• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Tulip Trouncer Threat III - April Fool's Joke

Baroclinic Zone

Damn Will is money. Added up all Aprils with 4+ and the average March for Boston is 9.3.

I feel like the pattern that usually is prevalent during March, many times last through April so it would make sense. It's usually later April or May where things really shift around in these parts.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember you guys in NYC/LI had a snowstorm in early April 2003. I was in Germany and missed that, but I recall landing in JFK around the 10th and still seeing some snow banks.

It's weird because it seems like when we were in our less snowy phase in the 70s, 80s and 90s, March was more snowier than December. This was also the case back in the 50s. The 60s were actually a time period when both December and March were snowy so it didn't fit the pattern.

The 00s have been awesome for early season snowfalls-- December specifically-- although we batted a total zero for November!

The funny thing about April 1996 out here is that it was the largest storm of that season...you wouldn't think that in a season with a 133" total. But the blizzard of '96 "only" gave about 15" here and there was 11" on the 1/12 and 14" in the Jan 3-4th storm. About 10-11" in the Mar 7-8 storm. Just a parade of double digit storms generally under 15" until that April bomb gave 18". Slightly OT but kind of weird.

I remember you guys in NYC/LI had a snowstorm in early April 2003. I was in Germany and missed that, but I recall landing in JFK around the 10th and still seeing some snow banks.

Yup 7" on April 7, 2003.... the last significant one before that was 6" here on April 9-10, 1996... parts of Long Island got 13" in that one.

The funny thing about April 1996 out here is that it was the largest storm of that season...you wouldn't think that in a season with a 133" total. But the blizzard of '96 "only" gave about 15" here and there was 11" on the 1/12 and 14" in the Jan 3-4th storm. About 10-11" in the Mar 7-8 storm. Just a parade of double digit storms generally under 15" until that April bomb gave 18". Slightly OT but kind of weird.

Wow, you actually had back to back HECS in April (1996 and 1997.)

We had some nice late season events up to 2003. Lately, they haven't been around all that much, perhaps a little climo trying to intervene.

Edit: Kevin got a few inches in '06, but I mean widespread stuff.

'96 didnt really feel like a HECS...probably because where I was living at the time got a bit less being 450 feet lower down than the airport. It was a great storm though. 1997 is in a league by itself though for late season monsters.

Archived