• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Devastating tornado strikes Joplin, Missouri

Here is my story of the historic May 22nd, 2011 Joplin tornado.

1pm: I am outside and working on getting the boat de winterized for the season. However, I was amazed at how warm and windy it was. I saw the big puffy cumulus clouds and I just had a thought, get on the computer and see what is going on. I knew we had a severe threat for that day, but I wasn't watching it very closely as it was my day off. So I go inside and look at the set-up. We were in a moderate risk for severe weather and the airmass was extremely unstable. We were pushing 6000 joules on cape which is very high. I though I better finish up the boat quickly and tarp and get it put back up fast before any storms decide to blow up. I call meteorologist Brian Davis (our weekend meteorologist) and tell him to get into work now, you need to watch these storms as they blow up.

1:40pm facebook post.

Extremely unstable airmass. Tornado watch is in effect with extremely strong supercells blowing over the next couple of hours. The main threat is large hail and strong tornadoes. Looks like I better go to work.

3pm: Arrive at work with a severe thunderstorm warning in eastern Wilson county and western Labette county KS. I continue to watch these storms closely.

4pm: Tornado warning out for eastern Labette county as funnel clouds are being reported. The storm continues to sink slowly to the SE.

5pm: Tornado warning continue for eastern Cherokee county KS. The storm is getting ready to move into the western metro of the Joplin area. At this time I call my wife who lives in the northern metro area. I tell her to keep her phone near her. We have a plan on what to do if a tornado approaches my home. My house got hit in the Carl Junction tornado in 2003, so I have always figured out a plan on how to keep my family safe. I tell my wife I will ONLY call you if your in the direct path of the storm.

5:30pm: Confirmed reports of funnel clouds east of Galena and the western side of Joplin. I go to wall to wall coverage. But I have no idea what is about to happen.

5:45pm: Still wall to wall coverage with confirmed reports of a tornado on the SW side of Joplin. I continue with my wall to wall showing the radar and in pinpointed where I thin the tornado maybe. We start using tower cam at 7th and Rangeline and looking back to the west southwest. However, from our angle the tornado is rain rapped. I can't see the monster wedge working through. I continue with the tornado warnings.

5:50pm: I can see glimpses of the wedge tornado on our tower cam. At this time it is approaching main and 20th street. I know it is doing damage, but I didn't know to what extent. At this time we weren't getting any reports in on what it was doing. All I knew was it was tearing through down and we were getting some damage.

5:55pm: Debre is being picked up on our tower cam as the tornado smashes into Rangeline road. At this point I realize this is a major tornado doing massive damage across the Joplin metro. our tower cam goes out as it looses power as the tornado passes Rangeline. I continue the wall to wall coverage of the tornado passing through the city. Still at this point in time I know it has done damage, but I still don't know to what extent.

6:05pm: I continue with the coverage and watching the hook on the radar very close to the 249 and I-44 intersection. I remember thinking this massive tornado is going to go right across the interstate. I get some damage reports in of power polls down on the west side of Joplin. Next report says some house structures damaged. So I knew we had damage but again I still didn't know how bad it was going to be. My mentor Bryan Busby try's to call me from Kansas City. He is seeing if I am ok and trying to get info from me to get out on the news in Kansas City.

6:20pm: Tornado warning continue for eastern Jasper and northern Newton County. Also Barry county as it is now just dropping some brief smaller tornados in Barry county. I am continuing to stay on air and go over these storms and give the damage reports that are coming in. At this time I knew St. Johns took a hard hit. I report that houses are gone and people are trapped in their homes. Also at this time I get reports in of Rangeline hard hit and 40 cars and semi's flipped on I-44. This is when it hit me that this is going to become a historic event.

7pm: We still have numerous severe thunderstorm warning across the region. I continue the coverage with our severe thunderstorm warnings and reporting the damage reports. Everyone is in at the station now helping out. Dowe is getting ready to come down to the studio so we can tag team this event. He goes over damage and I go over what is going on at that time and what has happened. I get a call from my wife saying she find her sister. She asked me if she was in the path. I told her yes, her house probably got hit. I also find out at least 5 people at our work went through the tornado, but are unaccounted for at that time.

7:30pm: Severe thunderstorms continue. Dowe and I are still on air giving the lastest damage reports. This is the time we get in a number of 24 dead. I remember thinking during the May 4th, 2003 outbreak with 3 EF-4 or 5 tornadoes that ripped through the viewing area at the same time, we lost 22 people. Now just under 2 hours after this tornado hit Joplin, the death toll was already higher than that. Finally my sister in law is found. She was not home when the tornado hit. I find out that 8 people at work got hit by the tornado and at least one is injured. My phone is over loaded with family calling to see if we are all right. I send a brief face book message out saying "I am ok, my family is ok. Very busy at work and I will get back to you all later."

