• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Snowpack and water equivalent

janetjanet998

We have around or just above a foot of settled snowpack here, and our water equiv is 1.9". Keep in mind, this is the water content of the AVERAGE depth. This does not account for the massive snowbanks from a winters worth of snow with tons of water store in them. (Not to mention frozen ground). A fast melt would be imminent flooding.

Our snowpack is weak here, but the ice is thick, so there will be tons of water laying around until teh ground can unfreeze and absorb it.

but there is deep snowpack SW of us where we will be getting our air, will this matter in temps?

Tulsa doesn't think it will matter much.

SPG area is still pretty cold but they sit 1-2K feet in spots..where I am 400 feet or so above sea level.

We have around or just above a foot of settled snowpack here, and our water equiv is 1.9". Keep in mind, this is the water content of the AVERAGE depth. This does not account for the massive snowbanks from a winters worth of snow with tons of water store in them. (Not to mention frozen ground). A fast melt would be imminent flooding.

My snowpack is around 16".

Officially we might have a foot on the ground, but if you drive around the city there just doesn't appear to be that much. There are drifts and huge piles at the corners of driveways, but it won't take a ton of melting to create a lot of bare spots in yards and open areas. The middle of my backyard did not accumulate ANY snow during the blizzard so there are only 4 inches there.

Snow depth is 13" of very dense snow(can walk on top without sinking too much). It does not take much for the Minnesota River to flood. It reached its 7th highest crest last March with just under average snowfall that past winter. I'm curious about the average water level for the Minnesota River is right before the winter thaw.and it seems to have stayed higher than past winters. The river flooded last September which is very unusual for that late in the year. There is a lot of snow to melt in the basin this year, so it's pretty much guaranteed to flood over several river crossings in the valley.

Luckily the GFS isn't indicating much rainfall will be accompanying the warmup (although that can change pretty quickly). I'm surprised there's that much water content to my snow. 2-4" swe seems like a lot for a foot of snow.

The snow settles, but the water in the snow evaporates little if at all, so while the snow settles after every storm, the water goes nowhere.

Archived