joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've busted pretty hard for the forecast that is going to verify in the next 5-10 days. The "superstorm" is going to go way OTS and the thaw that I thought would be shortlived and lower amplitude looks like it's going to hang around longer than I anticipated (maybe 7-9 days instead of 3-5).

Just a reminder that I'm still learning all of this MR forecasting stuff and I'm going to bust huge every now and again :)

If i had to guess when we could start to see some a more wintry pattern setup for the area it would be after presidents day around feb 21 or so....The teleconnections are trying to build in a -na0 combined with a -epo. With the -pna though it could argue for a good amount of ice storms and ohio valley tracks that redevlop on the coast with the se ridge looming. I also wouldn't be shocked to see a swfe before hand if its timed perfectly with one of the 1-2 day glancing cold shots beforehand.

f384.gif

If i had to guess when we could start to see some a more wintry pattern setup for the area it would be after presidents day around feb 21 or so....The teleconnections are trying to build in a -na0 combined with a -epo. With the -pna though it could argue for a good amount of ice storms and ohio valley tracks that redevlop on the coast with the se ridge looming. I also wouldn't be shocked to see a swfe before hand if its timed perfectly with one of the 1-2 day glancing cold shots beforehand.

Just want to take some time and show the first real "potential" shot of snow/wintry weather after this upcoming warmth. Below are todays 18z gfs and 12z euro runs. The euro has been showing this on and off for the last 2 or so days, while the gfs has just started showing this as of 18z, while some of the ens members have been showing this. The potential threat has a strong indicator of possible overunning precipitation on or a couple days before or after presidents day. Any storng storm coming out of the rockies in this setup is going to cut right to the lakes with the teleconnection configuration of a -pna , weak -nao to somewhat positive nao, -epo. The -pna will ensure that the se ridge will be around, so a strengthening storm coming out of the rockies is really going to pump the ridge out ahead of this. With no real blocking in this pattern as shown now, nothing is preventing it from cutting. The scenario which we want is a weak system coming out traveling along the baroclinic zone from a front dropping down from the north throwing waa into the cold air.

euro maps

12zeuro500mbHGHTNA240.gif

ecmwf-mslp-qpf6hr-us_hr240.png

gfs

gfs_500_240m.gif

Yes euro is so reliable!

I'm not sure what you're implying here? I'm not taking the Euro weekly forecast verbatim, but there are lots of things that signal an extended period of warmth upcoming (note: this will bust my forecast from the end of January, so I'm not exactly happy about it).

1. The MJO is weaker than expected. That means the -EPO ridge will be less likely go up, or at least be weaker when it does.

2. All mountain torque signals are negative, meaning the planetary wave forcing will favor a +AO through the end of the month. That goes against the Don S statistical signature, which I was banking on.

3. Less ridging than expected over the Atlantic. Instead, the blocking appears to be focused on Scandinavia.

4. The polar vortex should be located over Western North America through February, putting the East Coast on the warm advection side.

5. The subtropical high is finally becoming dominant over the subtropical Atlantic. This is favored in Ninas, despite the fact that we haven't seen it yet this year. I waited too long in forecasting its dominance, even if it ends up being short-lived.

At the very least, if we're going to get sustained cold again, the onset has been delayed at least a week from what I was thinking a week ago.

There's nothing wrong with him. If it is an early end to winter (which is still in doubt,) that is a little upsetting.

How much snow have you had Matt? I know you've been relatively screwed compared to many areas east of you... so I can understand you feeling a little ripped off.

However, DarkStar has had close to if not more than 60 inches... he should be happy no matter what happens after the run of winter weather he's had.

We had an amazing 8 week run of near completely solid cold and a 5 week run of pretty impressive snows. You don't get that type of consistency in the pattern in our region and compared to where we were in the 90's, 2001-2, etc. this is certainly one of the better winters for the Philadelphia region in general.

If winter has to end in mid February as the "price" we paid for that kind of a run, so be it. It was a great run...enjoy it, appreciate it, and don't whine about a mid February warm up. We've had much worse winters to contend with...don't get spoiled by the three year run we've had because you never know when the next 72-73 shows up.

FWIW, it probably snows again before winter is over -- when we've had these types of February thaws we have had March snowfalls (not storms necessarily) -- 1990, 1994, 2001, 2004, 2009 are years where we hit 60 in Feb and then it snowed in March and/or April.

How much snow have you had Matt? I know you've been relatively screwed compared to many areas east of you... so I can understand you feeling a little ripped off.

However, DarkStar has had close to if not more than 60 inches... he should be happy no matter what happens after the run of winter weather he's had.

Strong winter for sure in Edison. I still expect to get some more snow this season hopefully.

People informing winter is over, just because the pattern breakdowns makes me a tad angy.

DT made a decent post on the subject.

Archived