10pm: Dowe and I continue are live coverage and we now know the full effect of what has happened. We both sit in disbelief as we are reporting this massive historic tornado and what it did.

Sunday May 22nd, 2011 with never leave my mind. This is the second tornado to hit the Joplin metro in 8 years. I knew that day was going to be a big day by looking at how unstable the atmosphere was. That is why I decided to go to work on that Sunday afternoon. I remember once I got into work thinking how similar this is to May 4th, 2003. It was warm and very windy with high dewpoints and just sticky outside. Just like on May 4th. It was a Sunday afternoon, just like May 4th. When I got to work I looked at the TV and saw that golf was playing on KOAM, just like May 4th.

This tornado had plenty of warning lead time. We had numerous tornado warnings as it working into the metro area. However, this storm was mainly producing just funnel clouds. The problem here is we saw this storm produce a funnel cloud to a major tornado in about 1 minute of time. And it just happened to drop in west Joplin. I feel like I did everything I could. I knew 5 weeks in advance that we would have a good chance for severe weather on that day by using my long range forecasting pattern. But I can't tell that far in advance that large tornadoes are possible. A few days out I can tell that we could have some tornadoes. Once Sunday rolled around, that is when I know strong tornadoes are very possible in our viewing area. It just happened to strike a highly populated area.

The past two weeks have been kind of a blur. I feel so bad for everyone that was effected by this terrible event. I live and breath weather. I love winter storms, I love severe weather and I love to watch tornadoes. But when a tornado does damage and takes peoples life, it makes me sick to my stomach. My thoughts and prayers go out to everybody effected.

So what can we do? The most important thing is know when severe weather is possible. Pay attention to the weather on those days. Get weathercall. This is a produce that is only $7 dollars per year and will call your cell phone if you are in the direct path of the storm. Plus we have a business weathercall that lets you know if your business is in the path. Also for smart phone users, no matter where you are located if you cell phone signal is in the path of a storm you will get a call. When we have tornado warnings, take them seriously. I know that 9 out of 10 times they are usually funnel clouds or very weak tornadoes. The that one time will also get you. You have to look at each warning like this is the the one.

Thanks for writing that. I've been looking through the radar archive and SPC mesoanalysis. Just looks like everything came together just right.

I have talked with Springfield NWS numerous times and did some walking through the damage path with them. The impression I got from them is that this is a solid EF-5. The winds probably varied a bit with in the tornado. I have walked every stretch of this damage path and I would say that parts of the it were strong EF-4 to low EF-5. Then there are segments of strong EF-5 that probably had winds at 250mph. If you walk every inch of the path you can see the parts that were just a hair stronger. So I believe that 70% of the path was probably 200-210mph winds. But there are segments of probably 225-250mph winds. Also remember this when you talk about St. Johns. This is a huge building that actually got shifted off of its foundation a bit. And St. Johns was on the edge of the tornado and didn't take the strongest winds. Also when it hit Rangeline (Home Depot, Walmart, Acadamy Sports) it was a hair weaker. Probably winds around 200 mph. If you walk that path numerous times you can see the wind varying in spots. I think that is why there is some confusion on this. The bottom line is this is the most deadliest tornado in modern history. You have to go back to the Tri-State tornado for more deaths. That tornado spanded over 200 miles on the ground. The Joplin tornado did all of this in a 6 mile stretch. Also the Tri-State tornado was prior to tornado warnings.

As others have said, you did a great job. There's only so much you can do when an EF-5 hits.

How far do you live from the path?

I live in the northern metro area of Joplin. The metro is actually over a 250,000 people. Joplin is a very spread out city and much bigger than what most people think it is. And the city is booming and growing fast, or was booming. But it will come back stronger than ever. I live probably 10 miles north of the tornado path itself. My wife said at our house we just had large hail and very heavy rains. My wind gauge at home was clocking 80 mph winds in the severe thunderstorm part of that cell.

It's extremely hot out there. I hope the volunteers who aren't from the area and the volunteers in general realize just how hot and humid it is outside. It would be horrible if people had heat strokes. It's 91 outside right now at 1:30 PM, with a heat index of 97.

I have talked with Springfield NWS numerous times and did some walking through the damage path with them. The impression I got from them is that this is a solid EF-5. The winds probably varied a bit with in the tornado. I have walked every stretch of this damage path and I would say that parts of the it were strong EF-4 to low EF-5. Then there are segments of strong EF-5 that probably had winds at 250mph. If you walk every inch of the path you can see the parts that were just a hair stronger. So I believe that 70% of the path was probably 200-210mph winds. But there are segments of probably 225-250mph winds. Also remember this when you talk about St. Johns. This is a huge building that actually got shifted off of its foundation a bit. And St. Johns was on the edge of the tornado and didn't take the strongest winds. Also when it hit Rangeline (Home Depot, Walmart, Acadamy Sports) it was a hair weaker. Probably winds around 200 mph. If you walk that path numerous times you can see the wind varying in spots. I think that is why there is some confusion on this. The bottom line is this is the most deadliest tornado in modern history. You have to go back to the Tri-State tornado for more deaths. That tornado spanded over 200 miles on the ground. The Joplin tornado did all of this in a 6 mile stretch. Also the Tri-State tornado was prior to tornado warnings.

