Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March 22-23 OBS/Disco

nzucker

Guest Pamela

How are you enjoying the snow william? It usually does not snow here after feb 28

How are you Tim my friend. Very sorry you weren't able to make it into NYC last Saturday...had a good dinner.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say we have about a half inch now on the Upper West Side (on cartops etc--a coating on sidewalks now, streets still just wet). Light snow at the moment.

This storm does not want to quit here...back edge approaching but another nice band has popped up over Westchester. I have to go to bed but here are my final obs:

-SN

29.2/28

2" new tonight, 2.5" storm total

69.5" this season

Guest Pamela

Good my friend. Would have been great to meet you guys. Unfortunately I had a prior engagement. Glad you had a good time.

We'll meet again ...don't know where...don't know when...some sunny day.

This storm does not want to quit here...back edge approaching but another nice band has popped up over Westchester. I have to go to bed but here are my final obs:

-SN

29.2/28

2" new tonight, 2.5" storm total

69.5" this season

Yes snowing even harder now as the back of the final band doesn't want to leave.

I drove home from work at around 915 pm. It was the first time i EVER drove in thundersnow! Amazing! 1/8 mile VIS and it covered the roads in minutes. Epic! Was heavy wet snow that stuck to my car in the parking lot before I left and it just plastered the roads ( including the highly traveled I78). Then as I got closer to my condo, it was a mix of Snow and PL (heavy PL actually). Quite a great drive on my way home. Thank goodness for great tires on my new dodge charger. I never drove in that kind of snow. I've seen TSSN while inside my condo, but never drove in it. Quite a site. This was all along I78 in hunterdon county, NJ. Good stuff. It looks to have wind down here tnt tho. Not much more than 2-4 inches, but a great storm overall.

yep how bout that to fresh snowfalls in two nights. But he said I need a colder 850 to get snow at the end of march. Tri stat met says the euro model was rain for the coast.

Of course colder 850s would have helped us out a lot more. You do realize that a good portion of this event ended up being sleet/rain, don't you? We had rain/sleet for a lot of the day and evening here. A lot of accumulation was lost due to the temps, and the fact that the precip wasn't heavy enough without a bombing coastal low. Yeah, I ended up with a little more than I expected here. I got 1.5 early in the morning, and another half inch tonight. My call for NYC ended up being pretty good with a dusting to an inch. No one is perfect and my call certainly wasn't, but whose was with this event? A lot of people were too high ... I saw some 3 to 5 calls for NYC. These March storms are so tough to predict. My call was better than some other people, so it's pretty odd that you're calling me out here.

Guest Pamela

Moderate snow, freshening northeast wind in Port Jeff. What is the rule for measuring snow on the grass, i.e....how much are you supposed to subtract off the top since it is a grass measurement...(I don't recall)

Not sure, but try to measure on another surface like a deck or table.

Moderate snow, freshening northeast wind in Port Jeff. What is the rule for measuring snow on the grass, i.e....how much are you supposed to subtract off the top since it is a grass measurement...(I don't recall)

This is likely to be the biggest snowfall in the last week of Mar (Mar 25-31) since Mar 29, 1974 for parts of Queens and Nassau. Of course, given recent climo for the end of March, that's not saying much :P

Mar 28-29, 1984 also had a general 2-3" across NYC and western LI. It was a huge nor'easter that was mostly rain, but it was cold enough to snow for a few periods in the storm.

Still snowing nicely here-- we've now exceeded last night's 1".... 1.5" so far tonight. Down to 31 now.

This is likely to be the biggest snowfall in the last week of Mar (Mar 25-31) since 1974 for parts of Queens and Nassau. Of course, given recent climo for the end of March, that's not saying much :)

Mar 28-29, 1984 also had a general 2-3 across NYC and western LI. It was a huge nor'easter that was mostly rain, but it was cold enough to snow for a few periods in the storm.

JC, what's made the band keep backbuilding over this area? The back end was racing eastward and then it came to a halt right over NYC and Long Island! It's still snowing pretty hard here, while the radar is clear about 25 miles west of here.

Guest Pamela

Measured 2.0"...there was a little more on the grass...seasonal total now at 60.3"...season goes in the book as an "A".

This is likely to be the biggest snowfall in the last week of Mar (Mar 25-31) since Mar 29, 1974 for parts of Queens and Nassau. Of course, given recent climo for the end of March, that's not saying much :P

Mar 28-29, 1984 also had a general 2-3" across NYC and western LI. It was a huge nor'easter that was mostly rain, but it was cold enough to snow for a few periods in the storm.

There was a boatload of sleet with that one at JFK. I had to walk backwards to my car that morning.

Archived