical system. We would have had more luck getting more of a direct impact here if it had cut up west of Florida.

Yep, 984 low goes over Lancaster and widespread 3-5" all across Central PA on the Euro.

The 00z Euro better come in further west or I'l be upset. I can't stand not having any exciting weather, quater of an inch here half inch there is BORING weather, ugggh. I hate seeing the East coast potentially cashing in while central PA sees jack. I guess Imma have to move to the east coast to experience exciting weather :arrowhead:

The 00z Euro better come in further west or I'l be upset. I can't stand not having any exciting weather, quater of an inch here half inch there is BORING weather, ugggh. I hate seeing the East coast potentially cashing in while central PA sees jack. I guess Imma have to move to the east coast to experience exciting weather :arrowhead:

This post and your sig are hilarious together.

lmao I know, lol I think I need help sometimes :scooter: . What can I say I'm a weather fanatic and can't get enough, is it bad that nothing is exciting unless its an anomaly?? :thumbsup: Maybe I just need a VEI 7 or 8 and I will feel better!

I should have been clearer - your snow total from last year is something EC guys would dip their mom in Gravy Train and throw her in a pit of rottweilers to get.

anyone feel the earthquake?

it shook my house and rattled the windows...freaked me out.

I didn't feel it at work but wife called right after and said the water was sloshing in the fish bowl (fish are fine BTW).

Kids thought it was a little scary and a little cool. Already on the weenie path!

I should have been clearer - your snow total from last year is something EC guys would dip their mom in Gravy Train and throw her in a pit of rottweilers to get.

I gotcha I gotcha...I still think I would trade with the EC guys. They have more of a potential to land 2 feet snowstorms, whereas Central PA doesn't. My snowfall totals are from adding nickle and dime lake effect snow events throughout the winter. I'd rather have an average of 45" of snow a year vs. 85" if it meant I had a greater chance of huge storms which the EC does. Plus they get more action with tropical rains compared to central PA. Maybe it is just me but I think overall they have more exciting weather, plus better severe wx potential especially tornado wise unless you live in the tornado alley of PA near Lancaster.

Our building swayed a bit, which was wild (Rider Building). What was funny at first there was a minor argument that it was an Earthquake.

Nice. Sounds like it was pretty noticeable in State College. Luckily I was stopped on my forklift when it happened or I never would have noticed. It was a little scary to have hundreds of thousands of pounds of paint swaying above me though. The metal racks really started creaking and swaying and the roof was making some weird noises. I thought I was crazy and didn't even say anything to anyone until Jake texted me about it...laugh.gif

I gotcha I gotcha...I still think I would trade with the EC guys. They have more of a potential to land 2 feet snowstorms, whereas Central PA doesn't. My snowfall totals are from adding nickle and dime lake effect snow events throughout the winter. I'd rather have an average of 45" of snow a year vs. 85" if it meant I had a greater chance of huge storms which the EC does. Plus they get more action with tropical rains compared to central PA. Maybe it is just me but I think overall they have more exciting weather, plus better severe wx potential especially tornado wise unless you live in the tornado alley of PA near Lancaster.

Well with weather the grass is always greener on the other side. I have noticed that. An odd side effect of our hobby is never being able to be satisfied.

One other thing, tropical rains largely depends on track. We sometimes do better here with Gulf landfalling storms since they are farther west.

One other thing on the 2-foot snowstorms; that's a very recent thing and not sure if that is going to continue. It's so weird how East Coast snowstorms have increased recently.

Man, there has definitely been no shortage of stuff to talk about around here the last few days... I guess i'll start with the earthquake we had. Personally, I did not feel the earthquake occur today since I was outside working around equipment. It was certainly widely felt by a ton of ppl in the area though and I've heard several say about lights shaking, some small stuff falling, etc. Basically sounding like something in the magnitude 3-4 range. Fortunately, the Penn State department of Geosciences has a seismometer on campus (Deike Building).

post-1507-0-13222900-1314155280.png

Source

The graph shows ground velocities spiking generally around 2.5 (cm/s). Peak ground velocity in the 1.4-3.9 cm/s range as per USGS is considered magnitude 4. So not sure what it's being precisely considered magnitude wise, but def looks to have been at least a 4 or 4 point something at State College. Considering how wide reaching it was, it sounds about right to me. Some people likely felt it more than others depending on ones geologic makeup underneath their feet. Not getting into that.. it's been awhile since i took a geosci class and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

At any rate, Hurricane Irene does continue to present a potential to impact our area in some form other than just the cirrus shield or an outer band or two. I would really be watching specifically from about say I-81 and east but I think all of Central PA is still in the game for at least some rainfall. New forecast takes it from about Hatteras at 96 to right over NYC as a Cat 1 at 120hr. A very high impact track for the big cities if that were to come to fruition. That would likely establish the edge of the western rain-shield somewhere around the middle of the state in that case. Also with a track right along the coast, wind would likely not be a major issue for most of PA as with these classic east coast curving storms... the highest winds end up residing on the eastern side of the center along with most of the tornadic and wind threat associated with the feeder bands. As a storm recurves the western side becomes more of a somewhat wind driven rainstorm... with the most prolific rainfall occuring with and just NW of the center of circulation. Still several days out, so def worth continuing to keep an eye on.

Archived