• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

301 AM CST SAT DEC 4 2010

DISCUSSION

300 AM CST

FOR TODAY AND TONIGHT...COVERING THE ADVISORY PERIOD...

WINTER WEATHER HAS BEEN EVOLVING MOSTLY AS EXPECTED SO FAR. EARLY

IN THE EVENT FRIDAY EVENING THE HEAVIEST BAND OF SNOW WAS STRADDLING

THE WESTERN AND SOUTHERN EDGE OF THE LOT CWA...WITH MAX RATES OF ONE

INCH PER HOUR. THIS IS IN THE AREA WHERE AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 7 INCHES

PREVIOUSLY WERE DEEMED MOST LIKELY. SO FAR THE TOTALS EXCEEDING 6

INCHES HAVE ALL BEEN IN A VERY NARROW BAND RUNNING FROM CHAMPAIGN

COUNTY TO MARSHALL COUNTY. ALTHOUGH THESE HIGHER AMOUNTS DO APPEAR

LIKELY TO WORK THEIR WAY NORTH INTO PORTIONS OF FORD...LIVINGSTON...

AND LA SALLE COUNTIES...HAVE FOR SEVERAL REASONS DECIDED AGAINST

UPGRADING TO A WARNING AT THIS LATE HOUR.

THIS EARLIER HEAVY SNOW BAND WAS WELL CORRELATED WITH AN AREA OF

PROLONGED AND STRONG 700MB MOISTURE CONVERGENCE DEPICTED IN THE RUC

MODEL. A CORRESPONDING FRONTOGENETICAL BAND IN THE 600-700MB LAYER

WAS ALSO PRESENT IN THE RUC FOR ROUGHLY THE SAME FIVE HOUR PERIOD.

FOLLOWING THE SAME MODEL THROUGH THE MORNING HOURS...THE

FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING IS EXPECTED TO WEAKEN SLIGHTLY AND THEN

REINTENSIFY ACROSS SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF OUR CWA. AREAS GENERALLY

SOUTH OF I-80 AND WEST OF I-65 COULD SEE AN ADDITIONAL FOUR INCHES

OF SNOWFALL THROUGH 9 OR 10 AM...WITH SNOW SLOWLY TAPERING OFF

DURING THE LATE MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON. THIS WOULD VERY LIKELY

BRING STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL ABOVE THE 6 INCH MARK FOR PARTS OF

FORD...LIVINGSTON...AND LA SALLE COUNTIES...THOUGH STILL BELIEVE

MOST OF THE AREA IN THOSE COUNTIES WILL STAY BELOW THE WARNING

CRITERIA FOR A 12 AND 24 HOUR SNOWFALL.

OTHER LOCATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO RECEIVE LESSER AMOUNTS...THOUGH THE

EXCEPTION COULD BE PORTIONS OF LAKE AND COOK COUNTIES IN ILLINOIS IF

A MESOLOW DEVELOPS AND WORKS ITS WAY DOWN THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE

LAKE AS THE HIGHER RESOLUTION RUC AND NAM MODELS HAVE BEEN

DEPICTING. SINCE RELATIVELY LITTLE SNOW HAS FALLEN SO FAR IN THESE

TWO COUNTIES...AND SINCE THE NAM AND RUC BOTH APPEAR TO FOCUS THE

BRUNT OF MESOLOW LAKE EFFECT SNOWFALL NORTH OF THE WISCONSIN

LINE...AM NOT PRESENTLY ANTICIPATING THE NEED FOR A SEPARATE LAKE

EFFECT SNOW HEADLINE FOR THOSE COUNTIES.

LENNING

Haha, I gripe about it, and now we're getting 1/3 to 1/2 SM and moderate snow. Temperamental little system. :lol:

Edit: Something funky going on just off the western shore of LM by ORD. It could be propagation of the synoptic snow, but I think I detect some northward moving returns. Our mesolow getting underway slowly?

Any decent returns get munched up before reaching here as expected... Heavy dusting so far for 4 hrs of snow. LES going to have to do a # to get the 4-6" possible forecasted. Vibes of last winter brought back as I patiently (haha) wait for something other than very light sugar snow to excite me.

Buried :guitar:

2w4y8ow.jpg

I hope this storm teaches everyone a lesson in forecasting potential banded precip events, the kind of gradients that can develop, and the potential for heavy snow...the fact models will flip-flop back and forth yet one needs to keep a realistic forecast, and that these type of events are impossible to nail down 4-5 days out. Snowman.gif

Does anyone know how much la cross has? Seems they have been in great banding all night

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LA CROSSE WI333 AM CST SAT DEC 04 2010..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON.....DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.... ..REMARKS..0330 AM HEAVY SNOW 3 E LA CROSSE 43.83N 91.17W12/04/2010 M6.2 INCH LA CROSSE WI NWS EMPLOYEE NWS LA CROSSE

That is the latest LSR.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LA CROSSE WI333 AM CST SAT DEC 04 2010..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON.....DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.... ..REMARKS..0330 AM HEAVY SNOW 3 E LA CROSSE 43.83N 91.17W12/04/2010 M6.2 INCH LA CROSSE WI NWS EMPLOYEE NWS LA CROSSE

That is the latest LSR.

Thanks...hope you enjoyed this event, seemed like alot of fun.

I hope this storm teaches everyone a lesson in forecasting potential banded precip events, the kind of gradients that can develop, and the potential for heavy snow...the fact models will flip-flop back and forth yet one needs to keep a realistic forecast, and that these type of events are impossible to nail down 4-5 days out. Snowman.gif

Probably the biggest surprise for me so far is what happened around Champaign IL. Banded precip/localized heavier amount, sure, but you're always a little taken back when you see it outperform to that extent. At least I am. Fascinating stuff.

Probably the biggest surprise for me so far is what happened around Champaign IL. Banded precip/localized heavier amount, sure, but you're always a little taken back when you see it outperform to that extent. At least I am. Fascinating stuff.

Yeah agreed. That band was awesome...saw it earlier. I guess I always take it from a forecasting perspective, and when you do, it is definitely frustrating and difficult. Really the only thing you can do is give a general amount then target areas where the probability for heavier local banding is possible and maybe bump up forecast totals a tad (or give a larger range). As for that band, I saw some 35+ dbz in there...had to be some conditional instability released along that frontal zone. Impressive stuff.

A few more pics.

I'm supposed to be leaving for work, but they haven't plowed the street here yet, so I'm completely stuck. Even with my new tires lol.

I think you would prob be okay...that looks like alot of powder....but 5am saturday morning after 8 of snow, i would get stuck also

Archived