Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 8

Hoosier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too much to catchup on, what's the current thinking, everything on track? The radar is beautiful.

Still deeper and inside the NCEP tracks. I personally believe RGEM has the best idea. Some of the high res WRF runs too. Looks to occlude and stall with the mother of all deformation bands ever. As csnavywx said last night--it is going to be pure weather insanity.

Still deeper and inside the NCEP tracks. I personally believe RGEM has the best idea. Some of the high res WRF runs too. Looks to occlude and stall with the mother of all deformation bands ever. As csnavywx said last night--it is going to be pure weather insanity.

I'm officially bumping my 21" call to 23.1"

Going for it.

EDIT: light lake snow starting.

I'm officially bumping my 21" call to 23.1"

Going for it.

EDIT: light lake snow starting.

High res WRF, NAM, NMM/ARW all take the beast a tick farther N and stall it longer and more intense. Intensity of the cyclone dictates how far the deformation band is situated from the cyclone--hence why the higher res guidance is farther N. I think Chicago has a serious shot for the record.

This is true mid-latitude weather at its craziest. What an extratropical cyclone--and a wicked satellite signature and it is barely getting going. This will be more impressive looking than octobomb. If anyone forgot--here is a short satellite animation I compiled of Octobomb. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zsLFT4WQYN0

post-999-0-40095800-1296562159.jpg

High res WRF, NAM, NMM/ARW all take the beast a tick farther N and stall it longer and more intense. Intensity of the cyclone dictates how far the deformation band is situated from the cyclone--hence why the higher res guidance is farther N. I think Chicago has a serious shot for the record.

sure is looking that way, thanks.

I was having a long talk with my dad yesterday, the man who passed on weenie disease. Anyways reminiscing back to the current record holder, he seemed to play the winds with it down, saying they didn't get cranking really until a bunch had already fallen. From the conditions here now, it looks like they'll be ripping from the get go this time around. Anectdotal, but it the winds with all this snow should really be something.

I'm also impressed by the lake machine returns in wisconsin and shifting south, considering it's early Feb, that's a substantial contribution and the fetch hasn't even reached it's most favorable.

sure is looking that way, thanks.

I was having a long talk with my dad yesterday, the man who passed on weenie disease. Anyways reminiscing back to the current record holder, he seemed to play the winds with it down, saying they didn't get cranking really until a bunch had already fallen. From the conditions here now, it looks like they'll be ripping from the get go this time around. Anectdotal, but it the winds with all this snow should really be something.

I'm also impressed by the lake machine returns in wisconsin and shifting south, considering it's early Feb, that's a substantial contribution and the fetch hasn't even reached it's most favorable.

Your local weather office sounds like they are in awe more than anything. The mention of both upright/slanted convection is a good one. This will have Noreaster characteristics with the thunderstorms embedded in the defo band.

GORGEOUS/CLASSIC MID LATITUDE CYCLONE IS DEVELOPING OVER THESOUTHERN PLAINS THIS MORNING...WITH BLOSSOMING (PARDON THE PUN)BAROCLINIC LEAF ON SATELLITE IMAGERY. RAPIDLY EXPANDING WARMCONVEYOR BELT WITH REGIONAL WSR-88D MOSAIC SHOWING LARGE AREA OFMODERATE TO HEAVY PRECIPITATION WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMSSPREADING FROM OKLAHOMA AND ARKANSAS INTO SOUTHERN MISSOURI EARLYTHIS MORNING. AS CYCLONE CONTINUES TO LIFT NORTHEASTWARD OUT OFTHE SOUTHERN PLAINS TODAY LOOK FOR CONTINUED EXPANSION OF THEMODERATE TO HEAVY PRECIPITATION WITH THE WARM CONVEYOR BELT TOBEGIN SPREADING INTO SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE CWA BY AS EARLY ASLATE MORNING...AND UP TO THE WISCONSIN BORDER BY MID AFTERNOON.GIVEN THE EXPECTED EARLIER ARRIVAL TIMES OF THE SNOWFALL...HAVEADJUSTED THE START TIME OF THE BLIZZARD WARNING TO 11 AM SOUTHERNCOUNTIES TO BETTER COINCIDE WITH THE EXPECTED DETERIORATINGCONDITIONS.PART ONE (ASSUMING THE PIDDLY SNOW WE SAW OVERNIGHT WAS PART ZERO)OF THE STORM SHOULD BE LARGELY DRIVEN BY INTENSE WARM AIRADVECTION/ISENTROPIC ASCENT. SNOWFALL WILL LIKELY BECOME HEAVY ATTIMES WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL EXPECTED TO HAVE ACCUMULATEDALREADY BY MID EVENING. CERTAINLY POSSIBLE THAT WE COULD SEE A BITOF A WANING IN THE INTENSITY OF THE SNOWFALL FOR A TIME THISEVENING BEFORE RAMPING BACK UP BIG TIME LATE EVENING/OVERNIGHTWHEN PART TWO STARTS.PART TWO OF THE STORM WILL BE WITH INTENSIFYING TROWAL/DEFORMATIONZONE TONIGHT. UPWARD VERTICAL VELOCITIES ARE FORECAST TO BE ALMOSTOFF THE CHARTS TONIGHT AS UPPER TROUGH CLOSES OFF INTO ANEGATIVELY TILTED CLOSED/COMPACT MID LEVEL LOW AS IT LIFTSNORTHEAST TOWARD SOUTHERN LAKE MICHIGAN BY EARLY WEDNESDAYMORNING. ALL INDICATIONS ARE THAT VERY INTENSE SNOWFALL WILLDEVELOP WITHIN THE DEFORMATION BAND WITH TREMENDOUSLY STRONG UPPERLEVEL DIFFLUENCE AND DIVERGENCE AHEAD OF THE DEEPENING CYCLONE.FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST THAT VERY STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE(NEARING 8C/KM) ASSOCIATED WITH THE VERY COLD TEMPS ALOFT WILLPROVIDE FOR SUFFICIENT INSTABILITY FOR EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS TODEVELOP WITHIN THE TROWAL...LEADING TO LOCALLY ENHANCED SNOWFALLTOTALS. IN FACT...SEVERAL MODELS SUGGEST THAT MUCAPES OF 100-200J/KG WILL DEVELOP WHICH MEANS WE COULD ACTUALLY SEE UPRIGHTCONVECTION DEVELOP.

One of our local tv mets have lowered snow totals for DVN Quad City IA/IL area by a couple inches. I can't see where anything has changed to warrant reducing amounts.

Not sure. I haven't seen anything to indicate lower amounts. High-res WRF, Euro, and long-range RUC/HRRR peg us pretty good this evening. 12-18" looks pretty good.:snowman:

hopefully we can pop some severe thunderstorm warnings. :weenie:

LOL. Are we going to need snornado spotters? This is a monster! Still quite a spread in forecasts. Not that are very accurate but TWC says 2 feet plus for chicago and 18-24 for detroit. Accuwweather has a 12-18 strip from chicago through detroit. If these hi res models are correct I would say less amounts further east.

LOL. Are we going to need snornado spotters? This is a monster! Still quite a spread in forecasts. Not that are very accurate but TWC says 2 feet plus for chicago and 18-24 for detroit. Accuwweather has a 12-18 strip from chicago through detroit. If these hi res models are correct I would say less amounts further east.

I've found Accuweather to be the least accurate in forecast amounts. This sounds like a "safe" downgrade to what the data indicates.

Archived