joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 8

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the same as my prelim call. Lowered to 8-12/6-10 but the elevated instability in the DGZ showing up on BUFKIT makes me believe we could have a 3-5 hour of TSSN/2" per hour rates late tuesday night into Wed morning. Model QPF charts aren't going to pick that up.

Canuck, what do you think for Ottawa. An accuweather met seems to think only 2-4", which seems kind of low given the model trends. I'm thinking 6-8"

It was the same as my prelim call. Lowered to 8-12/6-10 but the elevated instability in the DGZ showing up on BUFKIT makes me believe we could have a 3-5 hour of TSSN/2" per hour rates late tuesday night into Wed morning. Model QPF charts aren't going to pick that up.

Should be interesting if we get thundersnow. In any event, the Wed. AM rush hour is going to be insane.

I had to drive to Minooka tonight with my daughter, it wasn't snowing when we left. There was about 1/2 inch on the roads coming home and the highway was horrible. If this gives me any inkling as to how Idot is going to handle tomorrow and tomorrow night, its going to be ugly. I want to thank anyone that is working to keep our roads clean, but I will say I55 and I80 were not good tonight. Be safe out there everyone!!!!!

LOL....I'm 90 miles southeast of the consensus track and I'm watching it. This is an amazing storm and I'm looking at absolutely nothing....no snow, no zr, no severe, nada...the ultimate screw zone. However, I'm watching it because it's hard to take your eyes off of weather like this taking place anywhere.

Granted, it is sickening in a way that we can't seem to get a big storm year-in and year-out. But...when you love weather, what are you gonna do?

i'm only 70 miles west of the action and it is driving me insane as well. Oh well we got about 5 more weeks to get in a big storm before spring time arrives.

It sure looks like to me with the way the precip is blossoming in the plains we are going to be seeing some decent snow starting right around 10am to noon. That might be a hair faster than expected. Im liking 13-17" for the quad cities. And I think we'll be in the middle to high end of that range.

It sure looks like to me with the way the precip is blossoming in the plains we are going to be seeing some decent snow starting right around 10am to noon. That might be a hair faster than expected. Im liking 13-17" for the quad cities. And I think we'll be in the middle to high end of that range.

What are your thoughts about the totals out in Iowa City & Cedar Rapids? I was thinking 10-13, but I've seen anywhere from 6 to 17, so quite the range.

What are your thoughts about the totals out in Iowa City & Cedar Rapids? I was thinking 10-13, but I've seen anywhere from 6 to 17, so quite the range.

8-12" seems like a good bet... middle of that zone most likely but the gradients will be tight... quickly going up to the E and SE and rapidly dropping off to the West.

i'm only 70 miles west of the action and it is driving me insane as well. Oh well we got about 5 more weeks to get in a big storm before spring time arrives.

Indeed...weather can really drive you insane. I don't know about the rest of the winter. Things don't look so favorable for us right now in the long-term and it looks like we'll both be too far northwest for the next storm.

However, this is one heck of a storm....and I guess I can hope that maybe this thing gets so wrapped up we get some unforgettable and record-breaking winds.

Latest RUC goes crazy with the low and has much stronger wind fields across the entire plains by tomorrow than either the NAM/GFS. I feel more confident as this unfolds those pieces of guidance will likely be wrong.

What's your opinion on STL? It's up there right now as prob one of the toughest calls IMO. A lot of the guidance came in colder today, either due to the Low shifting east more or the storm so dynamic that there's going to be quite a bit of cooling once we get on the backside of the low. I live in the city, and my prediction is some ice glaze in the early AM, 2" of Sleet and 10" of Snow....Do you think if the RUC is correct that STL will be in a less favorable position? Thanks ahead of time. Enjoy your thoughts.

Indeed...weather can really drive you insane. I don't know about the rest of the winter. Things don't look so favorable for us right now in the long-term and it looks like we'll both be too far northwest for the next storm.

Give it time... lots of room for that system to play with....all the snow that is soon to be on the ground to your NW might be able to enhance any future baroclinic zones for future systems to feed and fuel on. Storms don't always track along the edges of the snow fields, but I tend to believe snow only enhances the chances of it happening...

Latest RUC goes crazy with the low and has much stronger wind fields across the entire plains by tomorrow than either the NAM/GFS. I feel more confident as this unfolds those pieces of guidance will likely be wrong.

How crazy...mb? It's late and I'm feelin' lazy.

Im not evening using the NAM/GFS for what I'm thinking will go down. I was trying to explain the problems to my meso class tonight at school lol

told them all that I think a nw trend is going to play out tomorrow.

Archived