• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2011

Alpha5

well....it looks like energy in the form of a clipper drops down and phases with energy moving through the southern planes. I guess its not a true lakes cutter but its not a true clipper either.

please stop. Its bad enough we are talking about storms this far out but your analysis is just so off it makes it even worse.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw, I do realize your somewhat joking.

Thank you. Of course I'm not expecting any model run that far out to verify. But, IMO, there are a couple of salient take aways -

1) At least one model run supports the idea that the 2nd week of March time frame could see an event.

2) Winter is not over.

I support the best of both worlds, bikinis shoveling snow. :snowman:

How about explaining whats wrong with the analysis instead of just saying its wrong, were all trying to learn here myself included. I obviously don't have a red tag so its obvious that what I say is coming from a novice standpoint. That would do us all some good instead of making nasty comments which just clutter the board. I said it yesterday, took criticism for it but I'll say it again, we lost alot of good posters when the forums split. That's not to say we don't have good posters here but I don't see a whole lot of red taggers posting here like I do in other regions.

How about explaining whats wrong with the analysis instead of just saying its wrong, were all trying to learn here myself included. I obviously don't have a red tag so its obvious that what I say is coming from a novice standpoint. That would do us all some good instead of making nasty comments which just clutter the board. I said it yesterday, took criticism for it but I'll say it again, we lost alot of good posters when the forums split. That's not to say we don't have good posters here but I don't see a whole lot of red taggers posting here like I do in other regions.

DITTO that!

Uhh, why are we talking about ANYTHING in the 300+ hr range?

Because that is what this thread is about as per the first post -

With March on the horizon, it's time again to look at how the last month of winter will play out.

Even though a long range model is almost entirely unlikely to verify, it is still useful to look at the models and learn from them. It is futile to ask how much qpf imby 300+ hours out, but one can still look at a model and analyze it and learn from it. The same explanations as to why 300+ hour models can't verify can be applied when looking at shorter range modeling. I for one especially appreciate the red taggers (and others) knowledge they impart to those of us without a formal meteorological background.

And oh, yeah, one other reason to look at 300+ hours, at least for me, HOPE that winter is not over.

Thank you. Of course I'm not expecting any model run that far out to verify. But, IMO, there are a couple of salient take aways -

1) At least one model run supports the idea that the 2nd week of March time frame could see an event.

2) Winter is not over.

I support the best of both worlds, bikinis shoveling snow. :snowman:

1) Considering how many different models we have access to, and the number of runs per day, it's pretty easy to find one run that supports a snow event in the 2nd week of March

2) Depends on how you define winter. This winter will definitely be remembered for the unrelenting attack of snow/cold in the 1 month time frame from Christmas to January 27th. The pattern we've got in place right now might as well be a completely different year it's so far off from the Dec/Jan global regime. We've lost all semblance of high latitude blocking, and the strong nina induced SE-ridge/Lakes cutters rinse/repeat cycle has finally caught up with us. Bottom line is we're going to have to hope for a thread the needle in mid march or beyond, if we can get some blocking to come back. I do think the -NAO returns eventually, it's just a matter of when. Does it occur early enough to produce a significant snow? Or does it occur in early April just in time to ruin spring? (or both)

1) Considering how many different models we have access to, and the number of runs per day, it's pretty easy to find one run that supports a snow event in the 2nd week of March

2) Depends on how you define winter. This winter will definitely be remembered for the unrelenting attack of snow/cold in the 1 month time frame from Christmas to January 27th. The pattern we've got in place right now might as well be a completely different year it's so far off from the Dec/Jan global regime. We've lost all semblance of high latitude blocking, and the strong nina induced SE-ridge/Lakes cutters rinse/repeat cycle has finally caught up with us. Bottom line is we're going to have to hope for a thread the needle in mid march or beyond, if we can get some blocking to come back. I do think the -NAO returns eventually, it's just a matter of when. Does it occur early enough to produce a significant snow? Or does it occur in early April just in time to ruin spring? (or both)

You know what it reminds me of? Think Jan 2000 when there was like a three week cold and snowy pattern (especially for the lower MA) in the middle of a mild winter. Obviously, this one was somewhat more extreme and further north and lasted longer, but mid Dec through the end of Jan certainly reminds me of what happened in 2000.

