• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC CWA Feb 1-2 Storm Discussion

Rib

going to be interesting for us J. to see how this plays out.

Yes, we tend to bust here with ice events on the plus side (if you like ice) especially over the last several years. Our area is one of the coldest spots on the island consistently it seems. I'm encouraged by the low dewpoints.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we tend to bust here with ice events on the plus side (if you like ice) especially over the last several years. Our area is one of the coldest spots on the island consistently it seems. I'm encouraged by the low dewpoints.

We have NOTHING to complain about this winter Lol. I think we stay snow for longer than expected and than transition to sleet/freezing rain for another longer than expected period of time. My gut feeling is it's going to be a horror show Wednesday morning....

Yeah but in EWR for instance, 18z gfs is 0.23" snow tonight changing to 0.25" freezing rain by 1PM tmrw. The warm layer is no greater than 1-2ºC, but it is deep.. Then we get a break..Then 0.33" freezing rain tmrw night changing to rain tmrw morning (almost 0.5" rain).

I wouldnt be surprised if the 0.25" freezing rain tmrw morning is actually sleet, but even then, that doesnt amount to 4-8

I agree... I don't see 6+ until one goes north of about a Middletown, NY to Middletown, Ct. line

I believe temps might spike at some point into the low to mid 30's but no upper 40's rainstorm with snow eating fog..mainly frozen and when all is said and done 48 hours from now it will (at least here on LI) look as it does now..no appreciable loss to the snowpack followed by a saturday event.

Of course if we don't crack 32 degrees inside of 48 hours even better.

Question to me is how much snow do we realistically add to the existintg snowpack?

For your FYI, Upton went with warnings for all of NJ Except Essex and Hudson Counties and all of SE NY and CT except kept watches from extreme E NJ all the way through E LI

i know this is going to be contrued as me being negative- NO WAY I SEE UP TO 8" of now

Tuesday Night

Freezing rain...snow and sleet likely in the evening...then snow...sleet with a chance of freezing rain after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

1-2"...plus sleet (maybe 1")....a forecast of 2-4" is a safer bet

i know this is going to be contrued as me being negative- NO WAY I SEE UP TO 8" of now

Tuesday Night

Freezing rain...snow and sleet likely in the evening...then snow...sleet with a chance of freezing rain after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

1-2"...plus sleet (maybe 1")....a forecast of 2-4" is a safer bet

I totally agree with you, Upton is overforecasting the snow element of the storm. They have 7" here and I'd be happy to see 4"...seems as if we should be focusing more on the ice. Of course, much will depend on how strong the push of CAA is behind the overrunning wave...

Point and click for Manhattan, very bullish on accumulations...

http://forecast.weat...198&lon=-73.993

Tonight...Cloudy. Snow likely after midnight. Snow accumulation around an inch. Lows in the lower 20s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Tuesday...Snow and sleet in the morning...then freezing rain... Sleet and snow in the afternoon. Additional snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Tuesday Night...Freezing rain...snow and sleet likely in the evening...then snow...sleet with a chance of freezing rain after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Wednesday...Freezing rain...sleet and rain in the morning...then rain likely in the afternoon. Little or no additional sleet accumulation. Highs in the mid 30s. East winds 10 to 15 mph... Becoming northeast in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Wednesday Night...Mostly cloudy. Snow...freezing rain and rain likely in the evening...then a chance of light snow after midnight. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows in the mid 20s. Northwest winds around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

aaah the point and click is great....now im in 3-5...that makes more sense than 4-8"

thanks

Guest Patrick

I can understand why you are saying that. One does have to wonder why such a generally conservative office is going with such high snowfall amounts. Perhaps they threw their hands in there air when the guidance began diverging today, NAM errors and all, and are relying more heavily on current SLP and analogs. Keep in mind also, the already stellar group at OKX collaborated with surrounding offices, including the legendary Walt Drag.

When you add that to some very bullish long-time mets on the *threat* for what may transpire, it shouldn't be all that surprising that they went higher. Speaking of which, moisture field is beginning to pop while I ramble:

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixedcomposite.asp?region=b5&size=2x&type=loop

I totally agree with you, Upton is overforecasting the snow element of the storm. They have 7" here and I'd be happy to see 4"...seems as if we should be focusing more on the ice. Of course, much will depend on how strong the push of CAA is behind the overrunning wave...

I can understand why you are saying that. One does have to wonder why such a generally conservative office is going with such high snowfall amounts. Perhaps they threw their hands in there air when the guidance began diverging today, NAM errors and all, and are relying more heavily on current SLP and analogs. Keep in mind also, the already stellar group at OKX collaborated with surrounding offices, including the legendary Walt Drag.

When you add that to some very bullish long-time mets on the *threat* for what may transpire, it shouldn't be all that surprising that they went higher. Speaking of which, moisture field is beginning to pop while I ramble:

http://www.wundergro...ze=2x&type=loop

those are the same guys who had almost all areas in the CWA at 4-8" of snow last week? I saw that total in 2 hours. People are human and are prone to making mistakes....

With that said- with the point and click forecast I was actually under 3-5"...better but i still think too high....NYC could see 5" JFK will see 2' (if they are lucky)

http://www.wundergro...ze=2x&type=loop

The radar does look pretty good over the Midwest, so perhaps we'll see a good thump from tonight's wave. I hadn't realized how fast the overrunning precip is filling in over IN.

OKX does have the support of other offices in terms of being pretty bullish on this two-wave storm, so we'll see what transpires. Certainly going to be interesting.

21.5/3 FAIR

The radar does look pretty good over the Midwest, so perhaps we'll see a good thump from tonight's wave. I hadn't realized how fast the overrunning precip is filling in over IN.

OKX does have the support of other offices in terms of being pretty bullish on this two-wave storm, so we'll see what transpires. Certainly going to be interesting.

