wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March 10 - March 11 Redux Event

tornadojay

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live up in Ringwood, and I'm frequently driving either on Route 23 or along the Passaic River in Paterson. I fully expect both roads to be closed for all or part of Thursday and Friday. Does anyone know if local or county police/OEM need volunteers to assist with anything? I don't really have any training, but would be willing to help if things get really bad this week.

Do we know the timing? I know some models were showing it as more of a 2 part event with some rain tonight and tomorrow and then another batch towards Friday. 2 to 2.5" spread out over 36 hours might be our saving grace, although it isn't going to help the rivers in any way

euro is 2+ from nyc west

Its alot wetter for the metro area then 00z was

Do we know the timing? I know some models were showing it as more of a 2 part event with some rain tonight and tomorrow and then another batch towards Friday. 2 to 2.5" spread out over 36 hours might be our saving grace, although it isn't going to help the rivers in any way

we get prob .25-.50 for the first part tonight into tommorrow AM. The rest is from tommorrow afternoon into friday morning.

at least nzucker will be safe at 401ft

Yeah these events don't interest me at all, just runs down the hill. The only bad part is it closes the Saw Mill Parkway for days which makes it impossible to get to work drunk.gif

Too bad there won't be many flakes in the Westchester Alps tonight, not that you would see them anyways. More interested in the Day 6/7 threat.

Yeah these events don't interest me at all, just runs down the hill. The only bad part is it closes the Saw Mill Parkway for days which makes it impossible to get to work drunk.gif

Too bad there won't be many flakes in the Westchester Alps tonight, not that you would see them anyways. More interested in the Day 6/7 threat.

Westchester roads are horrible with flooding!

Westchester roads are horrible with flooding!

Yeah the Saw Mill/Taconic pretty much suck if it rains which makes some places very hard to access. There is always a closure just past the 287/87 interchange that gums things up. Hutchinson and Bronx River Parkways are also hazardous when heavy rains occur in the County, especially with the repeated moisture like we've had this season with 25" snowpack melting and then three major rainstorms in a row.

Route 9 and the Thruway stay in good shape though, which means you're never totally screwed around my area of SW Westchester. It does become extremely hard in the eastern sections of the County to commute since there aren't a lot of options to the Bronx River/Hutch except for always crowded 95.

Yeah the Saw Mill/Taconic pretty much suck if it rains which makes some places very hard to access. There is always a closure just past the 287/87 interchange that gums things up. Hutchinson and Bronx River Parkways are also hazardous when heavy rains occur in the County, especially with the repeated moisture like we've had this season with 25" snowpack melting and then three major rainstorms in a row.

Route 9 and the Thruway stay in good shape though, which means you're never totally screwed around my area of SW Westchester. It does become extremely hard in the eastern sections of the County to commute since there aren't a lot of options to the Bronx River/Hutch except for always crowded 95.

yea... the big problem area in Rockland is always on Route 59 in front of the Palisades mall. I have this Rockland County history book and it has pictures of epic floods that took place in that area back in like 1900. It's pretty amazing. They are doing major road construction in that area now and trying to address the water drainage... The mall is in a huge valley so the water collects very easily.

Not sure why the coastal flooding threat is being brushed aside by the NWS. Winds have increased significantly today - up to 27 mph with gusts to 34 mph at Shinnecock Inlet on eastern LI. We have about 40 hours more of E/SE winds at 20-30 mph, which will continue to pile water up, esp. along the South Shore of LI.

Archived