• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Devastating tornado strikes Joplin, Missouri

In Jeff's video you can see how strong the winds were far from the wedge (2:24 or so). Very interesting how it had an intense core surrounded by damaging winds....almost sounds like a tropical cyclone on a super micro-scale.

Any estimates on number of people left homeless?

I wonder how many will never return...

I am so sad about what has happened to Joplin, Tuscaloosa, Western Mass, etc etc etc. What a horrible year

Joplin is a big metro area with about 250K people during the day. People are moving around but won't move out of the area. Maybe to another town near by for a few months and then back into the city. If the Joplin metro was a small little town it would probably lose a lot of people. But I don't think that will happen with a city this big.

I had a huge conversation with the NWS from Springfield yesterday. Also the warnings cordinator from another office came to talk as well to get my thoughts on what I thought they did well and what could have been done better. It was an interesting 2 hour conversatation and I think they will be evaluating this tornado for a long time to come.

Just heard on KSN news (local NBC affiliate) that the death toll is now 150 after 5 more people died in hospitals :(

Been seeing more signs of repairs and reconstruction going on around the area. Everyone is still in a pretty upbeat mood, and happy to be alive.

It is so damn sad that so many people who survived this horrific tornado are now succumbing to their injuries. I hope this is about the last of it, and I hope nearly everybody else who is injured is able to pull through and recover. Just a damn shame, especially for the families and friends. I guess this is to be expected with this tornado, but it still sucks.

It is so damn sad that so many people who survived this horrific tornado are now succumbing to their injuries. I hope this is about the last of it, and I hope nearly everybody else who is injured is able to pull through and recover. Just a damn shame, especially for the families and friends. I guess this is to be expected with this tornado, but it still sucks.

Very sad... I sure hope the death toll stops rising. This is very unusual, in many tornadoes the death toll usually stabilizes after a week. Maybe this says something about cause of injury/death for many people.

Is this a tally over the past several weeks ? It would be strange to have no deaths for two weeks and then 8 in one day.

These are people that are dying of their tornado injuries at hospitals around the area. The death toll was 138 or 139? after the tornado but has since risen to 151 after the deaths from the people in the hospitals over the last 2 1/2 weeks.

I read a story today that some of the people who were triaged now have infections as well.

The sound between 0:20-0:40 seconds sounds pretty much like the 'rumbling' sound I heard that I first thought was rolling thunder. Of course it was slower to come and go in real life. It became very loud, and I was 2 1/2 blocks away from where the major damage occurred, so I can only imagine what it sounded like for those poor people in the path.

Also just heard from someone who won't be coming back to Joplin. She was with her sister and brother at her sisters apartment. The apartment collapsed and her sister didn't make it.

The sound between 0:20-0:40 seconds sounds pretty much like the 'rumbling' sound I heard that I first thought was rolling thunder. Of course it was slower to come and go in real life. It became very loud, and I was 2 1/2 blocks away from where the major damage occurred, so I can only imagine what it sounded like for those poor people in the path.

Also just heard from someone who won't be coming back to Joplin. She was with her sister and brother at her sisters apartment. The apartment collapsed and her sister didn't make it.

Great video, it has really hit home for us. And remember if you need anything let me know.

Great video, it has really hit home for us. And remember if you need anything let me know.

Thanks but everything is 'normal' over here. It's eerie how you can be so close to destruction but everything looks the same in the neighborhood and life goes on.

I just want to commend you on being an all-around awesome guy. I just watched the story on KOAM about how you invited that 13 year old kid from San Diego to come watch you work and practice his skills and he just happened to be here on May 22nd.

http://www.koamtv.com/story/14877642/future-meteorologist-visits-doug-heady-on-may-22

Very important line from the above article:

[/color]

Although I'd like to see separate service assessments from 4/27 and Joplin, I definitely could see them clumping all the severe storms this spring into one, especially since there are at least four disasters (4/14-16, 4/27, Joplin, and the MS River Floods) from this spring that could be assessed.

It's my understanding that Joplin IS a separate service assessment from 4/27. That doesn't preclude some of the findings being similar in both assessments.

No kidding Stebo

Does he still want to be a meteorologist in the Plains where the action is or do you think he'll be sticking to San Diego weather? I'm not really sure if that scary experience would make him be more excited about weather or less excited.

Does he still want to be a meteorologist in the Plains where the action is or do you think he'll be sticking to San Diego weather? I'm not really sure if that scary experience would make him be more excited about weather or less excited.

He acted like he was still pretty excited, but I know it really freaked him out. I grew up in KC and have always been used to tornado warnings. But If I went to California and went through an earthquake I would be scared to death.

He acted like he was still pretty excited, but I know it really freaked him out. I grew up in KC and have always been used to tornado warnings. But If I went to California and went through an earthquake I would be scared to death.

Yeah I'd like to hope that he kept his interest of Meteorology, seems like a smart kid with a very high interest in meteorology.

Yeah, that happened to me. I grew up in NY and within two years of moving to L.A., the city had its biggest and most violent quake in well over over a century (Northridge 1994). Scared the crap out of me.

As of June 9th City News Conference:

197,000 cubic yards of debris have been removed. Around 30,000-40,000 cubic yards removed a day.

21,454 registered volunteers

69,452 volunteer hours

Not including the people who didn't register

30% of hotel/motel capacity being devoted to people without homes

FEMA = 2,343 rental assistance

62 residents still at the shelter.

10 units manufactured housing units headed towards Joplin

60 total units ordered.

First units installed and ready by Thursday of next week.

147 pad locations, 63 have been approved.

2,453 FEMA applications for housing..

75 need assistance for manufactured housing.

Numbers are fluid and dynamic.

I was watching a video about Greensburg, Kansas and they were showing the FEMA housing/trailers that people used for a bit.

Do you know if they plan on setting them up in a similar way (ie almost like a mini-town)?

The amount of debris is staggering

I don't think so. They are going to use the commercial and private lots already around the area. No new lots will be constructed unless more people need them. They are still phoning people that signed up as needing housing.