joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 8

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your opinion on STL? It's up there right now as prob one of the toughest calls IMO. A lot of the guidance came in colder today, either due to the Low shifting east more or the storm so dynamic that there's going to be quite a bit of cooling once we get on the backside of the low. I live in the city, and my prediction is some ice glaze in the early AM, 2" of Sleet and 10" of Snow....Do you think if the RUC is correct that STL will be in a less favorable position? Thanks ahead of time. Enjoy your thoughts.

I personally think its a tough call there... the mid level lows on the E and SE sections of them may be enough to pull in a warm layer aloft, but at the same time their arrival will help to cool the column. My best guess for STL is more impressive totals just W and N of the city proper with a lot of sleet in the city itself...then a quick burst of 6-8" of snow quite possible and some front end icing as you have alluded to.

It sure looks like to me with the way the precip is blossoming in the plains we are going to be seeing some decent snow starting right around 10am to noon. That might be a hair faster than expected. Im liking 13-17" for the quad cities. And I think we'll be in the middle to high end of that range.

I made my call at work an hour ago, so I might as well share it here too. I'm going 14.5" event total for Moline (which would bump 1/3/99 out of the top 5 snow events by 0.2").

I personally think its a tough call there... the mid level lows on the E and SE sections of them may be enough to pull in a warm layer aloft, but at the same time their arrival will help to cool the column. My best guess for STL is more impressive totals just W and N of the city proper with a lot of sleet in the city itself...then a quick burst of 6-8" of snow quite possible and some front end icing as you have alluded to.

Thanks Justin, appreciate your thoughts. FWIW, our local NWS guys are calling for 11-15" (11" City and 15" as you head about 20 miles NNW of City). And 16-20" NW of a Troy to Herman, MO line out towards Columbia. My favorite station guys (Fox2) are calling 8-12" Metro and 12-24" NW of that...

What's your opinion on STL? It's up there right now as prob one of the toughest calls IMO. A lot of the guidance came in colder today, either due to the Low shifting east more or the storm so dynamic that there's going to be quite a bit of cooling once we get on the backside of the low. I live in the city, and my prediction is some ice glaze in the early AM, 2" of Sleet and 10" of Snow....Do you think if the RUC is correct that STL will be in a less favorable position? Thanks ahead of time. Enjoy your thoughts.

If this tracks W--there will indeed be more glazing with a more robust warm layer and less sleet. Watch the track and trends as if this thing intensifies faster than the NCEP NAM/GFS ops have it will track well west of them.

Latest RUC goes crazy with the low and has much stronger wind fields across the entire plains by tomorrow than either the NAM/GFS. I feel more confident as this unfolds those pieces of guidance will likely be wrong.

Curious to know your thoughts on how far W the major (8"+) accumulations will go in KS and OK given the trends in the short term modeling tonight? I made a call earlier today of 8-10" in KICT with 14-20" on either side of the KS/MO and MO/OK borders and I am still a little leary of that call.

And cyclone I think 15-18" for you very likely.

I've been pretty conservative with 10-15", but seeing the new RUC and others verify better with what's going on I may be a bit too low. If the RUC scenario actually pans out the QC would have a great chance at setting a new all-time storm total record of over 18". Needless to say I don't think I'll be able to make it to work Wednesday morning lol.

Well if I had to pin an exact amount on this as a guessing game for the fun of it, I'll say 16.2" event total.

would be curious to here your thoughts as well as any other met (baro, Ocean, etc) for here.

I'm too lazy and tired to do a forecast discussion for my blog right now so going to get up at 8am and hopefully knock one out.

I've been pretty conservative with 10-15", but seeing the new RUC and others verify better with what's going on I may be a bit too low. If the RUC scenario actually pans out the QC would have a great chance at setting a new all-time storm total record of over 18". Needless to say I don't think I'll be able to make it to work Wednesday morning lol.

I hear ya, my drive home from work tomorrow evening looks downright awful, as for Wednesday...I expect a lot of shut down roads/interstates...and likely having police telling people to stay off the roads or get a ticket. They usually do that in really bad storms...they only want plows and emergency vehicles on the roads, thats it. I heard a lot of pessimistic people today at the store...its unreal. The storms is knocking on the doorstep and people aren't heeding the warnings or blowing it off. Hope they don't get stranded because they won't get rescued.

would be curious to here your thoughts as well as any other met (baro, Ocean, etc) for here.

I'm too lazy and tired to do a forecast discussion for my blog right now so going to get up at 8am and hopefully knock one out.

I'm still liking the COU-UIN-PIA-IKK line for 20" or more. I would say close to 17" for you right now, which isn't too shabby either.

This has updated - for those interested

http://www.emc.ncep....nt4km/conus/00/

Typically does a reasonably good job. It's never right on, but it will be good to look at again tomorrow at the 12Z run. Definitely some awesome dynamics setting up for tomorrow evening. No MSLP map on that one, but 2m temps can give a pretty good indication of where it's going with the low (west).

Gonna be a tough decision for the MKE office regarding my area. Right now we are under a blizzard watch, one county to west is winter storm watch. Calling for 4-7 or so here.

I have to believe the gradient will be more than sufficient up there to produce strong winds and reduced visibility. Therefore, I see them hoisting the blizzard warnings for you, honestly. Four or five inches of snow itself may not be impressive, but add in the wind and its effects with dry, powdery snow and it will be a nightmare.

I still think things look pretty good up there, don't see a dry slot ever making it there, enough QPF, some lake enhancement, good dynamics, I mean everything is in place for you guys to make out quite well. Chicago, almost area wide, should be in a zone of 16-19" with a few spots I'd imagine cracking 20" I don't really want to go higher.

Archived