• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

Strong winter for sure in Edison. I still expect to get some more snow this season hopefully.

People informing winter is over, just because the pattern breakdowns makes me a tad angy.

DT made a decent post on the subject.

You live in central NJ so you really should remember to keep your expectations low, no matter what's happened up til now. ;)

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had an amazing 8 week run of near completely solid cold and a 5 week run of pretty impressive snows. You don't get that type of consistency in the pattern in our region and compared to where we were in the 90's, 2001-2, etc. this is certainly one of the better winters for the Philadelphia region in general.

If winter has to end in mid February as the "price" we paid for that kind of a run, so be it. It was a great run...enjoy it, appreciate it, and don't whine about a mid February warm up. We've had much worse winters to contend with...don't get spoiled by the three year run we've had because you never know when the next 72-73 shows up.

FWIW, it probably snows again before winter is over -- when we've had these types of February thaws we have had March snowfalls (not storms necessarily) -- 1990, 1994, 2001, 2004, 2009 are years where we hit 60 in Feb and then it snowed in March and/or April.

Well said.

We had an amazing 8 week run of near completely solid cold and a 5 week run of pretty impressive snows. You don't get that type of consistency in the pattern in our region and compared to where we were in the 90's, 2001-2, etc. this is certainly one of the better winters for the Philadelphia region in general.

If winter has to end in mid February as the "price" we paid for that kind of a run, so be it. It was a great run...enjoy it, appreciate it, and don't whine about a mid February warm up. We've had much worse winters to contend with...don't get spoiled by the three year run we've had because you never know when the next 72-73 shows up.

FWIW, it probably snows again before winter is over -- when we've had these types of February thaws we have had March snowfalls (not storms necessarily) -- 1990, 1994, 2001, 2004, 2009 are years where we hit 60 in Feb and then it snowed in March and/or April.

seems to me that you are forgetting another march date............:whistle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

Despite what the Euro weeklies are showing, this fits well with typical Nina climatology as well. HM has speculated it has to do with the buildup of ozone during the winter months because strat warming events don't happen often in Ninas. I'm not entirely sure if that applies to this winter since we had a -AO for most of December/January, but it was due to planetary wave disruption instead of solar induced warming.

Strong winter for sure in Edison. I still expect to get some more snow this season hopefully.

People informing winter is over, just because the pattern breakdowns makes me a tad angy.

DT made a decent post on the subject.

Out of curiosity, who has said winter is over? I've not seen anyone say that in this thread or on the main board.

Of course its easy to list lots of February's where it hits 60 since its actually rather common. Here's the max temps in February during the last 30 years, and the snowfall in the following March and April:

1981 68 8.8

1982 62 5.1

1983 59 2.8

1984 64 10.3

1985 74 T

1986 56 T

1987 50 T

1988 65 T

1989 66 2.4

1990 67 4.8

1991 69 0.7

1992 67 2.5

1993 55 12.4

1994 61 4.9

1995 58 T

1996 66 9.6

1997 74 7.1

1998 62 0.1

1999 70 4.9

2000 69 1.6

2001 62 1.8

2002 70 T

2003 48 2.0

2004 63 4.0

2005 62 1.5

2006 62 0.1

2007 50 4.7

2008 68 T

2009 69 9.0

2010 46 T

Out of curiosity, who has said winter is over? I've not seen anyone say that in this thread or on the main board.

DT made a long post on his website that the back of winter is essentially broken, agreeing with JB. He doesn't think the pattern is coming back, from what I digested from his post. He didn't say there wouldn't be ANY more cold and snow... just that the pattern is broken.

day 8-9 has a rain going over to snow with a gradient type pattern...with us being on the cold side of the boundary

This is a typical pattern after this 60 degree indian thaw. But what concerns me is that after the passage of this cold front in 10-15 days- watch out-- a big snow storm may appear in the models when the cold quebec high gets back in place. Usually a good Miller A forms along the tail end of the cold front in the gulf. Time and time again I have seen this and if the models are hinting this now, watch out. This time you are playing with a lot of gulf moisture. Check out my blog- I called for this back in November before winter is over.

This is a typical pattern after this 60 degree indian thaw. But what concerns me is that after the passage of this cold front in 10-15 days- watch out-- a big snow storm may appear in the models when the cold quebec high gets back in place. Usually a good Miller A forms along the tail end of the cold front in the gulf. Time and time again I have seen this and if the models are hinting this now, watch out. This time you are playing with a lot of gulf moisture. Check out my blog- I called for this back in November before winter is over.

The GFS, of course, is significantly different with that time frame...

There is new moisture forming though in the gulf and SE at 10 day. Of course in 12 hours the euro might show sunshine and 70 for the same time period so no use in worrying about details.:axe:

The posts in this thread make it seem like there's been no chance at all on the models of any snow during the next 10-16 days, when in fact both the GFS and EC have been showing glancing blows and near misses for several days. Of course, they're all very marginal temp wise... such that if they were more direct hits they'd likely be mix or rain.

Its gonna be hard for you guys to get any good storms with the raging negative PNA.

The posts in this thread make it seem like there's been no chance at all on the models of any snow during the next 10-16 days, when in fact both the GFS and EC have been showing glancing blows and near misses for several days. Of course, they're all very marginal temp wise... such that if they were more direct hits they'd likely be mix or rain.

Its gonna be hard for you guys to get any good storms with the raging negative PNA.

only way to counter that is a good -nao, like we had earlier, but that isnt forecasted to happen either.

yea but i wonder if thats all purely east based

It is but it's trying to move west by Feb. 20th.

Note that it also occurs right when this overrunning threat is modeled.

P.S. 18z GFS continues to show day 8-9 overrunning with a miller b coastal transfer this time. That's at least 6 runs in a row.

It is but it's trying to move west by Feb. 20th.

Note that it also occurs right when this overrunning threat is modeled.

P.S. 18z GFS continues to show day 8-9 overrunning with a miller b coastal transfer this time. That's at least 6 runs in a row.

yea i made a remark about it like 3-4 days ago and did some maps.. Granted its way out in time, but whats being shown on the gfs is mainly rain for phl and burbs with a little snow. The surface temps are to warm. theoretically it could be snow, but it would be a non accumulating snow. Up in abe to rdg region they do a little better

Archived