Thanks for some great clarification there! Seems that perhaps the 225-250 estimate is still valid then. Either way...no matter the exact speeds...its just a tragic and heartbreaking sight...and the stories of you...JoMo and others continue to be incredible. The fact remains as you say that this is the deadliest tornado of the modern era and that's the most important thing to remember in terms of historical perspective.

Weird-- I'm almost disappointed with that assessment! We were all expecting this one to break some kind of record in terms of estimated wind speed.

Well, the locations that carry the "low-end" descriptor were never part of the most intense damage region from the original detailed survey, when the tornado was still rated a preliminary EF4. The quotes from the article also imply that more intense damage was to the east of the hospital area. I'd like to see the whole report, which is not up yet on the Springfield office website. I guess the newspaper got to see a draft version?

interesting discussion, especially for those of us who have never witnessed this kind of damage. In understand if you don't want to answer, but do you think the NWS will be putting those higher estimates into a survey report? Or do you think they will likely just be sticking with 200+ mph?

Where would you say the 250 MPH winds were? I know the neighborhood that was around JHS is a strong candidate for 'higher end' EF-5 winds, with Franklin Tech being destroyed and the surrounding neighborhood being pretty much leveled as well as Dillons being destroyed and Hampshire Terrace apartments. Greenbriar took a really big hit and those apartments over there and St. Mary's church, so I'd say it was an EF-5 there as well. It's pretty weird over there by the railroad bridge at 25th and Connecticut or so. On one side of it, not much damage at all, but as soon as you go under it, it's a disaster on the other side.

Just curious regarding the shifting of St. John's...was that the whole building, the big tower, or some other part of it? Anyway you slice it it's impressive...just curious. Also, thanks for sharing your story. I can't imagine what that must have been like to cover that.

interesting discussion, especially for those of us who have never witnessed this kind of damage. In understand if you don't want to answer, but do you think the NWS will be putting those higher estimates into a survey report? Or do you think they will likely just be sticking with 200+ mph?

I don't know, that is a good question. I will have to ask them about that.

Where would you say the 250 MPH winds were? I know the neighborhood that was around JHS is a strong candidate for 'higher end' EF-5 winds, with Franklin Tech being destroyed and the surrounding neighborhood being pretty much leveled as well as Dillons being destroyed and Hampshire Terrace apartments. Greenbriar took a really big hit and those apartments over there and St. Mary's church, so I'd say it was an EF-5 there as well. It's pretty weird over there by the railroad bridge at 25th and Connecticut or so. On one side of it, not much damage at all, but as soon as you go under it, it's a disaster on the other side.

JoMo, that is were I see the worst as well.

Just curious regarding the shifting of St. John's...was that the whole building, the big tower, or some other part of it? Anyway you slice it it's impressive...just curious. Also, thanks for sharing your story. I can't imagine what that must have been like to cover that.

I am not sure how much it shifted. Late last week they brought in a crew to look at the structure of the building to see if it could ever be used again. That is when we were told that it actually shifted on the foundation, but that is all I know.

I saw a figure of 4 inches. IIRC, this is the second major high rise hit by an EF-5 in the past 40 or so years. The first was the Great Plains Life Insurance building in Lubbock TX on May 11,1970. That building was actually twisted by the impact of the tornado.

Steve

I had a chance to talk with my ex-gf again who lived over by Franklin Tech and I got more information from her. After I saw what was left of the house first hand last week, I don't know how her husband, step-daughter and her survived. The center of the tornado passed very near them based on surveys and the description about the fence posts being moved in different directions on the JHS baseball field.

She said she thought this would be just like any of the numerous tornado warnings that happen every year. They took shelter in an interior bathroom that is basically in the center of the house. She wanted to take her bird out of the cage and have it sit on her finger in the bathroom while they waited for the tornado warning to be over but her step-daughter hated the bird (as did I) and said she wouldn't go in there if the bird wasn't in it's cage. That probably saved the birds life as it survived. She had just called her mom and her phone was still in her hand. She suffered a broken finger when something hit her hand and knocked the phone out of her hand. She said it didn't really sound like a freight train, it sounded like just wind and a growling/roar type sound. She couldn't really describe it. She also suffered a laceration or something to her head, that now has e-coli in the wound. After the tornado had moved through, they started walking towards the hospital. They were all barefoot. They found someone with a van and got in the van but they didn't think that person was coming back or something so they got out and started walking towards the hospital again when someone passed by and took them to to the hospital.

