Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The best ski rates

#NoPoles

Please croak now.

Wind_Farm_from_Lempster-e.jpg

12 monstrosities loom over Lempster as I type.

Another 33 will be on line in Coos Cty soon.

Your beloved NH is being horrible-ized by wild hogs and their Martian fighting machines!

Many more in the permitting process across NH. They won't affect you though because you will have croaked as you promised above.

It's time you lived up to your words!

No one has ever called me a "Canuck" before.

What's next, "Rusky"?

Vim Toot!

We've been wrecking landscapes across the country with factories, massive gas and oil fired power plants, nuclear plants, oil derricks, houses, utility poles and wires....I just can't get worked up about turbines, even if they can be seen from my favorite NNE ski area.

toot toot and all that

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been wrecking landscapes across the country with factories, massive gas and oil fired power plants, nuclear plants, oil derricks, houses, utility poles and wires....I just can't get worked up about turbines, even if they can be seen from my favorite NNE ski area.

toot toot and all that

Wrecking? All the items you list add up to what is the black heart of environmentalism- people suck.

All those other people, I mean.

People who b**ch about the technological miracles those selfish others benefit from dont suck at all though.

It's all those other people. They are the ones who suck. If only all those others weren't wrecking everything.

Your favorite NNE ski area would be so much nicer if all those brutes would just disappear.

We live amidst wonders and marvels.

Environmentalists resent that.

They are, simply put, crazy.

Don't be crazy.

Vim Toot

Wrecking? All the items you list add up to what is the black heart of environmentalism- people suck.

All those other people, I mean.

People who b**ch about the technological miracles those selfish others benefit from dont suck at all though.

It's all those other people. They are the ones who suck. If only all those others weren't wrecking everything.

Your favorite NNE ski area would be so much nicer if all those brutes would just disappear.

We live amidst wonders and marvels.

Environmentalists resent that.

They are, simply put, crazy.

Don't be crazy.

Vim Toot

And so are you, but in a different, excellent way! :lol:

Just got an email from Whaleback.

Four Pack of Lift Tickets To Whaleback Mountain For $80!

$20/ea is their walk-up rate midweek.. 1/2 price if it's good for weekend = big discount, good find. Does it say if you can share the deal?

rideandskine.com card is good for bogo at whaleback, but only midweek, which brings the price to $10 per person.

edit: just checked at liftopia and weekend tix are $20.99 through them, so similar to the 4pack deal you found.

Therefore you am

Did not know Whaleback was back in operation. Back when I used to do work up in ME, NH, we would sometimes drive past it. Weird setup. Glad they survived

Just read up on Whaleback... I guess they closed for a few years in the early 2000s

It is a one of a kind.. I don't know how far I'd drive to reach it, but it's a good place to have right up the road. More old New England style trails and conditions vs. Sunapee and Pat's and no run-out.

If budget is the primary concern, it's #1 in the region by far!

I finally found this thread!

Honestly, our prices, location, and terrain cannot be beat.

Besides the "coke" Mondays, check out our Family Nights on Saturdays... best deal around, but it can be a zoo (especially in rentals, don't ask me how I know...)

Here's our calendar of events with all sorts of special pricing deals. We also have discounts for a Big Y card. Seriously, I can't think of a better place to teach the kids, yet still challenge yourself with some of the best terrain that a small mountain can offer.

If you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to contact me either via PM here, e-mail at [email protected], or at (413) 339-6617 ext 310. I run the rental shop and am here open to close every day. The only time you can't get ahold of me is when I'm out making turns.

...speaking of which, time to head out! I'm typing in my ski boots in between runs and am ready to head back out! It's stupid fast out there right now, which is amazing!

