Newest Member
    joxey
Paid the tolls...moving into winter

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of us get rain too

Probably some trouble for coastal CT up through coastal MA verbatim. It does have a cold look though for interior...850s actually never get above 0C over the interior. But I think there could be a sneaky warm layer in there early on.

But given its all 7 days out, who knows what it will look like on the next run.

The fact that the precipitation is less frequent during the -NAO to +NAO transition is a reflection of the blocking suppressing systems...but when one comes along, its much more likely to be a KU event.

Still we've had some great ones in the +NAO to -NAO regime...January 22-23, 2005 was one. A lot of the New England-centric storms though are less reliant on having the -NAO first.

The domain she uses is pretty large though, extending down into N VA, so suppression isn't as big if a factor -- still definitely a player in deamplifying s/w's if the -NAO low is overwhelming.

Here's a table in her paper with more detail of precip anomalies associated with each transition, by month.

i1520-0493-138-9-3454-t03.jpeg

Probably some trouble for coastal CT up through coastal MA verbatim. It does have a cold look though for interior...850s actually never get above 0C over the interior. But I think there could be a sneaky warm layer in there early on.

But far interior... like ORH... for most of CT, RI, E Mass that's a lot of rain... even Kevin gets rain.

Last run was similar, was it not...

Archived