northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb. 23-25th Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, these storms are called 'panhandle" hooker or "Texas hooker" as they develope on the Texas panhandle than usually move ene from there. Type A hookers are usually the ones that go north of Chicago and Type B usually hit Chicago hard for a frame of reference, the 67 and 79 storms were Type B hookers. Type A the December 2009 storm.

Yeah, the Dec '09 storm even went through MKE.

Nope, because I thought their points were not important to my point, everybody always says something about snowpack on every storm. Just a general observation.

The fact you couldn't understand that is real "pwnage".

You need new material. The old "GFS sucks no matter what" or "snow pack doesn't matter" has grown stale. You're better than that...

Yeah, these storms are called 'panhandle" hooker or "Texas hooker" as they develope on the Texas panhandle than usually move ene from there. Type A hookers are usually the ones that go north of Chicago and Type B usually hit Chicago hard for a frame of reference, the 67 and 79 storms were Type B hookers. Type A the December 2009 storm.

Just to clear up a few things--this really bears no resemblance to a true Panhandle Hooker or any of the other major lee cyclogenesis storms such as Colorado Lows and MT/WY lows. Really this is just a low amplitude shortwave ejecting into the plains and de-amplifying as it "merges" with the main belt of westerlies. True Panhandle Hookers "hook" and take a NW curved track as they undergo baroclinic intensification after ejecting into the plains and undergoing a prolonged period of lee side troughing and subsequent southerly advection off the GOM. Typically these are large rossby waves/longwave troughs which then amplify through baroclinic processes as well as strong diabatic effects off the GOM--hence the NW curved "hook". This is "self-development" and/or "positive feedback" cyclogenesis. Typically these storms are the main belt of westerlies--this storm is a cutoff piece of energy re-merging with the main belt of westerlies. There are definite differences.

Why does the GFS have issues?

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

156 PM EST MON FEB 21 2011

VALID 12Z THU FEB 24 2011 - 12Z MON FEB 28 2011

...CONSIDERABLE SOLUTION SPREAD AND RUN-TO-RUN VARIABILITY ARE

EVIDENT IN THE SHORTWAVE PATTERN DETAILS AS EARLY AS DAY 4...WITH

THE 12Z GFS/CANADIAN MAINTAINING A SUBSTANTIALLY MORE SOUTHERN

TRACK WITH A CYCLONE APPROACHING THE APPALACHIANS... WHICH APPEARS

AT LEAST IN PART INFLUENCED BY CONVECTIVE GRID-SCALE FEEDBACK

Nope, because I thought their points were not important to my point, everybody always says something about snowpack on every storm. Just a general observation.

The fact you couldn't understand that is real "pwnage".

You said

Ah, I had been waiting for somebody to comment on the "snow cover" factor. It never gets old.

And me and B_I both said that it is a factor. So it is important, when you say it never gets old implying that it means 0 when it doesn't mean 0 at all.

Just sayin..

Just to clear up a few things--this really bears no resemblance to a true Panhandle Hooker or any of the other major lee cyclogenesis storms such as Colorado Lows and MT/WY lows. Really this is just a low amplitude shortwave ejecting into the plains and de-amplifying as it "merges" with the main belt of westerlies. True Panhandle Hookers "hook" and take a NW curved track as they undergo baroclinic intensification after ejecting into the plains and undergoing a prolonged period of lee side troughing and subsequent southerly advection off the GOM. Typically these are large rossby waves/longwave troughs which then amplify through baroclinic processes as well as strong diabatic effects off the GOM--hence the NW curved "hook". This is "self-development" and/or "positive feedback" cyclogenesis. Typically these storms are the main belt of westerlies--this storm is a cutoff piece of energy re-merging with the main belt of westerlies. There are definite differences.

Baro, how often do Colorado lows and panhandle hooks happen? I don't think we have had any up here this way yet this winter or for awhile for that matter. Are they more common in spring and fall and why has there been what seems like so few?

That storm he mentioned was not a Panhandle Hooker either. It traveled across S.CO and popped out at the KS/OK line.

There is northern Panhandle storms ( the ones up by Amarillo ) and then the southern ones via El Paso. The Dec 09 event did not even make it into Texas at all.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

156 PM EST MON FEB 21 2011

VALID 12Z THU FEB 24 2011 - 12Z MON FEB 28 2011

...CONSIDERABLE SOLUTION SPREAD AND RUN-TO-RUN VARIABILITY ARE

EVIDENT IN THE SHORTWAVE PATTERN DETAILS AS EARLY AS DAY 4...WITH

THE 12Z GFS/CANADIAN MAINTAINING A SUBSTANTIALLY MORE SOUTHERN

TRACK WITH A CYCLONE APPROACHING THE APPALACHIANS... WHICH APPEARS

AT LEAST IN PART INFLUENCED BY CONVECTIVE GRID-SCALE FEEDBACK

Interesting discussion. Convective feedback certainly can happen in a negative manner regarding the models--but convection can also realistically alter the synoptic environment. Groundhog Blizzard was a classic example of convection altering the surface pressure falls and the track of the low. Deep convection can also realistically weaken a weak upper disturbance through latent heat release and warming of the upper troposphere. The NAM did this with the groundhog blizzard where it was developing spurious convection and releasing a motherlode of unrealistic latent heat which then resulted in a weak and unrealistic flat track. The old GFS was famous for "convective qpf bombs" and negative feedback to the dynamic fields--but the new GFS is much better with this. While this could very well be convective feedback--it could also very well be the GFS simply having differing initial conditions or simply modeling it differently--or it could be realistic with convection "driving" the greatest surface pressure falls farther E. What does this all mean? Convection can realistically alter the synoptic environment--and it can also unrealistically feed back to the model.

LOL.......like your spelling is a symbolism of perfection all the time. Give me a break man. I am sorry you got the wrong idea, sorrrrrryyyyyyyyy!!! wow!!!

lol @ the irony. I'm don't think I'm perfect. Far from it. However, reading your posts, and the style in which you post, I'm often left with the impression that you fancy yourself as God's infallible gift to meteorology.

I've said it to you 1000 times. Post less in absolutes. Post less in the condescending and conceited manner in which you do. Your style is fine when you're learned, but you don't have the knowledge (neither do I) to back it up.

Baro, how often do Colorado lows and panhandle hooks happen? I don't think we have had any up here this way yet this winter or for awhile for that matter. Are they more common in spring and fall and why has there been what seems like so few?

Depends on the patterns. We haven't had many this winter--I want to say zero Panhandle Hookers and maybe one Colorado Low. Colorado Lows are also far more typical than Panhandle Hookers. Gulf Lows are of course even more rare in the plains. The Halloween 1991 blizzard was the de facto standard for Gulf Lows in the plains.

This storm that just passed was a CO low of sorts. the Blizzard was a Texas low. Baro can probably explain better why it did not take the "typical" CO low track up into WI. In short it had to do with blocking in southern Canada etc. Thats the cheapened version.

This storm that just passed was a CO low of sorts. the Blizzard was a Texas low. Baro can probably explain better why it did not take the "typical" CO low track up into WI. In short it had to do with blocking in southern Canada etc. Thats the cheapened version.

Yeah agreed. A partial CO low--perhaps a hybrid.

Archived