Having Berkshire East just a few minutes away has been great for teaching my daughter how to ski. She started at 3yo and now at 5yo she's really getting the hang of it. Still tough for me to see her wreck but ... I would highly reccomend the B'east for a family ski outing. It's laid back, inexpensive, uncrowded and has great snow this season. From steeper tree skiing to wide open groomers, a little of everything.

yikes, just calculated what it would cost at B-East for a family of 5...2 adults, 3 juniors, to ski on a weekday non holiday...lift tick, rental, 3 helmets for juniors, 3 lessons (adult and junior first time skier, and a junior that needs help on turns, even though he thinks he doesn't)

$425...if they go on coke monday they each save $15 per lift ticket...so knock $75 off the price and you get $350...yikes...and that doesn't include round trip gas(plymouth, ma)...and food

yikes, just calculated what it would cost at B-East for a family of 5...2 adults, 3 juniors, to ski on a weekday non holiday...lift tick, rental, 3 helmets for juniors, 3 lessons (adult and junior first time skier, and a junior that needs help on turns, even though he thinks he doesn't)

$425...if they go on coke monday they each save $15 per lift ticket...so knock $75 off the price and you get $350...yikes...and that doesn't include round trip gas(plymouth, ma)...and food

Most of the schools around here have ski programs that get kids on the snow for a very reasonable rate. I don't know if they have such programs down your way but it might be something to look into for the kids. It's usually a nominal sum. I always think it's cool to see all the little skis lined up against the wall at my daughter's school. Glad that the tradition is being passed down.

Diane, go to a local ski shop, rent from them, cheaper, the kiddies can get cheap learner tics too. Expensive but priceless.

Yup. Skiing isn't cheap. Your 5 could ski at Mars Hill for $200 ((20+20)x5) but the gas/time is the killer.

Here's the fix: Blue Hills. Just up Rt #3 maybe 40 minutes from Plymouth. $20/adult, $18/junior. $28/day rental. Factor in the 20% beginner discount available on the Rates "Specials" page and your $/day/person drops to $39 ttl.

Get 'em out on the snow for cheap. Fabulous view of Baston skyline.

Case it out: Bahgain

Getting a kick out of this thread for various reasons. All us guys rushing to talk you in to the biggest/furthest/coolest hills while the best/closest solution is nearly in your view.

Heh.

Vim Toot!

Yup. Skiing isn't cheap. Your 5 could ski at Mars Hill for $200 ((20+20)x5) but the gas/time is the killer.

Here's the fix: Blue Hills. Just up Rt #3 maybe 40 minutes from Plymouth. $20/adult, $18/junior. $28/day rental. Factor in the 20% beginner discount available on the Rates "Specials" page and your $/day/person drops to $39 ttl.

Getting a kick out of this thread for various reasons. All us guys rushing to talk you in to the biggest/furthest/coolest hills while the best/closest solution is nearly in your view.

Heh.

Vim Toot!

Wow, did not realize old Big Blue was that reasonable... small hill but good for that. Plus some weather crap up top and the Trailside Museum...

Heh.

Vim Toot!

yeah, i think bluehill is the cheapest and least distance to drive...it's just eye opening when you start pricing things...and then it's (x5)...adds up fast...personally i'd love to check out B-East...

yeah, i think bluehill is the cheapest and least distance to drive...it's just eye opening when you start pricing things...and then it's (x5)...adds up fast...personally i'd love to check out B-East...

Dude, it's a no-brainer! Hell, even factor in gas, dinner, and maybe even a hotel room if you decide to stay late on some Saturday night. I dare you to find anything more reasonable!

6 hours of skiing, lift tickets x 5 = $69

Rentals at $15 ea

Lessons at $10 ea

...your family spending quality time together, learning a new sport, and supporting a local, family-run business? PRICELESS

...but whatever you choose, I suggest that you head out a few times this year. If your family really likes to do it, then hit some of the annual ski swaps that are held everywhere in the fall. Typically you can find some really good deals. (we were selling some of our used rental skis for $20/pair. ...seriously!) I find that it's great to pick up steals at these swaps, then give them to Santa to leave under the tree... It's like a double bonus.

Or, you can shop on Ebay. There are people who do nothing but buy used rentals and sell them, typically VERY reasonably. Once you don't have to rent, and don't have to deal with lessons, then skiing becomes very affordable if you look for bargains (all ski places have them... well maybe not kmart).

I also suggest, if you're able to ski yourself, only take one or two of your family members at a time, and you teach them yourself. It may take a bit longer, but that sweat equity will definitely pay off when you're having a tough time keeping up with your kids....

For one thing, if you are learning, don't waste money going to a big expensive resort with tons of terrain.