21.5/3 FAIR

one thing abt the radar in the midwest....I dont know the physics, but there is something- once it hits the mountains and downslopes the precip dries out in this area....it will look vastly different at this latitude than lets say by Middletown, Poughkeepsie, Albany, Western Mass, ORH and Boston...

How do you know they are overforecasting when the event hasn't even occured yet? You also realize they are experienced, professional meteorologists as well, right?

How do you know they are overforecasting when the event hasn't even occured yet? You also realize they are experienced, professional meteorologists as well, right?

Ah, one of these posts. I think we are all aware of the qualifications of the NWS just as much as we are aware of the qualifications of many public officials. We are still allowed to critique them.

slightly off topic but while we bicker over 1 or 2 inches here or there......this could be chicago's biggest snowstorm since 1999, 1979 before that, and could be #1 of all time if it breaks right for them.

Biggest Snowstorms in Chicago and Rockford

The following are the 10 ten greatest snowfall events in the Chicago and Rockford area.

Chicago

Since snow records began in 1886 in Chicago, there have been 41 winter storms that produced 10 inches or more of snow. A 10 inch snow occurs about once every 3 years. A 15 inch snow occurs only once about every 19 years. The closest back to back 10 inch snows were March 25-26 and April 1-2, 1970 (6 days apart). The longest period of time without a 10 inch snow or greater was February 12, 1981 to January 1, 1999 (almost 18 years). The earliest 10 inch snow was November 25-26, 1895 and the latest 10 inch snow was April 1-2, 1970. The most recent 10 inch snow was January 21-23, 2005.

Chicago's 10 biggest Snowstorms:

1. 23.0 inches Jan 26-27, 1967
  2. 21.6 inches Jan 1-3, 1999
  3. 19.2 inches Mar 25-26, 1930
  4. 18.8 inches Jan 13-14, 1979
  5. 16.2 inches Mar 7-8, 1931
  6. 15.0 inches Dec 17-20, 1929
  7. 14.9 inches Jan 30, 1939
  8. 14.9 inches Jan 6-7, 1918
  9. 14.3 inches Mar 25-26, 1970
  10. 14.0 inches Jan 18-20, 1886

Rockford

There have been 21 10-inch snows in Rockford’s history. The closest back-to-back 10-inch snows were January 14 – 15 and January 17 – 19 1943 (2 days). Therefore, it’s no wonder than the 1942 – 1943 season is ranked second for the most snowfall, right after the blizzard season of 1978 – 1979 with an amazing 74.5 inches of snow recorded!

Rockford’s Ten Biggest Snowstorms

1. 16.3 inches on January 6 - 7, 1918
  2. 16.0 inches on March 30 – 31, 1926
  3. 15.0 inches on March 21 – 22, 1932
  4. 13.8 inches on March 1 – 2, 1948
  5. 12.9 inches on December 11 – 13, 1909
  6. 12.5 inches on February 10 – 11, 1944
  7. 12.3 inches on January 11 – 14, 1979
  8. 12.0 inches on January 17 – 19, 1943
  9. 11.5 inches on January 14 – 15, 1943
  10. 11.4 inches on December 14 – 16, 1987 and 11.4 inches on February 9 – 10, 1960

I don't know, it's just my opinion that it'll be hard to eek out 7" here on a SW flow event with warm mid-level temps creeping northward rather quickly. I'm not doubting that we'll get several inches of snow followed by significant icing, but some of the models like the 18z NAM show very little in the way of pure snow, certainly not the amounts forecasted by Upton; most of the storm is contaminated with sleet and freezing rain. Also, SW flow events tend to have more warmth in the mid-levels than forecasted; even in the epic 2/14/07 storm, with a ridiculously cold boundary layer, the sleet line made it all the way to Rutland, VT.

One thing we do have going for us is the CAA behind the first wave which the models have been latching onto. I doubt we'll see the totals from OKX verify but this would be the key to getting the second wave of the storm to start as a thump of heavy snow. It's definitely a nowcast situation.

From experience very rarely do the NWS forecast snow totals bust too low. As has been the case almost all season, they have ended up being too low and have increased them as the event was upon us. Did you ever stop and think that with all the experience they have in those offices and with far more data than we have that perhaps they think the models are not forecasting the event properly? I can gurantee you, they didn't settle on those numbers lightly. Don't call it a bust when a single flake has not fallen yet :gun_bandana:

I don't know, it's just my opinion that it'll be hard to eek out 7" here on a SW flow event with warm mid-level temps creeping northward rather quickly. I'm not doubting that we'll get several inches of snow followed by significant icing, but some of the models like the 18z NAM show very little in the way of pure snow, certainly not the amounts forecasted by Upton; most of the storm is contaminated with sleet and freezing rain. Also, SW flow events tend to have more warmth in the mid-levels than forecasted; even in the epic 2/14/07 storm, with a ridiculously cold boundary layer, the sleet line made it all the way to Rutland, VT.

One thing we do have going for us is the CAA behind the first wave which the models have been latching onto. I doubt we'll see the totals from OKX verify but this would be the key to getting the second wave of the storm to start as a thump of heavy snow. It's definitely a nowcast situation.

Yeah, I think that's it right there that gives us a pretty good shot at verifying. I'm actually up in Putnam where they are calling for 7-12...fingers crossed!

slightly off topic but while we bicker over 1 or 2 inches here or there......this could be chicago's biggest snowstorm since 1999, 1979 before that, and could be #1 of all time if it breaks right for them.

in the last 10 years in central NJ, we've had 9 storms that would be on the chicago's all-time top 10 list.

Perhaps...if the NAM verifies (0z run will be key). But the 18z GFS had around 8" here, so the solution is not all that impossible to have happen

Archived