Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cicada Brood XIX

Isopycnic

Post emergence instances here.

Of the three extant 13-year broods, Brood XIX covers the most territory geographically. Missouri probably leads in populations of Brood XIX, but notable emergences occur throughout the south and Midwest. In addition to Missouri, Brood XIX cicadas emerge in Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, and Oklahoma. This brood appeared in 1998.

http://insects.about.com/od/truebugs/tp/cicadabroodmaps.01.htm

Future Brood XIX Emergences: 2011, 2024, 2037, 2050, 2063, 2076

Massive outbreak taken place here in my neck of the woods (Southwest Randolph County in the Uwharrie mtns). Sounds like chicken house sirens going off allday very noisy. I have shells everywhere on my leylands and every tree for that matter. Today I would stop and watch them coming out of their shells on the trees. They have red eyes, nasty looking critters. Are the holes in the ground where they are entering back in or coming out? Looks like someone with super long spikes on golf shoes trampled the ground, very fascinating to say the least. Tonight the siren sound is gone, but by the woods it sounds like water runing.

They have been singing every single day for the last week (week and a half?) from the woods at the back end of my property, as well as across the field to my east. They are just far enough away to not be a big annoyance but if they get any closer they will.

I had tons of them, probably thousands, come out of my yard a week or two back two separate times...a few days apart. It was quite impressive. Fortunately they decided not to use my back yard for their humongous orgies.

yummmm......recipes

http://biology.clc.u...ter/recipes.htm

CICADA CHEESE WONTONSJ. Yan. May 25, 2004 2-11

CICADA CHEESE WONTONS

6 oz. cream cheese

30 freshly hot water boiled cicadas

1 pkg. Wonton wrappers

Drop approximately 1 teaspoon of cream cheese on each of the wonton wrapper and then put 1 cicada on each of the wrapper. Fold in corners and seal with egg white. Fry in hot oil until crispy and brown. If needed serve with Sweet & Sour Sauce.

— Jun Yan

I took East Greensboro-Chapel Hill Rd. home as opposed to I-40. It takes a little longer, but it's a lot more "fun" of a drive than I-40. The Circadas were especially bad around the El Whitney area (which is where the road I took interchanged with NC 87).

That is a nice drive. I used to live near Eli Whitney. :)

Sorry I missed this earlier but I have been living in Cicada Hell for the past week and a half, until today (maybe the cooler weather quietened the boogers!). I have NEVER seen so many of these things in my life and it was deafening loud! My puppy went on a ride with us and she was doing soooooo well until she puked up a Pedigree/Cicada combo. That was pretty friggin nasty. We drove back by the spot where we dumped said puke and there was a crow that found the combo platter appetizing.

Enjoy your dinner folks! :lmao:

Sorry I missed this earlier but I have been living in Cicada Hell for the past week and a half, until today (maybe the cooler weather quietened the boogers!). I have NEVER seen so many of these things in my life and it was deafening loud! My puppy went on a ride with us and she was doing soooooo well until she puked up a Pedigree/Cicada combo. That was pretty friggin nasty. We drove back by the spot where we dumped said puke and there was a crow that found the combo platter appetizing.

Enjoy your dinner folks! :lmao:

....... :lmao:

anyone know what these bugs are? They're piled on top of each other on a few of my azaleas, but they're not eating any vegetation that I can see. Some mornings I find them in masses on the front porch, then they always end up back on the azalea leaves. Never seen them before. They're mostly red, but a few are black.

post-38-0-02740800-1305998823.jpg

Archived