• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Threat May 7th - 13th

00z NAM still looks interesting in IL on Monday. Parameters aren't extreme by any stretch but there is a pocket of stronger flow and the directional shear is hard to ignore. Unclear if there will be a well organized MCS or more scattered activity but anything that can root at the surface would be something to watch.

cap looks weakest in southern IL and I'd imagine it would be had to get anything going with the EML only getting worse throughout the day.

quite the southerly LLJ to even slightly backed the further north you go as well which lends to some very impressive 0-3km SRH values over the entire state.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cap looks weakest in southern IL and I'd imagine it would be had to get anything going with the EML only getting worse throughout the day.

quite the southerly LLJ to even slightly backed the further north you go as well which lends to some very impressive 0-3km SRH values over the entire state.

GFS really builds the instability on Monday but it has basically no precip in the southern 1/2 of IL.

I'm still trying to decide if i'll be able to chase monday-tuesday, I'm thinking based on distance I might see if i can get some other grad students to come on down to southern SD on monday and play the warm front, should have some storms not 2 worried about the cap and cape and srh are there but we'll see. Usually the nam will struggle with underplaying the daytime heating and instability will be a bit 2 low, I like the warm front as of right now but as we all know convective debris and placement of the all the features is the deciding factor. Tuesday is probably a bit 2 far away but might be a decent event for the majority of our midwest posters.

Based on my experience watching severe weather out here for the past 5-6 years, I think it is indeed. And that's what makes this year so frustrating. Any other year, the H5 map progged for Monday would have me salivating. It doesn't look all that dissimilar to the Greensburg case, synoptically. But the hellacious cap will almost certainly rip the setup from our under feet, except possibly along the warm front in NE/IA. I still think that the best bet for significant Plains activity will be from I-70 northward this year, as snowpack in the central and northern Rockies is much better, along with less severe drought in the adjacent central and northern High Plains.

Tuesday and Wednesday still look fairly interesting, yet imperfect due to the trough beginning to roll over and shear out.

Nah... for Greensburg we had a strong upper jet punching into the warm sector... the increase in upper air forcing near dusk in conjunction with a subtle DL bulge was enough to initiate the Greensburg supercell despite the strong cap.

The dynamics are much much weaker with this upcoming system. And instead of a jet punching into the warm sector, we'll have to hope for some s/w's embedded in the SW flow.

Nah... for Greensburg we had a strong upper jet punching into the warm sector... the increase in upper air forcing near dusk in conjunction with a subtle DL bulge was enough to initiate the Greensburg supercell despite the strong cap.

The dynamics are much much weaker with this upcoming system. And instead of a jet punching into the warm sector, we'll have to hope for some s/w's embedded in the SW flow.

There are notable differences, to be sure, but I disagree that the look of the upper-level jet is completely incomparable:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/ma_archive/images_s4/20070505/00_300mb.gif vs. http://www.twisterdata.com/data/models/nam/221/maps/2011/05/07/00/NAM_221_2011050700_F72_WSPD_300_MB.png

I will concede the jet streak is a hair faster and poised to intersect the dryline a bit further S in the Greensburg case. Aside from that, I'd say the position of the trough axis and the vertical wind profile ahead of the dryline looks fairly similar.

I certainly don't expect a similar outcome, though.

I continue to be amazed at some of these set-ups over the last 45 days with strong early season capping - I noted in one or two AFD's today that the subject was once again brought up.

I wonder if the strong capping is related to the dry conditions over the Oklahoma and Texas region. It is unusual and has been unusual for awhile now to see some of these capping numbers.

On another note - nice dry line next week

I'd think that might have a slight effect on low level moisture, but I think the real culprit is the drought in the Mexican states bordering Texas. Jorge has been posting some fire/drought stuff from Nuevo Leon.

BTW, discussed a bit on the Chasecation thread, little concerned PWs are actually too high in Oklahoma (at least for phtogenic storms), GFS and Euro have a touch of difference, but both seem to support a big ticket event around I-35 in Oklahoma Wednesday.

SPC upgraded tornado probabilities to 5% over eastern Illinois and western Indiana for later today. The setup I was mentioning a few nights ago still looks pretty decent, just further east/southeast. Gotta give credit to the GFS and RGEM for being correct on the timing and location. The NAM was holding things further west.

cref_t7sfc_f09.png

SPC upgraded tornado probabilities to 5% over eastern Illinois and western Indiana for later today. The setup I was mentioning a few nights ago still looks pretty decent, just further east/southeast. Gotta give credit to the GFS and RGEM for being correct on the timing and location. The NAM was holding things further west.

cref_t7sfc_f09.png

Hmm, I gotta start paying attention to today.

Hope this isn't a painfully obvious answer but could you explain why?

colder air aloft maybe...I haven't paid attention too much to that in particular but I don't think I've had too much luck with sinusoidal hodographs, VPGFs get all funky unless the backing is subtle

Southern MN possibly looks pretty decent for Tuesday by looking at the 12z NAM with better shear compared to areas further south and sfc based capes upwards of 6000 and LI's as low as -10!:arrowhead:The surge of moisture with this run is insane. Things could/will change but near the triple point looks like best the place to be for storms to break through the cap.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

406 PM CDT SAT MAY 7 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHEASTERN FORD COUNTY...

SOUTHWESTERN IROQUOIS COUNTY...

* UNTIL 445 PM CDT

* AT 404 PM...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS

STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR PAXTON...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MAINLY RURAL AREAS OF SOUTHEASTERN FORD COUNTY

And this

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL

406 PM CDT SAT MAY 7 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LINCOLN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN CHAMPAIGN COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL ILLINOIS...

NORTHERN VERMILION COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL ILLINOIS...

* UNTIL 445 PM CDT.

* AT 403 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS

STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR PAXTON...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

DANVILLE...RANKIN...POTOMAC...HOOPESTON...ROSSVILLE...LUDLOW...

ARMSTRONG...MIDDLE FORK WILDLIFE AREA...COLLISON...HENNING...

ALVIN...BISMARCK AND VERMILION COUNTY AIRPORT.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 57 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 255 AND 257.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 74 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 216 AND 219.

Archived