northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Beyond Winter Intermission

ski MRG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a large leap of faith....MUCH higher launching pad.....I've only lost about 13" of the peak.

I've lost more than that off the peak. I was up at 37" and now down to about 19". Though its easier to lose snow when its higher like that since its usually still compressing decently.

I've lost more than that off the peak. I was up at 37" and now down to about 19". Though its easier to lose snow when its higher like that since its usually still compressing decently.

I've lost 13" on the dot, though it's probably more on BIrvings snow board in the rt 3 median.

March 1996 rebounded to the tune of a 17" snowpack and I had been wiped CLEAN, before hand.....like I said, currently 20" of calcified crust at the stake.

I've lost 13" on the dot, though it's probably more on BIrvings snow board in the rt 3 median.

March 1996 rebounded to the tune of a 17" snowpack and I had been wiped CLEAN, before hand.....like I said, currently 20" of calcified crust at the stake.

In the equivalent of your snow protected area, we probably have like 23-24"...but most spots are in the 17-20" range now with the exposed sun area on flat ground at 15"....the steep slopes that face south near busy intersections obviously have less and those are areas where you'll start seeing a few bare spots around the bases of shrubs and trees.

I'm hoping we add 6" or so to the concrete out there now...it will make it look much healthier again and certainly prettier. That will get the pack to about 2 feet after the new stuff settles, and then we can begin the melt/compression versus new events race to try and build it higher again. The tough part about late Feb and Mar is that in between events you will get assaulted a lot worse than earlier in the winter, so you need to keep them coming.

In the equivalent of your snow protected area, we probably have like 23-24"...but most spots are in the 17-20" range now with the exposed sun area on flat ground at 15"....the steep slopes that face south near busy intersections obviously have less and those are areas where you'll start seeing a few bare spots around the bases of shrubs and trees.

I'm hoping we add 6" or so to the concrete out there now...it will make it look much healthier again and certainly prettier. That will get the pack to about 2 feet after the new stuff settles, and then we can begin the melt/compression versus new events race to try and build it higher again. The tough part about late Feb and Mar is that in between events you will get assaulted a lot worse than earlier in the winter, so you need to keep them coming.

The lowest measurement that I could find, last night was 17"....so it's like 13-14", currently.

Avg depth is likely about 16".

That is just nuts...

I don't think we saw 30" here. most I measured was 28-29"

Yeah highest snow depth I've measured since March 2001 when I had up close to 4 feet. You probably had 50" pack where you are in Mar '01. I'm praying for a couple nice events between now and March 10th culminating in a huge nuke to get back up to the high water mark or pass it...but obviously that's asking for a lot.

Yeah highest snow depth I've measured since March 2001 when I had up close to 4 feet. You probably had 50" pack where you are in Mar '01. I'm praying for a couple nice events between now and March 10th culminating in a huge nuke to get back up to the high water mark or pass it...but obviously that's asking for a lot.

Can't imagine that......Jaffrey must have had 5'.

Can't imagine that......Jaffrey must have had 5'.

I don't think anyone had 5 feet...but there were spots over 50"...its gets exponentially harder to add snow depth once you get higher and higher above 30"....nevermind 40" or 50"...the weight just crushes down on itself.

But because it becomes so densely packed, its so tough to melt. I remember on like April 10th, there was still snow on open fields of like 8-10" deep and it was much much deeper than that in the woods. It looked like a late February snow pack but it was getting toward mid April. I think the snow in the woods didn't fully melt off up in N ORH county and SW NH until nearly the end of April.

It also helped that March 2001 had no torches at all. ORH never hit 50F in the month of March 2001....that is pretty remarkable for March.

I don't think anyone had 5 feet...but there were spots over 50"...its gets exponentially harder to add snow depth once you get higher and higher above 30"....nevermind 40" or 50"...the weight just crushes down on itself.

But because it becomes so densely packed, its so tough to melt. I remember on like April 10th, there was still snow on open fields of like 8-10" deep and it was much much deeper than that in the woods. It looked like a late February snow pack but it was getting toward mid April. I think the snow in the woods didn't fully melt off up in N ORH county and SW NH until nearly the end of April.

It also helped that March 2001 had no torches at all. ORH never hit 50F in the month of March 2001....that is pretty remarkable for March.

If there is a mall in Jaffrey, the lot must have had flithy piles until early June.

Newry Maine where I was at the time had over 5 feet but that's mountain terrain.

Archived