northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 4-6 Potential Winter Storm part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pic. Was your yard still more than half snowcovered before the rain turned to snow? Looks like it to me. Wayne/Oakland county must have been the transition zone, as said tons of piles here kept that half-white/half-bare look in most residential spots, but old pure snowcover was probably like 10-20% before changeover.

Yes. More than half was still covered. Although about 5 miles north of me in the SEMI "mountain" range they barely lost any. Went to a few Estate Sales today in the "mountains" lol and they still had roughly 2-4 inches solid on the ground.

Yes. More than half was still covered. Although about 5 miles north of me in the SEMI "mountain" range they barely lost any. Went to a few Estate Sales today in the "mountains" lol and they still had roughly 2-4 inches solid on the ground.

Thats how it goes with Oakland versus Wayne county wrt snowcover. I have no damn business complaining after the run of winters weve had, but its never easy. :lol:

Oh and...

:wub: :wub:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

521 PM EST SAT MAR 5 2011

.UPDATE...

RADAR RETURNS HAVE INCREASED SUBSTANTIALLY OVER THE LAST

HOUR...ESPECIALLY ALONG AND EAST OF A LINE FROM LANSING TO BAD AXE.

THIS SNOW IS ASSOCIATED WITH DEFORMATION FORCING WITHIN MID LEVEL

WAVE NOW OVER THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY. THIS DEFORMATION FORCING

WILL PERSIST THROUGH 00Z...THEN SLOWLY MOVE OFF TO THE

EAST...EXITING THE FORECAST AREA BY 06Z. SFC OBSERVATIONS AND RADAR

SUPPORT A DRAMATIC INCREASE IN POPS AND INCREASING SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS FOR MOST OF THE FORECAST AREA...EXCEPT FOR PERHAPS THE

SAGINAW VALLEY AND NORTHERN THUMB. AT THIS POINT...HAVE INCREASED

SNOW ACCUMS TO A CONSERVATIVE 1 TO 3 INCHES.

Tonight: Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around 22. North wind between 15 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

yeeaaaaaa :weight_lift:

Thats how it goes with Oakland versus Wayne county wrt snowcover. I have no damn business complaining after the run of winters weve had, but its never easy. :lol:

Oh and...

:wub: :wub:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

521 PM EST SAT MAR 5 2011

.UPDATE...

RADAR RETURNS HAVE INCREASED SUBSTANTIALLY OVER THE LAST

HOUR...ESPECIALLY ALONG AND EAST OF A LINE FROM LANSING TO BAD AXE.

THIS SNOW IS ASSOCIATED WITH DEFORMATION FORCING WITHIN MID LEVEL

WAVE NOW OVER THE MID MISSISSIPPI VALLEY. THIS DEFORMATION FORCING

WILL PERSIST THROUGH 00Z...THEN SLOWLY MOVE OFF TO THE

EAST...EXITING THE FORECAST AREA BY 06Z. SFC OBSERVATIONS AND RADAR

SUPPORT A DRAMATIC INCREASE IN POPS AND INCREASING SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS FOR MOST OF THE FORECAST AREA...EXCEPT FOR PERHAPS THE

SAGINAW VALLEY AND NORTHERN THUMB. AT THIS POINT...HAVE INCREASED

SNOW ACCUMS TO A CONSERVATIVE 1 TO 3 INCHES.

I have not been keeping up on my weather journal but in my hood..We have never completely lost our snow cover. I think in early Jan for like a day. Always managed to keep 2-3 inches on the ground.

I have not been keeping up on my weather journal but in my hood..We have never completely lost our snow cover. I think in early Jan for like a day. Always managed to keep 2-3 inches on the ground.

A lot spots have 3-4 inches on the ground but there is a couple green patches earlier at least...now with a fresh 1-1.25" on the ground. Everything is white. It would not suprise me If I end up with 3-4 inches

We lost ours for a day and a half before the Feb 20th snowstorm.

Snow depth for me is the 8am obs time...so far this winter weve had 76 days with 1"+ snowcover (most of which were 5"+), and an additional 8 days with a trace of snowcover, so 84 days and counting with snow on the ground and counting (and then of course those few bare days of Jan 1-4 and Feb 19-20 had piles).

Light snow and mist here just se of Elkhart. 33 degrees. Only a smidgeon of white on the ground...not even a dusting, although we had some very pretty good sized snowflakes falling for awhile earlier this afternoon. And IWX wx, your photos of the quarry and Huntington area scenes look nice. Been awhile since I've been there.

Thick, wet flakes out here in Canton, MI... visibilities are getting low, and even wet pavement is starting to cover over with snow. I smell another overachiever here. I noticed that there are 3 low pressure centers associated with the cold front... one down in southern Mississippi, one to the southwest of Columbus, OH... and one just to the west of Buffalo. Could it be possible that the one in Ohio is getting stronger than forecasted or...?

Thick, wet flakes out here in Canton, MI... visibilities are getting low, and even wet pavement is starting to cover over with snow. I smell another overachiever here. I noticed that there are 3 low pressure centers associated with the cold front... one down in southern Mississippi, one to the southwest of Columbus, OH... and one just to the west of Buffalo. Could it be possible that the one in Ohio is getting stronger than forecasted or...?

Not seeing anything too different from what the models were advertising. I'm thinking the nice shield of pcpn across SE MI might have more to do with the mid level center overperforming. At the sfc, the southern low should become dominant eventually.

Archived