Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Plains May 27-30 severe weather threat?

GRR finished their Storm Survey of Kalamazoo and Calhoun Counties

Survey Team Finds Straight Line Wind Damage

...SURVEY TEAM FINDS STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE FROM SUNDAYS STORMS...

THE SURVEY TEAM FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN GRAND

RAPIDS DETERMINES THAT THE SWATH OF DAMAGE PRODUCED DURING

SUNDAYS STORMS WAS CAUSED BY STRAIGHT LINE WINDS. THE AREA

SURVEYED STARTED FROM NEAR VICKSBURG IN KALAMAZOO COUNTY THR0UGH

BATTLE CREEK...INTO CHARLOTTE AND THEN UP TO INGHAM COUNTY. NO

CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT A TORNADO OCCURRED WAS FOUND.

THE WINDS FROM THIS STORM WERE SEVERE IN PLACES RANGING FROM 85

MPH TO NEAR 100 MPH. AREAS THAT SAW SUCH DESTRUCTIVE WINDS INCLUDE

THE REGION FROM VICKSBURG TO FULTON AND ALSO FROM CHARLOTTE TO MARION.

ONE HOME DESTROYED NORTHEAST OF EATON RAPIDS WAS ESTIMATED TO HAVE

BEEN HIT BY 100 MPH WINDS.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GRR finished their Storm Survey of Kalamazoo and Calhoun Counties

Survey Team Finds Straight Line Wind Damage

...SURVEY TEAM FINDS STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE FROM SUNDAYS STORMS...

THE SURVEY TEAM FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE IN GRAND

RAPIDS DETERMINES THAT THE SWATH OF DAMAGE PRODUCED DURING

SUNDAYS STORMS WAS CAUSED BY STRAIGHT LINE WINDS. THE AREA

SURVEYED STARTED FROM NEAR VICKSBURG IN KALAMAZOO COUNTY THR0UGH

BATTLE CREEK...INTO CHARLOTTE AND THEN UP TO INGHAM COUNTY. NO

CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT A TORNADO OCCURRED WAS FOUND.

THE WINDS FROM THIS STORM WERE SEVERE IN PLACES RANGING FROM 85

MPH TO NEAR 100 MPH. AREAS THAT SAW SUCH DESTRUCTIVE WINDS INCLUDE

THE REGION FROM VICKSBURG TO FULTON AND ALSO FROM CHARLOTTE TO MARION.

ONE HOME DESTROYED NORTHEAST OF EATON RAPIDS WAS ESTIMATED TO HAVE

BEEN HIT BY 100 MPH WINDS.

Sorta surprising...I figured there was a tornado in there somewhere.

Not to revive an old thread or anything, but I got around to editing my damage footage from 5/29/11 here in Battle Creek where we had 85-100mph straight-line winds.

Just letting all know i am fine.

BTW.. You should have come up into town on E.Mich and then took a drive on Elm towards the entrance of Post. Ouch. War zone. I have yet to see anything like i did back there. Ofcourse most of that was blocked off due to the downed trees and wires so you would have had to walk up to get pics.

Oh and yeah a funnel did atleast pass over as that all happened. Couple of guys from the power company ( Consumers ) saw it as it passed along close to/over E.Mich between Post and their property. Came over from the direction where i saw the worst damage ( Green St and Bennett took it the worst ) and then basically right up along E.Mich ave. They could not say if it had touched the ground but from my vantage point ( i was directly under the thing-Yeah i live in that area ) the winds were swirling at street level outside my front door. Took out one of my porch windows and a shed out back which got ripped to shreds and carried for a few blocks. Had some shingles blow away off the roof and damaged ones but nothing else thankfully done to the house. For me personally it is beyond anything i have seen/been through. Whole house was shaking and yeah it had that sound of a freight train rolling through. When that thing hit i could not even see across the street ofcourse i ran in off the porch when it hit and it took most of what strength i had to close the front door and get in to the stairwell where me and the family huddled till it passed. I believe the storm took out the sirens ( Can anyone confirm this? ) which had blown but then went dead right before it hit and thus one reason i did not run for the basement but went out and peaked instead as i thought that the storm had just weakened some. Ha! Wish i had gotten pictures but happened to quickly. Have some after storm pics which i'll try and get up eventually. I'll pass on seeing or being in something like that again. Love me some extreme wx but not over top my house like that.

Just letting all know i am fine.

BTW.. You should have come up into town on E.Mich and then took a drive on Elm towards the entrance of Post. Ouch. War zone. I have yet to see anything like i did back there. Ofcourse most of that was blocked off due to the downed trees and wires so you would have had to walk up to get pics.

Oh and yeah a funnel did atleast pass over as that all happened. Couple of guys from the power company ( Consumers ) saw it as it passed along close to/over E.Mich between Post and their property. Came over from the direction where i saw the worst damage ( Green St and Bennett took it the worst ) and then basically right up along E.Mich ave. They could not say if it had touched the ground but from my vantage point ( i was directly under the thing-Yeah i live in that area ) the winds were swirling at street level outside my front door. Took out one of my porch windows and a shed out back which got ripped to shreds and carried for a few blocks. Had some shingles blow away off the roof and damaged ones but nothing else thankfully done to the house. For me personally it is beyond anything i have seen/been through. Whole house was shaking and yeah it had that sound of a freight train rolling through. When that thing hit i could not even see across the street ofcourse i ran in off the porch when it hit and it took most of what strength i had to close the front door and get in to the stairwell where me and the family huddled till it passed. I believe the storm took out the sirens ( Can anyone confirm this? ) which had blown but then went dead right before it hit and thus one reason i did not run for the basement but went out and peaked instead as i thought that the storm had just weakened some. Ha! Wish i had gotten pictures but happened to quickly. Have some after storm pics which i'll try and get up eventually. I'll pass on seeing or being in something like that again. Love me some extreme wx but not over top my house like that.

Just glad you are ok, Harry!

Pretty incredible Straight line wind damage. Glad your okay Harry, though it certainly sounded quite ferocious. Given the SRV at the time the storm hit Battle Creek, I'm having a very tough time believing there wasn't a possible brief tornado touchdown along with the straight lined winds.

Not to revive an old thread or anything, but I got around to editing my damage footage from 5/29/11 here in Battle Creek where we had 85-100mph straight-line winds.

Archived