amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Tulip Trouncer Threat - End of March/ Early April

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z GFS is pretty impressive for the interior on Mar 30-31...probably a moderate snowstorm. Its cold at the sfc too.

It's pretty cold near BOS too, looking at the soundings.

I still don't know what to make of it, but the s/w is gently coming in a little stronger and further south with each run. GFS now tries to dig for oil in the Gulf with the second system and cuts that system off down there.

It's pretty cold near BOS too, looking at the soundings.

I still don't know what to make of it, but the s/w is gently coming in a little stronger and further south with each run. GFS now tries to dig for oil in the Gulf with the second system and cuts that system off down there.

Having the Euro and its ensemble trend toward the GFS on the Mar 30-31 system gives a bit more confidence that the trend might be real. However, given the time frame, still can't really expect much yet. I'd still like to see the dynamics a bit more vigorous...GFS at 18z trended that way, but still could be better.

Having the Euro and its ensemble trend toward the GFS on the Mar 30-31 system gives a bit more confidence that the trend might be real. However, given the time frame, still can't really expect much yet. I'd still like to see the dynamics a bit more vigorous...GFS at 18z trended that way, but still could be better.

If that s/w can come a little further south, it would be a nice NJ model nuke as John would like to say.

What would need to see happen for it to become more vigorous? More separation of the 500 lows? Diggier 500 low? Would we want kind of a low reformation on the coast from OHIO or would we want the primary to head for the coast?

What would need to see happen for it to become more vigorous? More separation of the 500 lows? Diggier 500 low? Would we want kind of a low reformation on the coast from OHIO or would we want the primary to head for the coast?

Keep the s/w more potent as it slides underneath SNE...it will redevelop the primary into a nice little nuke off NJ that tracks NE past the Cape.

But that s/w probably needs a little more room to do so.

At home our local "outhouse through the ice" is still not through.

2 years ago it broke through on 3/20, last year on 3/13

We guessed today at 12:15PM, but I'm guessing it is still on top of the ice. (hick town thing....cash prizes, and beef)

I told you that was way to early. Ice isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe 4/20.

18z ensembles definitely like the Mar 30 potential more than the Apr 1-2 storm. It still shows both in the mean, but the 30th is way more defined now. It'll be interesting if that's the event that ends up doing something more significant because it seems as if it has the least room for really amplifying...but it just might have enough space to pull a little miller B nuke on us. I'm still kind of skeptical though given the two other waves.

18z ensembles definitely like the Mar 30 potential more than the Apr 1-2 storm. It still shows both in the mean, but the 30th is way more defined now. It'll be interesting if that's the event that ends up doing something more significant because it seems as if it has the least room for really amplifying...but it just might have enough space to pull a little miller B nuke on us. I'm still kind of skeptical though given the two other waves.

My Birthday storm :thumbsup:

5-8" of school cancelling, crocus crushing blue snow :snowman:

The April 82 was so impressive that it gave me 8" on the south shore of Long Island.

The April 6, 1982 KU was the most impressive from 4/1 -> IMO because it was like a mid Winter storm (at least inland). Dry blowing snow and 20F at noon. That is just crazy anomalous. So if you are quantifying them by more than just max. snowfall then that storm was more freakish than 4/1/97.

I'm hoping for the 30th to pan out.

I told you that was way to early. Ice isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe 4/20.

I pushed for March 28, but my wife thought that was too late. Compromise ftl. No ice fishing for the last week or so...

600+ lb outhouse that is used for a community funsdraiser / fire dept ice rescue training thing

28.2F tasty spring

When you think about it, the single most important factor re: snow chances from the storm may not have anything to do with meteorology. It is what time if the day does the bulk of it fall. At least in the lowlands.. Pete will get destroyed regardless. :)

The sun is ugly now.... Wiped out the 1.4" of powder yesterday in like 90 minutes with temperatures not yet even over 32F.

