Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 8

Hoosier

lol at DTX. :arrowhead:

Even the Weather Channel is calling for 10-15" JUST on Tuesday night with an ADDITIONAL 4-6" Wednesday. :lmao:

Anyway, I noticed Harry is under a Blizzzard Warning. Congratulaitons and stay safe!!!! :thumbsup:

They did just up your gridded forecast to 10-16" storm total. I believe they will go with Blizzard Warnings shortly.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did just up your gridded forecast to 10-16" storm total. I believe they will go with Blizzard Warnings shortly.

Not exactly.

Apparently the 10-16" amounts are only along the I-69 corridor with amounts decreasing north & south of there. So they must be banking on dry slotting. :axe:

I'm expecting that some areas in the warmer air will see temperatures crash immensely once the front passes. That said. PAH has issued a wind advisory.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH HAS ISSUED A WIND ADVISORY

FOR THE ENTIRE QUAD STATE REGION...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM

THIS AFTERNOON TO 3 PM CST WEDNESDAY.

* TIMING: AN APPROACHING POWERFUL WINTER STORM SYSTEM WILL START

TO INCREASE WIND SPEEDS THIS AFTERNOON. BY EVENING..WINDS MAY BE

GUSTING INTO THE 30 TO 40 MPH RANGE. WIND SPEEDS WILL CONTINUE

TO INCREASE AS THE STORM SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH THE AREA...AND

WINDS WILL PEAK LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* WINDS: STRONG WINDS WILL PEAK IN THE 20 TO 35 MPH RANGE

OVERNIGHT WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH POSSIBLE FROM LATE TONIGHT

THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS: VEHICULAR TRAVEL...ESPECIALLY HIGH PROFILE

VEHICLES...WILL BE IMPACTED BY STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS. GUSTY

WINDS CAN ALSO KNOCK DOWN TREES OR POWER LINES...PARTICULARLY IF

THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN COMPROMISED BY ICING.

* OTHER IMPACTS...THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO FORECAST TUESDAY

AFTERNOON AND EVENING AND ANY STRONG STORM CAN ALSO PRODUCE

GUSTY WINDS. IN ADDITION...VERY COLD AIR WILL ARRIVE AS THE

SYSTEM DEPARTS...AND CONTINUED STRONG WINDS ON THE SYSTEM`S

BACKSIDE...FROM EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH THE DAY ON

WEDNESDAY WILL CREATE WIND CHILLS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS AT TIMES.

IWX changes to blizzard warning

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM EST /NOON CST/ THIS

AFTERNOON TO 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ WEDNESDAY...

...WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORTHERN INDIANA HAS ISSUED A

BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM EST /NOON CST/

THIS AFTERNOON TO 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM

WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* TIMING...AFTER A SHORT LULL IN SNOW THIS MORNING...SNOW WILL

EXPAND IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY THIS AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL

CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...ENDING WEDNESDAY EVENING.

WINDS WILL INCREASE THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH TONIGHT...WITH THE

STRONGEST WINDS EXPECTED OVERNIGHT.

* MAIN IMPACT...SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 18 INCHES ARE

EXPECTED...WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS IN NORTHWEST INDIANA AND

SOUTHWEST LOWER MICHIGAN. SUSTAINED WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH

GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH WILL CREATE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS...WITH ZERO

VISIBILITIES IN BLOWING SNOW AT TIMES AND SIGNIFICANT DRIFTING.

SNOW DRIFTS OF 4 TO 8 FEET WILL BE POSSIBLE IN MANY OPEN AREAS.

* OTHER IMPACTS...TRAVEL WILL BE HIGHLY IMPACTED WITH HEAVY SNOW

AND BLOWING SNOW CREATING VERY DANGEROUS CONDITIONS. HIGHWAY

CREWS WILL LIKELY HAVE A HARD TIME KEEPING UP WITH THE

CONDITIONS...LEADING TO SEVERAL ROAD CLOSURES. UNNECESSARY

TRAVEL SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS. POWER OUTAGES WILL ALSO

BE POSSIBLE DUE TO WET HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS.

Ice damage now being reported in IN:

2:25 AM...A report of a tree and a report of a tree limb down have been received from Hendricks County Emergency Management. There also are a couple reports of utility line(s) down in Amo and Coatsville...also in Hendricks County. These are the first reports we have on file of damage from this storm system.

4:15 AM...Incoming employee reported hearing a tree/tree limb snapping near the office.

From NWS IND

Ice damage now being reported in IN:

2:25 AM...A report of a tree and a report of a tree limb down have been received from Hendricks County Emergency Management. There also are a couple reports of utility line(s) down in Amo and Coatsville...also in Hendricks County. These are the first reports we have on file of damage from this storm system.

4:15 AM...Incoming employee reported hearing a tree/tree limb snapping near the office.

From NWS IND

Would not be shocked if Indy's NWS looses power at some point today. I remember KPAH lost power during the 2009 Ice storm and had other offices do their regions forecasts for about a week. I'll be curious to see how that happens if Indy looses power.

Would not be shocked if Indy's NWS looses power at some point today. I remember KPAH lost power during the 2009 Ice storm and had other offices do their regions forecasts for about a week. I'll be curious to see how that happens if Indy looses power.

By straight line distance, I am about 20 miles north, and about 40 miles east of IND, we got mainly sleet this morning. Only about .1" of ice before the change over. Watching the news right now, Indy metro has significant icing (side note, I and rolling laughing at the news reporter that just broke her ice scraper on air.) Hopefully that will cut down on damage potential compared to here.

KOKC 011022Z 35029G33KT 1/8SM +SN BLSN VV004 M11/M13 A3003 RMK AO2 PK WND 36034/1003 SNINCR 1/3 P0001 RVRNO $

Heavy snow and 1/8 SM vis at Oklahoma City. Not very typical.

It's crazy here man. I think in about one and a half hours it'll start getting light enough to take pics and video again. Snowfall measurements are going to be impossible...the last time I went outside was about an hour ago and there was anywhere from 0-6" on the ground depending on where you walked.

It's crazy here man. I think in about one and a half hours it'll start getting light enough to take pics and video again. Snowfall measurements are going to be impossible...the last time I went outside was about an hour ago and there was anywhere from 0-6" on the ground depending on where you walked.

That is insane. I am guessing they closed OU for today?

I just got a request from someone asking how to translate metars. Might as well put it here. If you can't read the raw ones--use this:

"Yeah. Go to this site.

On the right in the text box, insert the 4 letter identifier of the ASOS site.

So KOKC is what I just posted.

Click the button that says "translated" and choose hour many hours you want to retrieve.

http://rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/"

Yeah they closed us at 3:00 p.m. yesterday. :scooter: Apparently they're strongly considering shutting down on Wednesday as well.

Kudos to them for doing the safe thing. University of North Dakota NEVER closed! We had to go to classes in 55 mph blizzards and 0 SM blowing snow. Profs often could not make it into class to teach yet the school would never close.axesmiley.png

Kudos to them for doing the safe thing. University of North Dakota NEVER closed! We had to go to classes in 55 mph blizzards and 0 SM blowing snow. Profs often could not make it into class to teach yet the school would never close.axesmiley.png

That's terrible haha. Now, while I fully agree with closing OU today, tomorrow, and possibly Thursday and Friday depending on how bad it ends up being around here...they also closed us 2 weeks ago for 0.5" of snow. :lmao: Not that I wasn't happy about it, but still...

Archived