She's getting a new car from somewhere in Arkansas because her car was totaled. As they were test driving cars the other day and stopped somewhere, someone rear-ended them in the car they were test driving. The insurance company has set them up with another house and are going to furnish it for 2 years.

EDIT: I forgot to add that when I asked if they had to dig themselves out she said no, they were already outside. It had swept all the debris off of them.

EDIT2: At least 5 of her neighbors were not so lucky.

In this pic it looks more like the tree grew around the hose. The hose had been there for years.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-616174

I can almost guarantee that tree did not grow around that hose. That hose would have had to have been there for many years. And it sure wouldn't look in that good of shape. That hose is not very old at all. It would be beyond dryrotted and such. And all likelyhood, that part of the tree was a good ways up the tree, not on the ground.

I'm having a hard time believing that hose pic. Being propelled at such a high velocity, one would expect it to look ragged or torn from going into a tree and it just doesn't seem to be at all. Not to mention I have a hard time believing a hose could be strung out perfectly to drive straight into a hardwood tree's trunk.

I'm having a hard time believing that hose pic. Being propelled at such a high velocity, one would expect it to look ragged or torn from going into a tree and it just doesn't seem to be at all. Not to mention I have a hard time believing a hose could be strung out perfectly to drive straight into a hardwood tree's trunk.

I agree, the tornado didn't do that. Kind of reminds me of that curb pic, which I doubted the first second I saw it. This kind of looks like a section of tree that was higher up and someone ran a hose across a limb to avoid it crossing a walkway. Then the hose grew into the tree. Who knows, but one thing is certain, and its that a tornado isnt going to pile drive a rubber garden hose into a tree leaving several feet out the other side. The fact that the tree hasnt been debarked should tell most of us that this is fake.

lol... that hose wouldn't have gone through the tree unless fired out of the large hadron collider. I've seen more than enough ropes, vines and other objects embedded in trees to know what it looks like. The bark is unblemished and the hose is pinched tight... it's probably been there for many years.

The rope I tied to a small maple tree to hang a bird feeder way back in middle school is now fully engulfed and up probably 30 feet.

Interesting article about the guy that filmed the video of the tornado, Jeff Piotrowski. Also what he did as a first responder on the scene.

"Using an Internet card on his laptop, he was finally able to get a call through to his friend Steve Piltz, head meteorologist and director of the National Weather Service station in Tulsa.

Steve answered.

“We are in a state of emergency, Steve. Joplin needs help. A massive tornado, at least an EF-4, maybe an EF-5 touched down here. Massive damage, massive injuries. Need ambulances. Can Oklahoma send any? Can you send 100 of them?”

Piltz looked at the radar and saw the debris cloud. “Oh my God,” he said. The debris clouds on the radar image were enormous.

“You got it Jeff. I’m on it,” Piltz replied.

Piltz sent the storm chaser report immediately. Within 15 minutes of the call, Task Force I Search and Rescue teams from both Oklahoma and Arkansas were dispatched and on their way to Joplin.

Jeff could breathe again, and stop counting. Help was coming, more was on the way."

http://www.joplinglo...hed-storm-build

Interesting article about the guy that filmed the video of the tornado, Jeff Piotrowski. Also what he did as a first responder on the scene.

"Using an Internet card on his laptop, he was finally able to get a call through to his friend Steve Piltz, head meteorologist and director of the National Weather Service station in Tulsa.

Steve answered.

“We are in a state of emergency, Steve. Joplin needs help. A massive tornado, at least an EF-4, maybe an EF-5 touched down here. Massive damage, massive injuries. Need ambulances. Can Oklahoma send any? Can you send 100 of them?”

Piltz looked at the radar and saw the debris cloud. “Oh my God,” he said. The debris clouds on the radar image were enormous.

“You got it Jeff. I’m on it,” Piltz replied.

Piltz sent the storm chaser report immediately. Within 15 minutes of the call, Task Force I Search and Rescue teams from both Oklahoma and Arkansas were dispatched and on their way to Joplin.

Jeff could breathe again, and stop counting. Help was coming, more was on the way."

http://www.joplinglo...hed-storm-build

I personally met Jeff a few years ago when storm chasing with a few other guys. He is a really nice guy but he is way out there when it comes to chasing tornadoes.

Ok so I saw the tree with the hose in person today. It is for real. You can tell how the hose is twisted and and also squezzed at the edge of the tree on both sides. I didn't believe it either, until I saw it in person and pulled on the hose. But it does look to be in the weak part of the tree.