joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree - there will be a Kocin event or very close to it someplace along the east coast by mid month - all the signals are falling in place....

Someone should change the thread title from Chris L to NEG NAO calling for a KU midmonth :P Of course, then people would think we're getting severe blocking in that time frame haha.

Someone should change the thread title from Chris L to NEG NAO calling for a KU midmonth :P Of course, then people would think we're getting severe blocking in that time frame haha.

Notice I said some where along the east coast with Northern Mid Atlantic - New England being favored right now ...MJO - NAO -AO - Stratosphere temps all coming together ......

The only caution I would advise is that I have noticed that some runs of various models are hinting at some periods where strong Canadian high's pop over SE Canada allowing for large confluence under the PV. With this setup you need to be cautious because so long as the pattern out west is at least flat (meaning no trough) it is possible instead of the LP cutting that it is forced underneath the confluence. These types of setups can bring some snows for the northern Mid Atlantic and SNE. An example would be this past Monday (Feb 21). Otherwise yes I agree it looks unfavorable for a snowstorm.

Well, if you looked at the March temp contest in the main forum, the obvious answer would be Ace ;)

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I am pretty sure that we wont have to deal with any real winter until next december, yeah maybe a snow event or a cold outbreak but this baby is toast..lets hope the spring isnt cold and wet...

when was the last time March was wintry?

Was this winter a lot like 1960-61?

WHY THE EFF AM I STILL ON A LIMIT????

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I am pretty sure that we wont have to deal with any real winter until next december, yeah maybe a snow event or a cold outbreak but this baby is toast..lets hope the spring isnt cold and wet...

when was the last time March was wintry?

Was this winter a lot like 1960-61?

WHY THE EFF AM I STILL ON A LIMIT????

Heh-- I can't answer the last question-- but the question when was the last time March was wintry depends on your definition of wintry. You could say it was March 2009-- but that was only for the first day or two of the month. Or you could say March 2007 -- but that was a sleet storm on St. Patty's day. Or you could say March 2004 and 2005 -- but those were much better east of us than they were here or in NYC. You could say the March-April 2003 period because that was the last time we got a bonafide snowstorm after March 1 (and it was in April too.) But if you want bonafide multiple snowstorms and long stretches of cold you have to go all the way back to March-April 1996. And that was a weak la nina (and matched what happened in 1967).... which makes you wonder how great this winter could have been if the la nina had stayed weak. But we seem to be in an era of extreme enso :(

Yes, the two best matches to this winter are 1947-48 and 1960-61 in terms of snowfall patterns and snow cover. If we get a moderate snow in March, 1947-48 will be a better match. Based on what happened that season, we should probably get another 4-6 inches of snow this season.

Yeah keep that editor handy, as soon as the models change their output, Chris will change his mind ;)

Should read "as soon as EURO changes it's output".

Lots of people here, only base their forecasts off euro.

At least today's euro went majorly toward GFS now as the Trials pointed out. At least gives us a small chance now with a couple more things that need to go right. All other previous euro runs that had a southern cut-off low gave us zero chance at snow.

Archived