I must've missed this thread the past couple of days, but radarMan is dead on with his statement. For people who are just learning to ski and don't want to go bankrupt, I would avoid the big resorts because you can get the same experience on a beginner slope on a 500 vertical foot hill in Massachusetts that you could at a 2,500ft vertical foot hill in northern New England. The reason being is because you'll probably only be using a few hundred feet of the vertical anyway... and there's no reason to pay the $70-85 walk-up lift ticket rate at the bigger mountains if you're just going to be on a beginner slope.

What I tell people at Stowe is that its not worth paying the price of the lift ticket unless you are good enough to actually take advantage of the benefits of a big mountain like Mansfield (ie long runs, big terrain and snowfall, steeps, bumps, etc). Last year I had some friends from Boston who went to Killington for a week...they had only skied a couple of times, and ended up paying a fortune just to ride the beginner chairlifts, when they could've done the same thing for a lot cheaper at a place closer to Boston like WaWa or Nashoba Valley.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this area before, but one spot I would recommend going to if you are looking for that "mountain resort" feel but cheaper and closer to home...try Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires. They have tons of new condos, hotel, pools for the kids, hot tubs for the adults, and the ski area is probably the biggest in SNE. It has great learning terrain and green beginner trails from the top of the mountain. It also has a 6-person high speed lift so there are never any lift lines and you can get in a ton of runs in a very short period of time.

I grew up skiing in the Berkshires, and while I know there are a lot of great local hills that should be supported like Berkshire East, but if you are looking for that "ski resort" feel (ie, good lodging, restaurants, pools/hot tubs, entertainment, ice skating, etc) along with your skiing, then Jiminy Peak is probably the only place in SNE that can provide that. What you could also do, is use a place like Jiminy as your "home base" and do a couple day trips to other Berkshire ski areas like Bousquets and Berkshire East. They would be very cheap for a day lift ticket (or do some night skiing) and great hills to learn on.

Of course, you can always head up north and in northern VT, I'd look into Bolton Valley Ski Resort which is a great mountain for both learners and those who are a bit more adventurous. Its by far the cheapest place around this area (compared with the big resorts like Stowe, Smugglers Notch, Sugarbush, Killington) and has a good deal of lodging right at the base of the mountain. The place also gets an honest 300"+ per year being on the western slope of the Green Mountain spine (big upslope snows) and with a base area at an elevation of 2,100ft, it certainly hangs on to the snow it gets so the snowpack can get pretty big.

So if you are looking for the big snow and great views found in the northern Green Mountains, but don't want to pay the big resort price, I'd look into trying Bolton Valley. It is definitely one of the "sleeper ski areas" of New England.

Mars Hill is awesome! Actually I think its called Big Rock ski area (located in town of Mars Hill) and its operated by the Maine Winter Sports Club. That's probably my favorite little ski area I've ever been to. When I was at the University of Vermont, I took a 3-credit course on small, local ski hills and we took a 10-day trip to go ski as many little ski areas in New England as we could, and learn how they operate. Boy do I miss college when "course work" included going skiing haha. But anyway, Big Rock in Mars Hill, ME was my favorite of all the areas we sampled. The only problem is it is waaaaay up there in Maine, but if anyone is ever in the area (not sure why you would be, haha) definitely check out Big Rock.

Another good spot I remember was Black Mountain in Rumford, Maine. That place had a very cool laid back vibe and is also operated by the Maine Winter Sports Club... the MWSC's goal is to bring skiing to as many people as possible by making it an affordable sport. However, the gas money you'd spend to get to these spots isn't worth it. Both of those ski areas are more aimed at getting the local population outside doing something active in the cold, winter months... they definitely aren't anything close to a destination ski area. But again, I'd recommend folks check them out if you happen to be nearby.

You Canucks have gone hog wild with the windmills. That looks horrible. If I saw that in my beloved NH I would croak

I think the windmills look beautiful!! Think of all the expensive foreign oil they are displacing. And BTW, Big Rock is in Mars Hill.... Maine.

And I would have no problem with them in our state of NH, there already are some, I believe in Goshen??

I think the windmills look beautiful!! Think of all the expensive foreign oil they are displacing. And BTW, Big Rock is in Mars Hill.... Maine.

And I would have no problem with them in our state of NH, there already are some, I believe in Goshen??

