• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The best ski rates

#NoPoles

I know many of the New Englanders ski...My sister and her husband would like to take their 3 kids skiing...she's been pricing mtns and it looks like for rentals and lift tix for 2 adults and and 3 kids it's going to be around $400 and up...just for one day of skiing...she and the two older kids wouldn't need a lesson but her husband and youngest kid would... just wondering if any of the more knowledgeable skiiers have any tips about how to go skiing without going bankrupt!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know many of the New Englanders ski...My sister and her husband would like to take their 3 kids skiing...she's been pricing mtns and it looks like for rentals and lift tix for 2 adults and and 3 kids it's going to be around $400 and up...just for one day of skiing...she and the two older kids wouldn't need a lesson but her husband and youngest kid would... just wondering if any of the more knowledgeable skiiers have any tips about how to go skiing without going bankrupt!

For one thing, if you are learning, don't waste money going to a big expensive resort with tons of terrain. You won't be using it anyway. Find a small area which will cost much less and take your lumps there. Weekdays/nights are ideal if possible, especially days that schools are closed. There will be snow and it will hurt less to fall, powder skiing is way more fun, and there won't be any lines which will maximize your time on the hill.

As an example, Crotched Mt. in southern NH has two adult full day tickets for $50 on Tuesdays. I'm sure you can find other deals like that. Like HubbDave just said Berkshire East is cheap on Mondays if you bring a can of coke. Look for stuff like that... A lot of places have little deals or promotions, like bring a can, get X off tickets. Or fill up 3 times, get X off. Or 'Jeep Day' or Massachusetts day, or :

http://www.pathtovermont.com (promo code B035934) , etc...

For equipment, ski swaps at the end of the year are a good way to go. Beginner skiers don't need the best new skis. I would suggest laying out the cash for new boots though... Good luck!

You can find good deals if you're willing to go mid week and not during school vacation week.

I hear Waterville Valley is going to have $20 tickets tomorrow. They usually have mid-week deals. Cannon offers two-fer ticket days on Tuesdays and Thursdays ($67 for two tickets).

Also, you can tell them to try Craigslist.

1000' vertical

1 dbl chair. 1 trpl chair. Beginner ramp/people mover.

Full snowmaking. Night skiing Wed-Fri.

Night ski free Wed.

Adult day pass $25.00/$30.00

Jr. day pass $20.00/$25.00

Full rental pkg $20/day

Cute area. My 10 yr old girl skis there.

So, Mica Vim Toot, what's the catch?

7.5 hrs travel from Wistah. Everything resorty up here is cheap. Except gas.

Cheap!

bigrock.jpg

3364636088_2023b3534c.jpg?v=1237836526

we just tried out Pat's Peak...nice and small but still fun trails...her two older kids went with us (9, 11) first time on skis...used the beginner package for the valley...kids got a lesson...picked it up super fast...after the lesson they were riding the chairlift and skiing the down the green circles with my sister and i...we live in MA so we were checking out prices at Wa Wa, Nashoba, and Blue Hill...a lot less driving than Pat's Peak, and we thought they would be cheaper since they are not super resorts (we don't need super resorts) but she calculated Wa Wa for a family of 5 and with rentals and lift tix and two lessons, it was over 400 dollars(for just a day trip) (more expensive than Pat's Peak) so we were bummed...it seems as though skiing is becoming inaccessible to the middle class...

Diane, my son and I purchased Wachusett passes back in November

$229.00 each. He gets 6 lessons for 40 bucks or so

We got used gear at a swap. I have gone 21 times so far

$10 and change per visit, mostly nights. Goal is to get it to $5 per visit

Wachusett is overly priced if you don't do it right...

It can be very middle class if you do it the right way.

Seriously check out the Beast in western Mass. Good lite mountain with no crowds and friendly folks

Good chili, too

Diane, my son and I purchased Wachusett passes back in November

$229.00 each. He gets 6 lessons for 40 bucks or so

We got used gear at a swap. I have gone 21 times so far

$10 and change per visit, mostly nights. Goal is to get it to $5 per visit

Wachusett is overly priced if you don't do it right...

It can be very middle class if you do it the right way.

