joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if NAM will come east again at 6Z. Definately a big change. Vermont is definately in the game now. More more shift that big again on next run brings big snows into NH. Have to wait up for the GFS now and see if holds serve or ticks east. If it comes east the trend may not be over. Also NAM has near 3" QPF in much of C/N NE.

yea we could have some sleet taint but I think 6"+ is looking more and more likely...also with heavier precip and high omega's you can cool the column better and hopefully keep the mid levels just cool enough. Its one of those things where it dumps when the precip is heavy and mixed with sleet when its lighter.

nam gives us 2.2" qpf frozen....we might pull out a foot! (lots of ip/zr potentially looking at the 850s straddling st.j area

yea we could have some sleet taint but I think 6"+ is looking more and more likely...also with heavier precip and high omega's you can cool the column better and hopefully keep the mid levels just cool enough. Its one of those things where it dumps when the precip is heavy and mixed with sleet when its lighter.

Yeah I gotcha....I just don't see how we would only get 6"...with 2" qpf frozen, even if it were all sleet (3:1 ratios) we'd get 5-6"...i'm thinking 8-14" right now

Not too bad here so far. Been hovering in the low 40s since yesterday with little in the way of rainfall. Haven't measured yet but so far it can't be any more that 0.10" or so.

I know, the heavier stuff is on the way but so far, the thaw/torch has been relatively subtle.

Still have 27" at the stake.

See what happens later on today. Colder air on the crawl.

Man those upslope areas to the se of Burlington VT are gonna get crushed. Wow.

Gonna be an interesting day, no doubt there. Just looked at some webcams in upstate NY--out across the Daks and westward. Fresh snow evident there and moving east.

Hoping to avoid too much heavy rainfall before the turnover. So far so good, and, we haven't had the snow eating south winds so far either. I mean, there's a breeze out there from the south but not blowing too hard just yet. I was in western VT yesterday and man was it screaming over there. The Champlain valley is a big time corridor for winds whereas on this side of the state, we're more protected.

Might be time to go back to bed and wake up to white-plastered trees. :sleepy:

Toot, toot!

StormTotalSnowFcstSmall.png

Yessirree, Jaywalk!

Great sled ride yestiddy up to Schlockholm and the Eureka Hall trailside joint there. Tasty home-made salsa w/fresh cilantro- the key to quality salsa.

If I don't see cilantro seeds and stems in the bowl, I'm not burnin'.

A wet snow/sleet mix on the ride up. Went to rain as we chowed down and drank up inside.

Had a great ride home in barely a sprinkle. No face shield needed and fast, fast riding. Schlockholm through Caribooze to trailhead Vim Toot on the Pre Squeal line.

Faster than a speeding automobile.

40f now w/steady rain. A few windblown spots are bare. BFD.

Fcst looking great. I'm hoping for plenty of sleet to mix. I don't want to put 5 miles of trail in through 20" pow.

But I will if I must...

Not much interest in this storm up here from the fair weather fiends down there at the bottom of New England.

Bottom dwellers, seed casters and mud mechanics, all of 'em.

Vim Toot!

Not much interest in this storm up here from the fair weather fiends down there at the bottom of New England.

We're built to endure, quietly and without much, if any, fanfare.

These longitude events drive me nuts sometimes--light snow in eastern Kentucky right now and raining in Tootistan. The nerve!

These longitude events drive me nuts sometimes--light snow in eastern Kentucky right now and raining in Tootistan. The nerve!

This will be a great storm to watch unfold from a met standpoint. Powderfreak and Toot will be nude by this evening.

With the slow eastward march of this system, there was still essentially nothing in the rain gauge last night, but this morning I found 0.60 inches in there with light/moderate rain falling. I looked at the Intellicast colored radar and the snow depicted on there is getting close to the northwest corner of VT.

06MAR11A.gif

The latest temperature reading from up on Mt. Mansfield was 40 F, and looking at the temperature plot that hasn’t started falling yet. I added some of the latest BTV graphics below – the winter storm warnings have expanded in areal coverage and the expected snowfall has as well. The anticipated accumulations around here in the valley seem similar to the previous plot, but the projected snowfall amounts in some of the higher elevations seem to have come down a bit.

06MAR11A.jpg

06MAR11B.jpg

Looks like it.

You're only 38F?? That's pretty good..everyone around you is torching. It was very warm on my way end. Blah.

I'll be the first to admit my thermo is improperly sited (affixed to the north side of my kids' playhouse) and is probably out of calibration. I see that nearby mesonet sites are all at like 42F so let's go with 40-ish. Warm, at any rate.

Looks like 29" at the stake.

Yes. I, a Yankee, bear these burdens in profound silence.

The Hatfields and McCoys will hear no whines from clan Vim Toot regarding their temporary good fortune. They are only borrowing a little snow and will return it to it's owners this evening.

Now, the stoplight commandoes, big box boyos and fog zombies of SNE are another matter.

Snow thieves and ice hogs rule the day there.

Braying, shrieking and grunting in their once-white underpants, these agents managed a giant heist in January invading winter's Topkapi and bagging NNE's snowy jewels. The hooting of these katzenjammers was an assault on our refined NNE sensibilities.

But now they wail. Inconsolable majors of mudd.

I gloat.

Mica Vim Toot!

The Hatfields and McCoys will hear no whines from clan Vim Toot regarding their temporary good fortune. They are only borrowing a little snow and will return it to it's owners this evening.

Now, the stoplight commandoes, big box boyos and fog zombies of SNE are another matter.

Braying, shrieking and grunting in their once-white underpants, these agents managed a giant heist in January invading winter's Topkapi and bagging NNE's snowy jewels. The hooting of these katzenjammers was an assault on our refined NNE sensibilities.

I gloat.

Mica Vim Toot!

LOL enjoy the snow, my friend.

I gloat.

Mica Vim Toot!

And i will make it simple, Don't Fuk with the counties snow......... :lol:

Archived