• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NJ snowfall archive 2000-present (UPDATED with 2011-12)

Isotherm

Good job, I'm sure that took some time. The one thing that jumps out is the lowest snowfall totals last winter were in the central/NE parts of the state. Too far north in the Feb 5th and Dec storms and too far south on the Feb 25-26 storm, still nice totals of course. You should do one with a combined total of the past 9 winters

Posted this in the Philly thread, but it's applicable here too. Took awhile to compile so hope it's accurate. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://www.lightinthestorm.com/weather-why-of-the-week

Good job, I'm sure that took some time. The one thing that jumps out is the lowest snowfall totals last winter were in the central/NE parts of the state. Too far north in the Feb 5th and Dec storms and too far south on the Feb 25-26 storm, still nice totals of course. You should do one with a combined total of the past 9 winters

Thanks! And that's an interesting idea you have regarding the 9 season combined total. I've thought of doing an average snowfall map for the state but maybe I'll do that as well when I have some free time this summer.

did the northern areas of Jersey REALLY get that much snow last year?

Yeah they got pummeled with the late feb snowicane, upwards of 30" in the higher terrain of Sussex and Passaic. Some areas, like Cliffwood lakes, ended up a few inches shy of 100".

Thanks for taking the time to make those maps! They really illustrate the incredible snowy period we've been in since winter 2002-2003. Looks like every winter was at or above average except for 2006-2007 and 2007-2008.

And as someone else said they really highlight where the snow"hole" in NJ has been for the last two winters. For winter 2009-2010 the lowest totals in the state were in central and NE NJ, but then NE and east-central NJ got blasted this winter from the 12/26 storm. So basically the least snow has been in west-central NJ (Mercer, Hunterdon, and Somerset counties). Can't really complain since I've still gotten a lot, but it's still kinda frustrating.

Guest Patrick

The actual final totals last winter included a "snow hole" over lower Eastern Passaic County (my house) that I dared not complain about until after winter was over, at the risk of being weenie tagged.

Obviously it still wasn't a bad winter overall, but I averaged a good 10" or so less than every surrounding town. Pretty funny stuff. This year made up for it, as I jackpotted with the blizzard =)

did the northern areas of Jersey REALLY get that much snow last year?

Those maps are great. Thank you for posting them. If it isn't too much trouble, could you possibly add 2000-01? If it is too much work don't bother as I can always refer to Ray's site but I'd love to see the 2000-01 graphic represented the same way you have the other years.

The actual final totals last winter included a "snow hole" over lower Eastern Passaic County (my house) that I dared not complain about until after winter was over, at the risk of being weenie tagged.

Obviously it still wasn't a bad winter overall, but I averaged a good 10" or so less than every surrounding town. Pretty funny stuff. This year made up for it, as I jackpotted with the blizzard =)

We weren't even jackpotted.... Union County was. :P

eyeballing the Utah Climate center I counted Sussex N.J. getting 51.6" and Port Jervis N.Y. 71.8"

I got 51.5" and 62.0", but then my eyeball is a bit more aged than yours. :lol:

Essentially the entire difference came on 2/26.

PtJ....33....19....1.46...25.5....28 (Up from 4 on 2/25.)

Sus...34....23....0.79...15.5....18 (Up from 6 on 2/25.)

PtJ is 20' higher and 10-15 miles NW. Must've just gotten more of the best bands overhead.

I got 51.5" and 62.0", but then my eyeball is a bit more aged than yours. :lol:

Essentially the entire difference came on 2/26.

PtJ....33....19....1.46...25.5....28 (Up from 4 on 2/25.)

Sus...34....23....0.79...15.5....18 (Up from 6 on 2/25.)

PtJ is 20' higher and 10-15 miles NW. Must've just gotten more of the best bands overhead.

now I have to check my eyeballing...:arrowhead:

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Did you leave out 01-02 on purpose because you were disgusted by the results that year? :scooter:

Yeah I think when I was initially making these, I figured why bother with 01-02 since snow totals were abysmal, no one wants to see it. But now that you mention it, I'll probably throw that year on one of these days.

Archived