wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 8

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya, my drive home from work tomorrow evening looks downright awful, as for Wednesday...I expect a lot of shut down roads/interstates...and likely having police telling people to stay off the roads or get a ticket. They usually do that in really bad storms...they only want plows and emergency vehicles on the roads, thats it. I heard a lot of pessimistic people today at the store...its unreal. The storms is knocking on the doorstep and people aren't heeding the warnings or blowing it off. Hope they don't get stranded because they won't get rescued.

Yeah Dwyer and Michaels were sort of playing up the hype on the radio this morning in sort of a sarcastic fashion. We've been burned so many times over the last 10 years after all they hype that I think some folks have become a little complacent to word of the storm. I think this will give people in the QC a reality check in that these big storms actually can happen lol.

Yeah Dwyer and Michaels were sort of playing up the hype on the radio this morning in sort of a sarcastic fashion. We've been burned so many times over the last 10 years after all they hype that I think some folks have become a little complacent to word of the storm. I think this will give people in the QC a reality check in that these big storms actually can happen lol.

I could tell you how I really feel about those two due to some past run ins, but I won't I don't want to get banned.

30hrs: 996mb SLP near Terre Haute, In. Same location and strength as 12z run.

Nice hit from KC to far S. Michigan.

Yep, 4km NMM WRF run actually slaps the low in almost that exact location, right near the IL/IN border. It was about 1-2 hrs too slow, but otherwise looking good. Should be similar with the QPF I would imagine.

Regardless, local liquid equivalents and snow totals are going to be driven largely by intense mesoscale effects, which aren't always possible to forecast and will cause actual amounts to vary quite a bit from one station to the next. The high-res WRF definitely illustrates the type of stuff we're going to be dealing with tomorrow, including convectively enhanced snow banding, incredible frontogenesis and isentropic lift, and a beautiful deformation zone.

Watching that model run wrap convection (and some fairly strong stuff at that) in around the WCB is stunning to behold.

What happened that brought the QPF for SEMI below 1.00 to .90 ?

.9 for kptk and kdtw for the main event about .2 for the stuff right nowthumbsdownsmileyanim.gif we'll see how the mesoscale features come together i'd still stick with a 11-15 inch forecast for the area banding and thunderstorms running up into the cold air are a wild card in this. I just hope that the dry slot doesn't get up in detroit, living there for 22 years the dry slot usually tends to track a bit further north, but with a secondary forming and occlusion they might avoid the dry slot.

Archived