Newest Member
    joxey
NYC CWA Feb 1-2 Storm Discussion

Rib

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goose- the 1/7/94 storm is it...

I was in college and was between sessions...which explains why i was home during the day...i remember it was a friday.

just peeked at the ewall historical maps and the h5 maps kinda have some similarities

whatever way you slice it - this has the potential of being a very dangerous storm in NYC metro - just analyse the 18Z GFS data from Newark NJ

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KEWR

a few inches of snow - then a quater inch of ice then 3/4 inch rain then a flash freeze overnight into Thursday morning - NOT GOOD - also the 1 - 2 feet of snow already on the ground complicates the situation even more - clogged covered storm drains and roofs covered with heavy snow

All in all a very messy storm, and if the storm trends colder and more south and east, then more ice will be at hand for the city.. but snow-ice-rain is still messy.

agree, even normal people who dont like snow rather have all snow with this one.. Wet snow then ice then rain would make the 2 foot snowpack extremely heavy which will cause major major problems.

agree, even normal people who dont like snow rather have all snow with this one.. Wet snow then ice then rain would make the 2 foot snowpack extremely heavy which will cause major major problems.

If the NAM is running right, then we might not have to worry about any rain.... Because the NAM puts 12+ all over the place, which would quite nuts.

If the NAM is running right, then we might not have to worry about any rain.... Because the NAM puts 12+ all over the place, which would quite nuts.

yeah if it holds for a few more runs with colder temps and weaker low trends, we may be looking at a 3 ft snow pack? :devilsmiley:

i wouldnt use the euro for this storm all that much, its been too warm with basically everystorm.

yeah if it holds for a few more runs with colder temps and weaker low trends, we may be looking at a 3 ft snow pack? :devilsmiley:

i wouldnt use the euro for this storm all that much, its been too warm with basically everystorm.

I cannot even comprehend what a 35" snowpack would look like here.... :blink:

But tonight and tomorrow will certainly determine if the NAM is on crack or has something. But it made a significant colder trend.

IF that happened it would be 12 inches of heavy very wet snow - just as bad as the snow - ice - heavy rain - flash freeze the GFS is advertising.....

here is rather interesting article about what is happening leading up to this event

http://www.liveweath...Precip-Type-Map

this explains the colder solutions beginning to come in....

His historical reasoning involving the wave latitude does not account for current patterns, which involves a second wave diving into the southwest, and kicking the first wave NE'ward. I chalk up the jog south to simple cold air intrusion lowing the heights across the 40-45N latitudes

It's a rule of thumb, however there is more to this storm than simply a shortwave crossing the CONUS in a zonal flow.

just doesn't apply to a shortwave in a zonal flow - he wouldn't have written that article as a possible example for this system if it did....

just doesn't apply to a shortwave in a zonal flow - he wouldn't have written that article as a possible example for this system if it did....

I could also write an article that more than "9 times out of 10" the models are not very far off at this range. ;)

Based on this a 10 mile shift to the south gives NYC warning level snows...?:arrowhead:

It's an off hour NAM run, which I never trust. If 0z models come in with a colder solution though overall, it will definitely be a trend to watch for.

Either way, I doubt places more than 25 miles NW of the city see any liquid rain. The cold air sticks there and it takes a lot of warm advection to scour it out, even without snow cover.

I probably see rain for a while, but I just hope we can avoid the temp spike into the 40s. That's the kind of thing that will lead to flooding.

Guest stormchaser

It gives NYC 5-8" as it is...so verbatim its a WSW. 10-20 miles more shift south and NYC gets into the 12" area...

Yea its very close to warning level snows. Let's see what the 00z NAM does now having fresh dataset and the s/w being fully onshore. If it continues to come south then oh boy......

Yea its very close to warning level snows. Let's see what the 00z NAM does now having fresh dataset and the s/w being fully onshore. If it continues to come south then oh boy......

Im not expecting another big snow with this one, but if we can squeeze out 3-6/4-8" with mostly ice/sleet and little plain rain, Id be happy. 18Z GFS & NAM were very close to this scenario at worst.

BTW- State College hoisted WSW for their entire CWA down to the M/D line...

Guest stormchaser

Im not expecting another big snow with this one, but if we can squeeze out 3-6/4-8" with mostly ice/sleet and little plain rain, Id be happy. 18Z GFS & NAM were very close to this scenario at worst.

Yea im just hoping for little plain rain. Lets keep it on the wintry side.

Tremendous area of watches and warnings on the map. Even a blizzard watch for Chicago and would be in their top 5 of all time with 1 to 2 feet forecasted. Tomorrow I think more than half the country will be blue, pink or purple

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

835 PM EST SUN JAN 30 2011

...A LARGE WINTER STORM IS FORECAST TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY FOR PORTIONS

OF THE NORTHEAST USA...

.SNOW TUESDAY MORNING WILL TURN TO RAIN...SLEET AND FREEZING DRIZZLE

SOMETIME TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND THEN RESUME AS HEAVY RAIN OR FREEZING

RAIN EARLY WEDNESDAY BEFORE TAPERING OFF LATE WEDNESDAY.

NJZ001-007>010-012-015-PAZ054-055-060>062-068-069-310945-

/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0004.110201T0800Z-110202T2200Z/

SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-MERCER-CARBON-

MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-NORTHAMPTON-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...

FLEMINGTON...SOMERVILLE...NEW BRUNSWICK...TRENTON...JIM THORPE...

STROUDSBURG...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...EASTON...

NORRISTOWN...DOYLESTOWN

835 PM EST SUN JAN 30 2011

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* GEOGRAPHICAL COVERAGE: EAST CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA

AS WELL AS MUCH OF NORTHERN NEW JERSEY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE: SNOW TUESDAY MORNING CHANGES TO SLEET OR

FREEZING DRIZZLE DURING THE AFTERNOON OR EVENING. PERIODS OF

HEAVY SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN ARE EXPECTED LATE TUESDAY NIGHT

INTO WEDNESDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: 2 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET TUESDAY. GLAZE

MAY ACCUMULATE FROM ONE QUARTER TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH.

* TIMING: SNOW BEGINS BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 4 AM TUESDAY. THE

CHANGE TO SLEET OR FREEZING DRIZZLE SHOULD OCCUR BETWEEN NOON

AND 6 PM TUESDAY.

* IMPACTS: THE TUESDAY MORNING COMMUTE WILL LIKELY BE HAZARDOUS

WITH AT LEAST SOME SNOW AND TEMPERATURES NEAR 20. THE WEDNESDAY

MORNING COMMUTE IS ALSO LIKELY TO BE HAZARDOUS DUE TO ICE AND

THE WEDNESDAY EVENING COMMUTE MAY STILL BE HAZARDOUS FOR ALL

UNTREATED PAVEMENTS. IF GLAZE REACHES OR EXCEEDS ONE HALF

INCH...POWER OUTAGES MAY OCCUR. ALSO...THE WATER EQUIVALENT

PRECIPITATION FOR THIS STORM MAY EXCEED ONE INCH AND THIS ADDED

TO SNOW LOADS ON SOME ROOFS AND ATTEMPTING TO RUN OFF INTO ICE

ALREADY ICE CLOGGED ROOF GUTTERS MAY CONTRIBUTE TO STRUCTURE LEAKS.

* CONFIDENCE: ABOVE AVERAGE ON BOTH SNOW AND GLAZE OCCURRING BUT

TOP END AMOUNTS OF 6 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET AND THREE

QUARTERS OF AN INCH OF GLAZE ARE BELOW AVERAGE CONFIDENCE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT

SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

$$

DRAG

Archived