• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

Looking out the window here in Winooski it still looks like all rain. BTV still reporting 32F on their website.

Yup back to rain indeed. I think we will see this wiffle waffle squizzle squazzle for the next hour or so. But it is down to 28 degrees.....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your winds Brian have been ne all morning no? only 42 here. I would guess we mix out though as the front gets close? ... temp rises and then we wait for the plunge which will likely be too slow for significant frozen.

Due south here. I have a messed up connection in my anemometer wire. When it was cold all winter the connection was better when the wire compressed a bit. With a little warmth it expands enough that I get no wind direction. Hence it reports due north. I just played with the calibration on weatherlink and set it at 180 instead of 360. I have another anemometer ready to go up, but there's nothing I can do until the snow is melted off of the roof.

Yup back to rain indeed. I think we will see this wiffle waffle squizzle squazzle for the next hour or so. But it is down to 28 degrees.....

Damn.... 48.5 here west of Rutland. The far southern tendrils of the Champlain valley extend down to my neck of the woods, but I don't expect the cold to bleed down here until after 5:00 or so...

Wow... 12z NAM is a crushing heavy wet snowfall.

I just spent the night at a friend's in Colchester, VT (Champlain Valley just N of BTV) and when I left it was 30F with ZR and visible icing on trees. He just sent a text that says they are over to snow now. Saw some sleet in the Essex/Richmond area and temps slowly rose all the way home... 35F here right now but dropping quickly.

Still can't believe how much QPF the 12z NAM drops here. This is all snow per NAM up here.... wow.

nam_p24_030l.gif

Damn.... 48.5 here west of Rutland. The far southern tendrils of the Champlain valley extend down to my neck of the woods, but I don't expect the cold to bleed down here until after 5:00 or so...

middlebury crashed to 33 dropped about 15 degrees in 22 mins. that was about 30 min ago. how far west of rutland ctr are you?

NEW 12z gfs ticks colder for greens ...puts Rutland into what looks like a snow bomb! even puts area over by bennington on the line by 1 am.

FSO in NW VT is over to 1SM -SN. Getting the slow drop and wind shift at EFK and MVL now too. This cold will have an easier time rushing due south down the Champlain Valley though

Wherever Nan is she is in line for a lot of snow. Probably a little upslope enhancement too on those western ridges.

I'm feeling this one all the sudden... dropping now to 34F here. A buddy is reporting sleet in Williston, VT now. Cold air is definitely deepening on the VT side of the Valley now. Flakes just north of BTV now... like 2 towns north (Colchester). It shouldn't be long now for BTV.

It was in the 40s F and had a spring feel before, but when we came out of mass at around 10:00 A.M. the temperature had dropped dramatically into the mid 30s F. The moderate rainfall had also become very heavy rainfall and everyone was rushing to their vehicles. I was certainly hoping that rain like that was either snow or becoming snow in the mountains, because it probably would have been 2+ inches per hour. Based on the big drop in temperatures we saw here and the reports in the thread, it sounds like snow is getting close. I’ll try to keep checking outside to get an idea of when the changeover occurs at this location/elevation. I’ll also check the gauge at that point and get a number for the liquid portion of this event.

I'm feeling this one all the sudden... dropping now to 34F here. A buddy is reporting sleet in Williston, VT now. Cold air is definitely deepening on the VT side of the Valley now. Flakes just north of BTV now... like 2 towns north (Colchester). It shouldn't be long now for BTV.

BTV is snow, lookin across the river from Wnooski, it's white. With 1.75-2.00 QPF here in the NW VT per the 12z NAM, are we looking at something like 16" now?

You guys are getting crushed. Enjoy! :)

It was in the 40s F and had a spring feel before, but when we came out of mass at around 10:00 A.M. the temperature had dropped dramatically into the mid 30s F. The moderate rainfall had also become very heavy rainfall and everyone was rushing to their vehicles. I was certainly hoping that rain like that was either snow or becoming snow in the mountains, because it probably would have been 2+ inches per hour. Based on the big drop in temperatures we saw here and the reports in the thread, it sounds like snow is getting close. I’ll try to keep checking outside to get an idea of when the changeover occurs at this location/elevation. I’ll also check the gauge at that point and get a number for the liquid portion of this event.

I'm curious when you change to snow... it sounds like flakes are now mixing in Williston. You will probably change over before me as the cold air will filter between the Spine there in the Winooski Valley much easier than here where it needs to come over Mansfield.

BTV is snow, lookin across the river from Wnooski, it's white. With 1.75-2.00 QPF here in the NW VT per the 12z NAM, are we looking at something like 16" now?

I'm inclined to drop QPF amounts by like 30% because that's just excessive... I do think we will see widespread 10"+ amounts now though across northern VT. The Champlain Valley side of VT is going to get annihilated with NNW winds causing speed convergence and upslope on the VT side of the lake.

I think this could turn out to be one of the bigger events of the season as the 12z models are depicting. I'm thinking we have 1-1.5" QPF coming this evening and tonight.

Per Sugarbush website, Summits are now at 32. Still light rain here at base-- getting closer.

Yeah, Mansfield was 34F at 10:05am and that was the last update. Its gotta be snowing up there now.

I've got a Mountain Operations meeting at Noon so I'll need to leave here and head up to the mountain in 45 minutes. Should be interesting to hear what's going on up there. Its gotta be snowing at the top by now.

Yeah, Mansfield was 34F at 10:05am and that was the last update. Its gotta be snowing up there now.

I've got a Mountain Operations meeting at Noon so I'll need to leave here and head up to the mountain in 45 minutes. Should be interesting to hear what's going on up there. Its gotta be snowing at the top by now.fl

keep us posted if you can. Looks like we are going to get plastered with high density snow -- hopefully setting up an awesome "spring" skiing and erasing the disaster of last night and this morning. It will be interesting to see Jspin's info in the morning -- comparing total snow from this to some of the fluff from earlier in the year. Enjoy!

This is going to be a BIG wintry event here. Huge you might say. The question is whether is whether it is sleet, or snow/sleet. I went with 5.5-11 inches in my last night forecast. I feel pretty good about hitting at least the lower range of that at kleb.

It's going to hurt me seeing you in 1/4SM +SN while I'm getting a 1SM +RA or FZRA.

It all evens out, ahahah. You have any thoughts on what I said? I'm always a consensus guy. Models are hinting at sleet for a while, but this thing looks so damn dynamic.

I think the cold air rushes down the valley a little earlier than progged. The NAM has the sfc front clearing you between 18-21z, but you don't reach below 32F until 0z. So maybe a little ZR an hour or two earlier than progged?

You are damn close to sleet soundings throughout the bulk of the 2nd wave though. If the NAM is done correcting you stay iffy, but around 0C at 800mb beyond 6z. We'll have to see how that snow line trends. Someone is going to ripped with a lot of ice overnight...probably south of LEB in the valley towards VSF.

Archived