Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV : (Not During Storms) OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

91.0 yesterday in NW Chesco for the 3rd 90+ day. We go from 10 days straight measurable rain

to 10 days with no rain I guess. Time to drag out the pump to get some stream water on the garden.

Whatever happened to 1" per week?

I am now worried about drought conditions for our region. My yard is now becoming cracked badly and the grass has all basically stopped growing. I edged a week ago and i dont even have to do any edging yet, which is bad. And to what i am seeing on the forecast models is no measurable precip for a while. So the growing of the grass will be very slow if at all any.

The low DP and breezy conditions will only add on to the drought like feel/look of the ground surface. Dry as a bone in Northern DE. I could care less about my grass but I have way too much invested in my other landscaping so I need the rain or else I'm out there watering everything every 3rd day. Its a pain. Really could have used a downpour last night.

Fire fighters hard at work in southern Chester County's mushroom country. Two hay fields are burning today.

Dang thats def. not good. Hopefully since the forecast calls for showers and thunderstorms this weekend albeit very low chance of anything, but hopefully these showers can drop over a 10th of an inch or hopefully even a quarter of an inch to help us out.

I am now worried about drought conditions for our region. My yard is now becoming cracked badly and the grass has all basically stopped growing. I edged a week ago and i dont even have to do any edging yet, which is bad. And to what i am seeing on the forecast models is no measurable precip for a while. So the growing of the grass will be very slow if at all any.

We aren't close to a drought. Palmer index and soil moisture content is normal for these parts. Just because your area is cracked doesn't justify other areas. Your soil could be more porus which allows water to infiltrate faster or it has poor water holding capacity. Grass is going to slow down do to the heat and soil temperature. Once the soil temperature gets above 70-75 cool season grass shuts down while warm season grass (if you have it) prospers.

Also, when issuing a drought its not based that heavily on moisture content of the soil. It goes by the groundwater tables and water storage in resivoirs, river and creek flow.

curr.w.anom.daily.gif

sdohomeweb.gif

My yard is at its peak right now (as it was last year at this time)......its after Fathers Day if it stays dry and hot that things crash and burn. Doesn't bother me though as it all turns green again by September.

By the way, must have had gusts close to 40 mph this afternoon. I was walking on the Perkiomen Trail and watched one 15 foot branch (dieing) fall from a tree about 40ft. from me. The trail was littered with twigs and small branches.

:snowman:

anything up the peak?

In the 5 Junes I've been in Elko (OMG I can't believe this is the 5th one already), this is the first time that snowflakes actually made it to the valley floor. Graupel is much more common (and in fact we had graupel before we had the big fat wet snowflakes).

Snow level in the photo below is perhaps 1500 feet above the valley floor... that was my original estimate but now that I look closer I realize that the summit is obscured by clouds so it might be more like 500-1,000 feet above.

post-39-0-44914500-1307072310.jpg

In the 5 Junes I've been in Elko (OMG I can't believe this is the 5th one already), this is the first time that snowflakes actually made it to the valley floor. Graupel is much more common (and in fact we had graupel before we had the big fat wet snowflakes).

Snow level in the photo below is perhaps 1500 feet above the valley floor... that was my original estimate but now that I look closer I realize that the summit is obscured by clouds so it might be more like 500-1,000 feet above.

Cool, thanks for sharing Ray.

Perfect window open weather with the exception of the fact that my allergies are going crazy right now and I had to shut them this morning...must be a bad allergy season since I rarely have problems with them.

51.8f at 6:30am.

40's tonight lock-n-load.

Archived