• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Plains May 27-30 severe weather threat?

Just thought I would start something here as it looks like there may a few days of severe wx and also since it will be my mini chase vacation. Friday there could be a supercell or two over Oklahoma as the 850/500 mb crossover winds are very favorable although the tornado threat will be very low unless any storms that manage to fire turn right. Sort of worried about the cap for both Saturday and Sunday so as of now I will be planning on doing some Colorado chasing and see some potential especially on Sunday just East of Denver. Looks like a legit system for Monday will be ejecting out into the Plains however I may not be able to chase because I have to be at my home no later than 5 am near Peoria, IL. Looks like a mega death ridge setting up after Monday.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I would start something here as it looks like there may a few days of severe wx and also since it will be my mini chase vacation. Friday there could be a supercell or two over Oklahoma as the 850/500 mb crossover winds are very favorable although the tornado threat will be very low unless any storms that manage to fire turn right. Sort of worried about the cap for both Saturday and Sunday so as of now I will be planning on doing some Colorado chasing and see some potential especially on Sunday just East of Denver. Looks like a legit system for Monday will be ejecting out into the Plains however I may not be able to chase because I have to be at my home no later than 5 am near Peoria, IL. Looks like a mega death ridge setting up after Monday.

My amateur opinion, you might get lucky Monday further North than Colorado, and then it does look like severe weather becomes a more isolated event.

Death Ridge does appear to be coming.

post-138-0-73940300-1306420062.gif

If 12z NAM is correct you better just stay home...or at least head back after friday

saturday over IL

Here is what I see as some of the possibilities

Friday May 27th

Saturday May 28th

Sunday May 29th

Monday May 30th

post-1182-0-88119500-1306433553.gif

Boy, you can just see the expansion of the ridge in these images. Each day, the severe threat gets shifted north.

Looks like the Northern Plains/Upper Midwest will be the place to be next week, too!

if the gfs is right .. pretty short season in the heart of the plains

There is some good terrain up in the Dakotas, though. I remember hearing lots of chasers having a blast there last year, especially in late May and June. It may not be done yet, just further north.

There is some good terrain up in the Dakotas, though. I remember hearing lots of chasers having a blast there last year, especially in late May and June. It may not be done yet, just further north.

yeah, i think along the periphery of the ridge might still be ok -- sorta typical late season stuff, perhaps a bit early. but still, other than the outbreak this week this has not been a big yr in the plains. if they're upper ridged into the first week of june, running out of time at least in the southern areas...

Sunday looks mildly interesting in the Southern High Plains, though there are numerous concerns and potential cons to the setup.

From an historical perspective, it's still a tad premature to say time is running out for the SP, as there have been plenty of significant events from the TX PH to KS as late as mid June. But realistically, I have a feeling it is running out *if* the death ridge verifies and sticks around all the way into the week after next.

Probably still several chase opportunities in the offing for NE/SD/ND as we go through June, even if they're mainly NW flow events.

Sunday looks mildly interesting in the Southern High Plains, though there are numerous concerns and potential cons to the setup.

From an historical perspective, it's still a tad premature to say time is running out for the SP, as there have been plenty of significant events from the TX PH to KS as late as mid June. But realistically, I have a feeling it is running out *if* the death ridge verifies and sticks around all the way into the week after next.

Probably still several chase opportunities in the offing for NE/SD/ND as we go through June, even if they're mainly NW flow events.

it could be wrong, but if not it does not show much sign of relenting anytime soon. gfs is ok with pattern recognition.

anyway...this is probably along the margin of where i am still bitter over my trip activity...

lets see my Birthday weekend, lets look back at previous events shall we.... Indy 500 2004, bad one, 91 had an F 4 tornado go within 10 miles of Flora as i was in the middle of my birthday party, that's just to name a few, so yeah expect a severe storm this weekend.....

Good news is SPC isn't too bullish, while there have been some outbreaks that they have missed, they are REAL good at pinpointing the outbreaks, who knows...

Even though this year might had brought the most tornado tragedy, historically usually major events still happen in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, Michigan, S. Ontario late June into July just after that.

Huge thunderstorm complexes often become strong bow echoes or derechos dropping small tornadoes as well.

Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Iowa are still due for this spring, not much there yet.popcorn.gif

If we can clear out the late morning/early afternoon precip in eastern MO into IL a bit faster then we are really going to be in buisness..heat up quicker and get something to pop on the warm front in IL under the nearly 50kt LLJ axis and great mid-level flow.

Agree, and that morning convection will lay down boundaries in its wake too.

SREF showing 20 at this juncture valid 00z Sunday.

SREF_prob_combined_sigtor__f051.gif

Archived