When you think about it, the single most important factor re: snow chances from the storm may not have anything to do with meteorology. It is what time if the day does the bulk of it fall. At least in the lowlands.. Pete will get destroyed regardless. :)

The sun is ugly now.... Wiped out the 1.4" of powder yesterday in like 90 minutes with temperatures not yet even over 32F.

Very good point. Night time is the right time

I'm going to have to keep tabs on what's going on here when I'm away as I don't want to miss my chance to say "I told you so" when an April Bomb drops a crippling snowfall. Also, don't encourage Will to make yet another unprovoked attack on me.lol

I'm going to have to keep tabs on what's going on here when I'm away as I don't want to miss my chance to say "I told you so" when an April Bomb drops a crippling snowfall. Also, don't encourage Will to make yet another unprovoked attack on me.lol

I saw that and read it twice... not sure if he meant what he wrote...

Premonition on the way?

If the precipitation intensity is mostly moderate or light during the storm, then the difference between day and night is huge. If its very heavy precip falling, then it can pile up in the daytime as the very deep moisture and intense snow will pretty much block out all the solar insolation.

I mentioned to Scott (coastalwx) how April 28-29, 1987 had more than half of the 17" accumulate during the daylight hours of the 28th...and that was almost May, lol. I think he posted the metar further back. It was falling so heavy that it didn't matter much. But for the bulk of these events, we don't see precip rates like that, so it definitely helps to have it at night.

LOL. I wonder if we're talking about the same infraction. What post are you thinking of? As for the premonition, it won't surprise me in the least if it comes to pass.

Something like you have totals that are out of whack with what common sense says they should be...

I think he meant he understands you live in a special place wrt snow/cold, even for "just" 1400', etc.

Common sense says you should not get 130" or whatever of snow, but your glen-ness allows for it?

I guess. Not meaning to a) speak for Will, or B) stir up a hornet's nest

Something like you have totals that are out of whack with what common sense says they should be...

I think he meant he understands you live in a special place wrt snow/cold, even for "just" 1400', etc.

Common sense says you should not get 130" or whatever of snow, but your glen-ness allows for it?

I guess. Not meaning to a) speak for Will, or B) stir up a hornet's nest

LOl, yep that's the one. Lot's of 100+" Winters here as per the defunct Chesterfield Co-Op. I build houses for a living, it requires advanced measuring skills. I'm pretty confident about my ability to accurately measure snow.

LOl, yep that's the one. Lot's of 100+" Winters here as per the defunct Chesterfield Co-Op. I build houses for a living, it requires advanced measuring skills. I'm pretty confident about my ability to accurately measure snow.

The house you build are kinda fugly. I hope it is the design and not slant stick mistakes...:P

We set up the scouts first aluminum derby track tonight. Very sweet, fast track. We had poor measuring skills. Took a while to get it straight.

I really hope at least one good spring snow hits us. Last week was a good appetizer.

models must be great tonight lol...6 users on in prime model time

Daylight savings time...the GFS is only just coming out. It looks a shade further north with the Mar 30 system and its still quite robust. It actually reminds me a tad of that system we just had on Monday with the cold air out ahead of it. So even though it initially tracks the primary decently north, it has a solid shot of WAA snow. It still doesn't like the Apr 1-2 system that much but its a lot closer to a phase this run vs 18z.

Not worth staying up for the Euro this far out. Hopefully one of these threats will still look good by early next week.

Daylight savings time...the GFS is only just coming out. It looks a shade further north with the Mar 30 system and its still quite robust. It actually reminds me a tad of that system we just had on Monday with the cold air out ahead of it. So even though it initially tracks the primary decently north, it has a solid shot of WAA snow. It still doesn't like the Apr 1-2 system that much but its a lot closer to a phase this run vs 18z.

Not worth staying up for the Euro this far out. Hopefully one of these threats will still look good by early next week.

It looks as if even I get snow from the 0z GFS, would be an incredible to have snow here on 3/30 from a SW flow event but this block has ushered in an unseasonably cold airmass.

Will, do you believe the CAD the GFS is showing around 114? Could this system trend a lot warmer with the primary so far north and secondary development looking to be much more limited than initially thought?

Archived