Hey-- you know if the -NAO returns in early April, we can still get some snow around here. Mid April or later than forget about it. BTW I see some are forecasting a return to -NAO sometime in the middle of March (10-15 is the time period I read) and then back to a SE ridge after the 20th.

You know what it reminds me of? Think Jan 2000 when there was like a three week cold and snowy pattern (especially for the lower MA) in the middle of a mild winter. Obviously, this one was somewhat more extreme and further north and lasted longer, but mid Dec through the end of Jan certainly reminds me of what happened in 2000.

Hey-- you know if the -NAO returns in early April, we can still get some snow around here. Mid April or later than forget about it. BTW I see some are forecasting a return to -NAO sometime in the middle of March (10-15 is the time period I read) and then back to a SE ridge after the 20th.

Alex, you and I are in it until April 10th.

In a long winter like this, April can have snow....

Alex, you and I are in it until April 10th.

In a long winter like this, April can have snow....

I agree, Chris. As a matter of fact, we have had accumulating snow on average one out of three years in the first ten days of April-- much more common than getting it in the last 10 days of March.

I agree, Chris. As a matter of fact, we have had accumulating snow on average one out of three years in the first ten days of April-- much more common than getting it in the last 10 days of March.

Yep, with my all-time favorite April snowstorm being April 7, 2003. :thumbsup: I have never seen that much snow anywhere near that late (6.5'').

This pattern blows. If we have no chance at any more snow, then at least let us warm up. Cold and dry warm and wet does absolutely nothing for me personally. I'm getting fearful that the cold and wet pattern will want to get re-established just in time to ruin summer completely. :arrowhead:

Yes that is my fear, would love a hot and dry summer!

Convection over the Caribbean....not a good thing for us. I like the GFS NAO though

its transitive....does not stay for long before getting squashed by another low coming down from the Nw.

Pacific is just dreadful with this pattern; the strong Aleutian ridge is preventing the establishment of a +PNA. Blocking returns to Greenland but looks to be severely east-based, and that won't help much at this point in the season.

Pacific is just dreadful with this pattern; the strong Aleutian ridge is preventing the establishment of a +PNA. Blocking returns to Greenland but looks to be severely east-based, and that won't help much at this point in the season.

Its better than having the vortex over greenland....at least it will keep some cold air on this side of the world

Its better than having the vortex over greenland....at least it will keep some cold air on this side of the world

Yup...but Canada is predicted to have well below normal temperatures anyway with the big block over the Aleutians/Bering Strait...the problem is getting the storm track more suppressed for our area, and that's exceedingly hard to do in March without a west-based -NAO, which models don't seem to be latching onto. I have to admit, I'm getting a bit worried about our chances for more snowstorms; the La Niña pattern has really taken hold and we seem to be in a Jekyll-Hyde pattern this winter like 75-76 where we started cold and snowy but have reverted to milder with fewer threats. Things could wind down surprisingly soon if the block doesn't move towards Baffin Island.

Yup...but Canada is predicted to have well below normal temperatures anyway with the big block over the Aleutians/Bering Strait...the problem is getting the storm track more suppressed for our area, and that's exceedingly hard to do in March without a west-based -NAO, which models don't seem to be latching onto. I have to admit, I'm getting a bit worried about our chances for more snowstorms; the La Niña pattern has really taken hold and we seem to be in a Jekyll-Hyde pattern this winter like 75-76 where we started cold and snowy but have reverted to milder with fewer threats. Things could wind down surprisingly soon if the block doesn't move towards Baffin Island.

Snow threats yes....but I doubt we see the cold make an exit like last year.

I could see us below average for part of the spring, and there is a large amount of cold still pooled in Canada.

Archived