• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March 22-23 OBS/Disco

nzucker

The fact that lower resolution models like the GGEM and Ukie outperformed higher-resolution ones like the NAM, RGEM and HRRR is in this case has to do with the high-res models being too sensitive to convection.

Euro, UKIE and Ggem all nailed this at 12z today. They all had very little tonight and they were 100% correct.

American models failed until the 18z NAM which also took away tonights event.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that lower resolution models like the GGEM and Ukie outperformed higher-resolution ones like the NAM, RGEM and HRRR is in this case has to do with the high-res models being too sensitive to convection.

Do you think that area of precip in NJ can hit us?

Actually the best accumulations of the event here with consistent light snow at 31.5/30. Really sticking well in the elevated nature preserve behind my house.

The event's definitely not over. Should see off and on light snow continue through around 11z.

Do you think that area of precip in NJ can hit us?

Actually the best accumulations of the event here with consistent light snow at 31.5/30. Really sticking well in the elevated nature preserve behind my house.

There were definitely warning signs on the models that temps would be a big problem for areas near the coast. These areas really needed a bombing coastal low, since temps were very borderline. This is why I called for only a trace to an inch for NYC, and it looks as if that's working out well.

No, you keep thinking temperature is the most impotant variable here - it's not, intensity is. I live a few miles from Raritan Bay, i.e., pretty damn near the coast, and received 2.5" of snow this morning. I just happened to be in a fortunate spot that received an hour or two of higher intensity snow when it was 33-34 at the surface - if Central Park had received the same intensity snow as I did before sunrise, they also would've accumulated a similar amount. Of course, temperature is important, as most places that received 0.5" or more of QPF during the daylight hours, but failed to accumulate much snow, would have accumulated low intensity snow at the same surface temps in January, but there's no question it wasn't too warm for accumulating snow, given a decent snowfall rate, meaning a coastal bomb, while nice, wasn't necessary.

No, you keep thinking temperature is the most impotant variable here - it's not, intensity is. I live a few miles from Raritan Bay, i.e., pretty damn near the coast, and received 2.5" of snow this morning. I just happened to be in a fortunate spot that received an hour or two of higher intensity snow when it was 33-34 at the surface - if Central Park had received the same intensity snow as I did before sunrise, they also would've accumulated a similar amount. Of course, temperature is important, as most places that received 0.5" or more of QPF during the daylight hours, but failed to accumulate much snow, would have accumulated low intensity snow at the same surface temps in January, but there's no question it wasn't too warm for accumulating snow, given a decent snowfall rate, meaning a coastal bomb, while nice, wasn't necessary.

The night time timing + intensity is what did it... that's why we're closing in on 2" total here on the south shore also. It's actually been colder than progged the last 2 nights; around 32 here both nights.

Yes, snowing very nicely here,even had some bursts of moderate intensity, best part of the storm.

-SN

29.9/29

1.25" new tonight, 1.75" storm total

Impressive to be snowing in the 20s in late March here.

Yup snowing here moderately also-- looks like all those backbuilding ideas weren't so farfetched after all. It would be funny if we were the only people awake to witness this lol.

Yup snowing here moderately also-- looks like all those backbuilding ideas weren't so farfetched after all. It would be funny if we were the only people awake to witness this lol.

If it's snowing, but no one is awake to see it, did it really snow?

A bad parody of the "tree falling in the forest with no one there" thing. :P

yeah he drop the ball. I had a soil temp of 50 and ended up with 2 on the grass and close to a inch on paved surfaces. He said he be shock if his back yard got more then a slushy coating. It did and now he is trying to lobby his case with time square.

yeah he drop the ball. I had a soil temp of 50 and ended up with 2 on the grass and close to a inch on paved surfaces. He said he be shock if his back yard got more then a slushy coating. It did and now he is trying to lobby his case with time square.

And we just got some more accumulating snow, too.

Getting accumulating snow in late March is more common than getting 60"+ of snow in a strong La Nina. Oh hey, we did that too!

And we just got some more accumulating snow, too.

Getting accumulating snow in late March is more common than getting 60"+ of snow in a strong La Nina. Oh hey, we did that too!

yep how bout that to fresh snowfalls in two nights. But he said I need a colder 850 to get snow at the end of march. Tri stat met says the euro model was rain for the coast.

Archived