2 are on the back of Wachusett, 1 on Berkshire East

2 more up here at Mount Wachusett Community College and 2 more at the local prison, 1 at a local hs (Narragansett)

Did not realize it made sense $$$ to build em here. I want one that I can plug into.

Plus many are American made

Dude, it's a no-brainer! Hell, even factor in gas, dinner, and maybe even a hotel room if you decide to stay late on some Saturday night. I dare you to find anything more reasonable!

6 hours of skiing, lift tickets x 5 = $69

Rentals at $15 ea

Lessons at $10 ea

...your family spending quality time together, learning a new sport, and supporting a local, family-run business? PRICELESS

that's a super-sweet deal...wow! i wish the age cut-off for lessons wasn't 8...my sister's youngest is just about 7...she's very sporty though...omg, now i want to go skiing!

Mars Hill is awesome! Actually I think its called Big Rock ski area (located in town of Mars Hill) and its operated by the Maine Winter Sports Club. That's probably my favorite little ski area I've ever been to. When I was at the University of Vermont, I took a 3-credit course on small, local ski hills and we took a 10-day trip to go ski as many little ski areas in New England as we could, and learn how they operate. Boy do I miss college when "course work" included going skiing haha. But anyway, Big Rock in Mars Hill, ME was my favorite of all the areas we sampled. The only problem is it is waaaaay up there in Maine, but if anyone is ever in the area (not sure why you would be, haha) definitely check out Big Rock.

Another good spot I remember was Black Mountain in Rumford, Maine. That place had a very cool laid back vibe and is also operated by the Maine Winter Sports Club... the MWSC's goal is to bring skiing to as many people as possible by making it an affordable sport. However, the gas money you'd spend to get to these spots isn't worth it. Both of those ski areas are more aimed at getting the local population outside doing something active in the cold, winter months... they definitely aren't anything close to a destination ski area. But again, I'd recommend folks check them out if you happen to be nearby.

My little 10 yr-old girl, Mimi, is a seasons passer at Big Rock. It's a great 1000' vert area. Just 15 minutes from the Toot! haus. It's on the snowmobile trails too so I ride there on my sled, ski and then sled home.

By the way, after 4pm snowmobilers are allowed to use the trails. Cool climb up and a creepy cool ride down. You'd better have good brakes.

Vim Toot!

If they go up to the Mt Washington Valley...

Rent here for $12 adults / $8 kids:

http://www.heavensski.com/ (very nice people too)

then ski here:

http://www.blackmt.c...dridingpage.php

"Valid ALL HOLIDAY PERIODS. Two adults and two juniors (Ages 6-17) can ski for $119.00 any day - $99 Midweek! (Non-Holiday Period)"

They also have this:

Learn to Ski or Ride

$69.00 for Juniors $79 for Adults

Includes a 90 minute group lesson, an all-day lift ticket and rental equipment.This program is designed for first time skiers and riders.

Not the fanciest mountain out there, but for a learning family on a budget, beats a second mortgage for Bretton Woods.

• 1 month later...

I have been checking Craigslist for ski passes, and was able to get 4 for Breton Woods at $20 each. I was there Tuesday and the snow was unreal, mid-winter conditions with powder still to be found in the trees off the top. Yesterday I snagged 4 anytime tickets for Loon @ $25 each and plan to head up Sunday with some pals.

Late season ski passes on CL can get you some fantastic deals, and the skiing is still incredible.

I have been checking Craigslist for ski passes, and was able to get 4 for Breton Woods at $20 each. I was there Tuesday and the snow was unreal, mid-winter conditions with powder still to be found in the trees off the top. Yesterday I snagged 4 anytime tickets for Loon @ $25 each and plan to head up Sunday with some pals.

Late season ski passes on CL can get you some fantastic deals, and the skiing is still incredible.

Good deal. I scored some Killington tickets on CL for $45 a piece so we went last weekend. I couldn't believe the conditions for 3/26. They had received about 6" from earlier in the week and the snow kept all week, more so in the woods. Conditions were mid-season with temps in the mid 20s and sun. Lift lines weren't bad at all just have to know where to go. We all had a great day of skiing. We're going to finish off the season at Wachusett on Sunday. Looking like a beautiful day 45 degrees with bluebird skies on 8-10" of fresh. Great way to end the season.

Archived