• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GREETINGS!

Parsley

I'll still be reading earthlight's stuff for sure...

I guess I will need to do more forum jumping then before... a drawback but we will survive

Hopefully the split will make it easier to find quality analysis from quality posters in both regions. Earthlight/Forky/Don S will have us all checking back on our neighbors to the north I'm sure.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the split will make it easier to find quality analysis from quality posters in both regions. Earthlight/Forky/Don S will have us all checking back on our neighbors to the north I'm sure.

For sure, some great posters in and around NYC, but this move should allow more people in our area to chime in and discuss in a more...relaxed environment in my opinion.

I disagree.

I see two reasons to split NYC/PHL.

1) Different NWS offices

2) PHL includes more inland areas that are usually quite climatologically different than coastal areas around NYC.

It's not that the region was too large, it is just has very diverse climatology within it. Although Mt Holly/PHL CWA includes everything from DE/SNJ coast to the Lehigh Valley/southern Poconos.

I see two reasons to split NYC/PHL.

1) Different NWS offices

2) PHL includes more inland areas that are usually quite climatologically different than coastal areas around NYC.

Those should not really matter, especially the first one, as this is a weather forum to discuss the weather.

Thank god we're finally rid of those guys! j/k wink.gif

Even though Philly and NYC are only about 90 miles apart, these past two winters have demonstrated how different the resulting weather can be at times. The NY crew has some great posters who offer wonderful analysis; it won't be a big deal to jump back and forth between forums.

What was the reason(s) for splitting into another subforum? I think we are dividing this forum to much. I guess on the flip-side, this subforum is more or less covering my CWA, but still means more work to follow other interested discussions/reports. I guess I should let it play out to see how it works.

Mike - I agree with you on this issue. There is alot of overlap to the NYC/NNJ forum especially leading up to a storm. I can understand splitting this as we get closer to a storm and OBS. In any event this site is run much better than the old Eastern WX site.

I think AVP/ABE should be here.

As for central Pa, I believe THV, LNS, CXY is more "Philly-like" than State College like, anything SE of the Appalachains in central PA . But that's just me. I guess its really their choice.

In reality, I think I-81 north/south and and perhaps I-80 should be the rough boundries for this region. Most places south and east of there share more in common with the PHL/ABE area then they do with the Central PA mountains.

In reality, I think I-81 north/south and and perhaps I-80 should be the rough boundries for this region. Most places south and east of there share more in common with the PHL/ABE area then they do with the Central PA mountains.

Those 2 interstates are excellent examples. Especially in summer months, CXY and THV and ABE run closer to PHL (especially its nearby suburbs).

Mike, you are right, but let's face the facts. When you have 2 concentrated areas, NYC and PHL, and one gets snow while the other gets shafted or rain, there will be a whole city of people complaining and picking fights with the other. This has been less evident wrt NEPA getting shafter vs phl/nyc getting slammed because there are not as many people in NEPA to complain. lol. The bickering is the main reason for the split I believe. Sad but true. And then you throw in the kids that want a snow day and omg... lol

This should be much, much better. +1 to the staff for shoving NYC into its own forum.

I like most of the posters there but I like this move.

You should post wherever you feel is best. I think if you're Poconos, along Blue Mountain or south/east this forum would make sense.

Maybe in NJ the split should be where PHI and NYC's boundary lies?

Mike, you are right, but let's face the facts. When you have 2 concentrated areas, NYC and PHL, and one gets snow while the other gets shafted or rain, there will be a whole city of people complaining and picking fights with the other. This has been less evident wrt NEPA getting shafter vs phl/nyc getting slammed because there are not as many people in NEPA to complain. lol. The bickering is the main reason for the split I believe. Sad but true. And then you throw in the kids that want a snow day and omg... lol

Having read many episodes of bickering , I fully agree that this was probably the cause of the split. IMO, it makes sense from a moderation standpoint.

im not denying some of this true, but the fact of the matter is that it is absolutely pathetic, and now because adults cant stop bickering, we are spreading the mets thinner. It is a sad commentary.

quote name='_AR_' timestamp='1296764787' post='428746']

I saw less of the fighting/bitching among Philly folks and most of it between NYC area posters. It wasn't as much NYC v. Philly although that flared from time to time...the real problem was with the handful of NYC'ers that bitched and picked fights with other NYC'ers about stupid stuff.

In a "perfect" world the two cities could co-exist but the problem posters in the NYC area made that tough to deal with.

I'm not saying Philly's crowd is perfect but how many of the Philly crowd are 5 posted and how many of the NYC crowd are/have been threatened with it?

I do not like the split. It has become difficult and time consuming enough to filter through and find good information/posts on all the different forums. Why exactly was this split needed?

I for one will not be posting everything twice even if I believe it has meaning to the PHL area too..This is becoming too much guys, in my opinion.

"Spreading the Mets thinner" is a good way to put it.

I saw less of the fighting/bitching among Philly folks and most of it between NYC area posters. It wasn't as much NYC v. Philly although that flared from time to time...the real problem was with the handful of NYC'ers that bitched and picked fights with other NYC'ers about stupid stuff.

In a "perfect" world the two cities could co-exist but the problem posters in the NYC area made that tough to deal with.

I'm not saying Philly's crowd is perfect but how many of the Philly crowd are 5 posted and how many of the NYC crowd are/have been threatened with it?

+1

I do not like the split. It has become difficult and time consuming enough to filter through and find good information/posts on all the different forums. Why exactly was this split needed?

I for one will not be posting everything twice even if I believe it has meaning to the PHL area too..This is becoming too much guys, in my opinion.

Yes, it hurts spreading the mets. thin, but in the prior setup (in my opinion) if the mets. talked about an upcoming storm and what kind of impact it would have on eastern PA, you would get 4x the number of NYC posters wondering what about us, what does it look like for us? I'd say there were 4 NYC/northern NJ posters for every 1 eastern PA/southern NJ poster.

I think this is a good move. There is a HUGE climatological diff between NYC and PHL during the winter months especially. I don't pay any mind to the arguing etc not do I pinpoint them to a particular region....just use the block button.

As far as the 5 post crew, I'm one (given when I joined without ever posting) and I apologize for you guys having my past reputation as part of this sub forum. I will say I don't believe I've added one negative or meaningless post since joining the forum, and I will continue to be an integral and informative part of the group as much as I can, so I hope I'm still welcome here. :yikes:

Cheers! :drunk:

EXACTLY. Very well put, no one could say it better. I'm quite disappointed with the split and I think we're going to lose a lot of good analysis in both threads as a result. We really should've done a poll.

Don't forget Walt Drag!

The guy I'll miss most of all from the NYC forum is earthlight. He had some kick-butt analysis and did EURO pbp when tombo was absent. Not to mention the Mother of God images.

With my job now, its going to be hard to do the 12z analysis on the weekdays because of it. When i get the chance if people want qpf maps just let me know and i will do it when i get home or have a chance at work... Once a possible even gets to 4 days and is still there i will stay up for the 0z runs to help people out. On weekends i can do both runs, so that should help. Irishbri has euro access to, so he could do the 12z runs if im not around.

Agreed. My climo is much closer to Philly's then it is to the mountain areas of Pa.

Harrisburg checking in.

We are in the C PA thread (which IMO is the best thread on the forums, as far as lack-of-whining posters go, but thank God this thread is delegate now from NYC!)). MDT fits in with both regions, as we have a climate that can get storms Philly-census and still cash in on some app runners.

Archived