• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Severe Weather Threat May 7th - 13th

Yes, I have my eye on Wednesday and would not be surprised to see the cap breached into OK due to the strong dynamics. The magnitude of severe should depend largely on directional shear (somewhat tied to the strength of the secondary energy you mention) and how badly moisture mixes out along the dryline.

Just very frustrating to see these ungodly EML's that preclude initiation on any of the more subtly-forced days like today and tomorrow.

Yeah it has been an American numerical modeling fail over the past few days leading up to today and into tomorrow. Seems the foreign models performed far better regarding the magnitude of the cap across the central plains than the NAM/GFS/WRF.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CU field in Nebraska has now broken into trapped waves--reflective of the insane cap and increasingly stable EML advecting eastward. Going to be a tough call on anything initiating across much of the slight risk in NE. SPC mentions the HRRR--but the HRRR is backing way off on what it was suggesting earlier. Should something break it though--it would be explosive.

Huge tower going right in front of us.. Could be it

ONe finally went up over SD near Watertown. 18Z GFS suggests things hold off until after 0Z but it does suggest the potential is still there. It is going to be an interesting night for sure to see if any updrafts can fully breakthrough the cap. We are riding a fine line here.

This development is occuring in an area with 40-50F dp's.

-11º DP and 100ºF at MAF, 40s DPs are practically a sauna.

I mentioned FDR and DYX because I suspected distant radar might see a high based, maybe virga only cell better. I posted on Texas thread, all the area radars are seeing the Dickens County smoke plumes. That was started by dry lightning yesterday.

-11º DP and 100ºF at MAF, 40s DPs are practically a sauna.

I mentioned FDR and DYX because I suspected distant radar might see a high based, maybe virga only cell better. I posted on Texas thread, all the area radars are seeing the Dickens County smoke plumes. That was started by dry lightning yesterday.

LCL's are quite high in this area, around 3500m per 21z meso analysis.

Back to South Dakota, is mid 60s/upper 50s DP like around Watertown surface based?

Doubtful. RUC analysis indicates prohibitively strong SBCINH, and the MUCAPE level is achieved at over 1000 m AGL.

There's no magic surface T/Td threshold for surface-based activity, as it depends on how surface theta-e compares with the vertical temperature profile. In this case, and I dare say for most situations in the Plains in May or later, 63/57 probably won't get it done.

One lone updraft tried to go up in northern NE only to be beaten down by the cap, and interestingly enough, the latest HRRR tried to simulate a large cell going up right over the same area where the previous hourly runs had nothing.

Many models have been trying to hone in on development in that area for some time... tis the place to be.

EDIT: lol that was an old satellite... looks like the CU are dying now so maybe not.

Many models have been trying to hone in on development in that area for some time... tis the place to be.

I was mostly referencing the fact the previous 2-3 runs of the HRRR had nothing in that area then right when a turkey tower went up the HRRR run that hour blew up a tower in the exact same area. I was mainly talking about the coincidence of such an event.

I was mostly referencing the fact the previous 2-3 runs of the HRRR had nothing in that area then right when a turkey tower went up the HRRR run that hour blew up a tower in the exact same area. I was mainly talking about the coincidence of such an event.

I was referring to the RUC and the NAM *slightly hinting* at that area.

Some fairly pitiful attempts at CI in SW OK over the past 15 minutes. If the WRF-NNM somehow scores the coup and these blast through the +13 C cap, they'd be of more concern than the NW TX activity, as sfc obs in the area are on the order of 90/65 with backed winds. Highly doubtful, though.

Some fairly pitiful attempts at CI in SW OK over the past 15 minutes. If the WRF-NNM somehow scores the coup and these blast through the +13 C cap, they'd be of more concern than the NW TX activity, as sfc obs in the area are on the order of 90/65 with backed winds. Highly doubtful, though.

Maybe the smoke feeding into the area is aiding mass ascent and magically weakening the cap.

Archived