• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 4-6 Potential Winter Storm part 2

Hoosier

These are some good pictures bro! What camera are you using?

Thanks. Just a Canon Powershoot. Honestly, when I woke up first thing with all the fresh snow and the March sun had yet to hurt it, being in the park was surreal. No noise, just a few other people out enjoying the scenery. Walking around surrounded by snow-pasted trees, nature gets all the credit for those pictures :)

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked at how much of the snow we retained today. What fell on rooftops disappeared, but otherwise a general 2-3" pack remains. No grass tips. Even the pavement/sidewalks, where not shovelled, retained more than an inch.

Nice pics from your mom! After a day of full sun (high 34F), calling average depth 2" now, down from nearly 5" this morning. Basically depth in sun ranges from 0-2", in shade ranges from 3-4". The March sun is quite interesting. I just walked in my yard and its hilarious, you can see where the sun hits and where it doesnt. Within 5 steps I went from walking on 1-2" of crunchy snow to 4" of powder.

Nice pics from your mom! After a day of full sun (high 34F), calling average depth 2" now, down from nearly 5" this morning. Basically depth in sun ranges from 0-2", in shade ranges from 3-4". The March sun is quite interesting. I just walked in my yard and its hilarious, you can see where the sun hits and where it doesnt. Within 5 steps I went from walking on 1-2" of crunchy snow to 4" of powder.

Got that classic early spring look on my street...all the houses on one side have an almost bare lawn, all the lawns on the other side are completely snow-covered.

I'm on the snow side :lmao:

Ottawa did really well. An inch of rain followed by a rapid freeze up and about 4" of snow. A lot of drifting too. Freeze happened so fast that a lot of the tire treads on the side streets are solid ice!

about 7 inches in south ottawa and new drifts to 2 feet. absoultely blitzed last night with fantastic dendrites and wind.

tons of ice mixed in the bottom layer of the snow from the instant freeze of the ponded heavy rain beforehand.

memorable event for sure, defintely the best of the season for me..... glad i decided to come for the weekend.

when i left, snowbanks were back to midwinter form.

Got that classic early spring look on my street...all the houses on one side have an almost bare lawn, all the lawns on the other side are completely snow-covered.

I'm on the snow side :lmao:

Same here, but Im on the sunny side :axe:

Lawns on this side of the street have some patches of snow and of course piles but also plenty of grass. The other side of the street is solid 3-4" snowcover, and with the old plowed snow lining that side of the street anyway (has a fresh blanket atop it), it honestly looks like two different locations lol.

about 7 inches in south ottawa and new drifts to 2 feet. absoultely blitzed last night with fantastic dendrites and wind.

tons of ice mixed in the bottom layer of the snow from the instant freeze of the ponded heavy rain beforehand.

memorable event for sure, defintely the best of the season for me..... glad i decided to come for the weekend.

when i left, snowbanks were back to midwinter form.

How deep is the glacier under the 7"? Looks like Ottawa finally getting some good winter weather!

Thats why I was mad we lost our glacier. That doesnt budge, new snow does. The glacier snowbanks all have a nice new coat of white, but the grass is mostly just fresh covering (save for a few old patches), so that goes much quicker.

In the woods around here we still have about a 16 inch snowpack. When I went for my hike today I was surprised at how well the snow held in and didn't melt after Friday's rain. Most neighborhoods still have about a six to eight inch glacier here with the only patches of grass showing on south facing slopes and wind-blown areas.

Archived