Seriously check out the Beast in western Mass. Good lite mountain with no crowds and friendly folks

Good chili, too

yeah, i just looked at the Beast website and then sent it to my sister...it looks great! i would actually like to ski there...nice easy terrain for the two who haven't skied before...some terrain for the rest of us advanced beginners! i like the food pantry special, i think that's great how they are linked to the local community!

yeah, i just looked at the Beast website and then sent it to my sister...it looks great! i would actually like to ski there...nice easy terrain for the two who haven't skied before...some terrain for the rest of us advanced beginners! i like the food pantry special, i think that's great how they are linked to the local community!

Send a pm to Professional Lurker.

The do have so good challenging stuff, too. GC ftw

If I lived closer to Berkshire East I would def choose it over WaWa. I only go there because of the 15 min drive and the waffles.

Crotched Mtn is not far, either.

Not sure about Jiminy

Bolton Valley: http://www.liftopia.com/ski-resort-info/resort/802002/VT/Bolton-Valley.htm?gclid=CMWnpqy896YCFcTb4AodByRRFw

Probably easiest to rent at the mountain.

If you want to rent a little better equipment, try here: http://www.pinnacleskisports.com/ (I work there part time)

Best place on line to buy equipment: http://www.skiessentials.com/ - click on Killer Deals.

I've been skiing since I was a little kid. Made my first trip to the Beast this year. It was great for beginners, relatively inexpensive, not nearly as crowded as other places, and has enough terrain for advanced skiers to make it interesting (IMHO, much more interesting than WaWa).

I've been skiing since I was a little kid. Made my first trip to the Beast this year. It was great for beginners, relatively inexpensive, not nearly as crowded as other places, and has enough terrain for advanced skiers to make it interesting (IMHO, much more interesting than WaWa).

Agreed.

The only thing lacking is a good main lift. That lift stinks...

1000' vertical

1 dbl chair. 1 trpl chair. Beginner ramp/people mover.

Full snowmaking. Night skiing Wed-Fri.

Night ski free Wed.

Adult day pass $25.00/$30.00

Jr. day pass $20.00/$25.00

Full rental pkg $20/day

Cute area. My 10 yr old girl skis there.

So, Mica Vim Toot, what's the catch?

7.5 hrs travel from Wistah. Everything resorty up here is cheap. Except gas.

Cheap!

bigrock.jpg

3364636088_2023b3534c.jpg?v=1237836526

You Canucks have gone hog wild with the windmills. That looks horrible. If I saw that in my beloved NH I would croak

Agreed.

The only thing lacking is a good main lift. That lift stinks...

I like the slower chairs at B-east (and relatively uncrowded slopes). It's steep enough that the ride time isn't excessive for the run you get. I don't think a high-speed chair would be a good thing there.

the Beast is a great little mountain though. We used to race there in the 80's for HS ski team. So much F'n fun I can't even tell you. Although back then we called it Berkshire ICE.

Oh, yeah. I love the place. As I posted earlier, if I lived closer to it (still an hour or so drive) I would go there over Wachusett any day.

The Competition slope and... Flying Cloud? are great trails...Super variety for an 1100' hill.

Oh, yeah. I love the place. As I posted earlier, if I lived closer to it (still an hour or so drive) I would go there over Wachusett any day.

The Competition slope and... Flying Cloud? are great trails...Super variety for an 1100' hill.

Wachusett's a gem though, you're lucky to be that close to it. I grew up 15 mins from Blandford and all it's 300ft vertical..:thumbsup: But when I was 5 yrs old it might as well have been Killington.

You Canucks have gone hog wild with the windmills. That looks horrible. If I saw that in my beloved NH I would croak

Please croak now.

Wind_Farm_from_Lempster-e.jpg

12 monstrosities loom over Lempster as I type.

Another 33 will be on line in Coos Cty soon.

Your beloved NH is being horrible-ized by wild hogs and their Martian fighting machines!

Many more in the permitting process across NH. They won't affect you though because you will have croaked as you promised above.

It's time you lived up to your words!

No one has ever called me a "Canuck" before.

What's next, "Rusky"?

Vim Toot!

I like the slower chairs at B-east (and relatively uncrowded slopes). It's steep enough that the ride time isn't excessive for the run you get. I don't think a high-speed chair would be a good thing there.

Agreed. The lines are short, and the ride up is not long enough (IMHO) to warrant a faster lift. Nevermind that they would have to raise lift ticket costs to cover the cost of a new high speed lift. There are also two lifts that go form the bottom to the top. For me, it's a bit farther away than WaWa, but well worth it.

Archived