• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Dec 5th and 6-8 threats

tombo82685

Tom just asking where is the cold air supply now? Everyone keeps talking about we need to get our snow in the next few weeks....or the pattern will go down hill......The pattern sucks now and does not looks to change..........I dont see how it can get any worse in january, then it is now.

Tim, it can get a lot worse trust me. The only reason we really haven't torched is because we have had a -nao to keep us somewhat normal. If we didn't have that the se ridge would be baking us. The cold air is in canada, but can't make it down here do to the -pna and se ridge combo, so it gets bottled up north or deposited out west. What we need is a -epo to dislodge the cold from the pole into canada, combined with a neutral or pos pna to get it down here.

'

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim, it can get a lot worse trust me. The only reason we really haven't torched is because we have had a -nao to keep us somewhat normal. If we didn't have that the se ridge would be baking us. The cold air is in canada, but can't make it down here do to the -pna and se ridge combo, so it gets bottled up north or deposited out west. What we need is a -epo to dislodge the cold from the pole into canada, combined with a neutral or pos pna to get it down here.

'

Well i was in the 60's the other day, and look to make a run at that before wed front......seems like 2007-2008 cold.....warm up and rain..then cold again. I think the only diff as of now is the trough access is further west........Are there signs of a -epo in the long range? Or its ten days away? And who is to say we get the cold in here, and its dry. We have seen that many of times...... i rather torch with a +nao, beacuse the -nao is pretty much giving me nothing right now

Well i was in the 60's the other day, and look to make a run at that before wed front......seems like 2007-2008 cold.....warm up and rain..then cold again. I think the only diff as of now is the trough access is further west........Are there signs of a -epo in the long range? Or its ten days away? And who is to say we get the cold in here, and its dry. We have seen that many of times...... i rather torch with a +nao, beacuse the -nao is pretty much giving me nothing right now

yea the euro and it ens were hinting at it in the 7 day range, though it looks short lived. 0z euro had a pos epo at day ten, with pos pna, but it looks transient.

December looks likely to have several wintry/mixed events...if you enjoy wintry weather this will likely be your one shot as once we get to January I am anticipating some nice days in the 60's. I have a feeling we see above normal December snow then almost nothing in January followed by below normal February and an above normal snow month in March with even an early April event thrown in for good measure.

Should be a very interesting next few weeks!

Enjoy!

Paul

www.chescowx.com

Hi Tom

Any updates on your home search?

Regarding the weather I am confident we see some very interesting winter weather over the next few weeks. I think we see at least 3 snow to IP to ZR to rain events in the Philly Burbs....what say you?

Take care,

Paul

yea the euro and it ens were hinting at it in the 7 day range, though it looks short lived. 0z euro had a pos epo at day ten, with pos pna, but it looks transient.

Hi Tom

Any updates on your home search?

Regarding the weather I am confident we see some very interesting winter weather over the next few weeks. I think we see at least 3 snow to IP to ZR to rain events in the Philly Burbs....what say you?

Take care,

Paul

Yea i have narrowed it down to nw chester county with elevations over 500 ft or the green lane area. I want to see how this winter does to see which does best. I agree with your thoughts i think we get some wintry precip in here with snow to ice or rain events. All snow events would be clippers imho.

Whatever happens with that dec 5th event the coastal that forms may be huge in forming a 50/50 low down the road for the next storm a couple days later or so. 12z gfs forms it and retrogrades it back into maine. Boy the atlantic loooks like...

GlryMultiCarPileupTh.jpg

The low off the coast still looks to be too far south to allow much to happen in the longer ranges. Even the dec 5th event is flurries to a dusting at most for places like dca. It ends up with the low getting squashed so much that the model show mostly cold advection with a vort going through the area. Usually in those cases, it's tough to get much south of the vort track. Beyond that threat, the gfs pattern looks cold and dry and the vortex is to far south and west in the atlantic to allow room for any system to get into the mid atlantic region. Thankfully, it's so far out there that the pattern there is no way to know what might happen.

The low off the coast still looks to be too far south to allow much to happen in the longer ranges. Even the dec 5th event is flurries to a dusting at most for places like dca. It ends up with the low getting squashed so much that the model show mostly cold advection with a vort going through the area. Usually in those cases, it's tough to get much south of the vort track. Beyond that threat, the gfs pattern looks cold and dry and the vortex is to far south and west in the atlantic to allow room for any system to get into the mid atlantic region. Thankfully, it's so far out there that the pattern there is no way to know what might happen.

going by how the gfs over does the cold 9 time out of 10 it could get interesting if you lessen the grip of the cold. Im pretty positive the block won't be as strong as modelled. So far this season it seems like all the models have developed the block to strong in the long-medium range only to slacken it off in the short range.

Archived