12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC CWA Feb 1-2 Storm Discussion

Rib

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why was my post deleted? Because I don't like ice events? I love snow but this isn't a snowstorm and we all know that. I think if people had the option to choose between rain and freezing rain, they would pick mid 30s and rain.

The high pressure that rebuilds in SE Canada is concerning especially if the primary stays just to our south because we would hold onto NE winds and temperatures would struggle to hit freezing. The timing would also favor major ice issues because it would fall at night so I'm really hoping the models trend warmer because an ice storm is no fun.

I think a combination of the two will definitely cause issues..there will certainly be a period of IP/ZR that is not in question..but this goes over to plain rain faster than most people think in the city...that I am almost sure of, as well.

so you're going against climo wrt to ice storms? It is well known by many, including yourself because you've said it, that we usually get less snow and more ice in these situations with a tendency for low level cold to remain in place longer while mid level warming is more impressive than the guidance suggests.

U think that with temps 25-29 from midnight tomorrow thru 7am Wednesday morning and .25"-.40" of precip, ice won't be a major problem early Wednesday?

If it were in middle of day, then no.

But as depicted Wednesday morning early commute will be impossible.

By noonish Wednesday ice threat is way over though as it's raining moderately.

And it's probably still slightly below freezing at 7am...we probably are below freezing for another hour (or two) after that.

1 inch + of rain with temps reaching 40 at least for areas SE of NYC

well areas SE of NYC isn't what you said...you included NYC...even southern areas I'd be surprised if there was any flooding. Out on LI its a diff story but if temps kiss 40 or more than obv you have to worry about snowmelt, but massive enough for flooding, I doubt.

well areas SE of NYC isn't what you said...you included NYC...even southern areas I'd be surprised if there was any flooding. Out on LI its a diff story but if temps kiss 40 or more than obv you have to worry about snowmelt, but massive enough for flooding, I doubt.

this is my point about the whole storm in general at this point. the Tues night wed component is huge because we won't see temps ramping up, even if we go to plain rain by mid morning. the situation is very serious for the area in my opinion

this is my point about the whole storm in general at this point. the Tues night wed component is huge because we won't see temps ramping up, even if we go to plain rain by mid morning. the situation is very serious for the area in my opinion

Morning commute on Wednesday will be very bad. 4am-8am the worst.

.25"-.50" of ice is nothing to sneeze at.

When's the last time we had anywhere close to that?

listen...for now I'll hedge that I'm just an amateur and don't know what I'm talking about, and that people like earthlight (no offense just stating facts) suggests this is no more than a nuisance in the NYC metro area with an earlier changeover than what is expected. However I will not be surprised when this over-performs in terms of ice accretion and people are complaining of power outages and downed tree limbs causing damage. Every single model has a prolonged period of at least modest ZR/IP so maybe I'm not grasping how climo+guidance suggesting a prolonged period of ice does not equal significant ice accumulations....

Have been noticing this lingering energy for a while... would not be surprised if someone in the area gets some light snows on the order of 1-3/2-4 overnight Wed. after the main stuff departs.

ya know....looking at it again at 500, it looks like the energy is actually the northern stream that never really phases with the southern stream...and instead it kinda just digs into the 4 corners. not sure what to make of it....i think this slides to the E and becomes our possible wknd coastal?

listen...for now I'll hedge that I'm just an amateur and don't know what I'm talking about, and that people like earthlight (no offense just stating facts) suggests this is no more than a nuisance in the NYC metro area with an earlier changeover than what is expected. However I will not be surprised when this over-performs in terms of ice accretion and people are complaining of power outages and downed tree limbs causing damage.

yeah, there's a reason why Mt.Holly has winter storm warnings for NYC's southwest burbs- Middlesex, Somerset

Ice events are very rare around here, actually the most ice I've seen was a couple of weeks ago in the morning. I think we had only a tenth or 2 tenths of an ice but it was a huge pain, it looked like a skating rink out there and I had to chip all of that ice from my car.

In most cases that deals with ice threats, we either have more sleet than freezing rain or the temperatures are around 31-33F and the rain was falling during the day and not freezing onto the surface.

Everyone look at this map of the 2m temps for 12z Wednesday according to the 00z NAM. The 0c line looks to be just south of New Brunswick and right through NYC. And this is after 0.25'' to 0.5'' of QPF has fallen (presumably as mainly freezing rain) from 0z to 12z Wednesday. Anyone saying this doesn't show a very icy Wednesday morning commute for this area doesn't know what they are talking about.

00znampmsl10mwinds2mtemps036.gif

Ice events are very rare around here, actually the most ice I've seen was a couple of weeks ago in the morning. I think we had only a tenth or 2 tenths of an ice but it was a huge pain, it looked like a skating rink out there and I had to chip all of that ice from my car.

In most cases that deals with ice threats, we either have more sleet than freezing rain or the temperatures are around 31-33F and the rain was falling during the day and not freezing onto the surface.

and this time we have colder preceding temps as well as a high in a relatively ideal position...

As Jake said before, there is a lot of physical processes that go on with a melting snowflake. Yeah, there is a large warm layer, but while it's actually melting, its temperature does not change, since it is undergoing a phase-change. It's not like it's instantly just going to go to +5C like the warm layer's temperature actually is. It can only commence warming post-melting when it's 100% completely melted. Thus, the rain drops will probably be around 33 degrees, not 37 degrees, and given the amount of surface cold being forecast, there is certainly enough cold to supercool the droplet.

As Jake said before, there is a lot of physical processes that go on with a melting snowflake. Yeah, there is a large warm layer, but while it's actually melting, its temperature does not change, since it is undergoing a phase-change. It's not like it's instantly just going to go to +5C like the warm layer's temperature actually is. It can only commence warming post-melting when it's 100% completely melted. Thus, the rain drops will probably be around 33 degrees, not 37 degrees, and given the amount of surface cold being forecast, there is certainly enough cold to supercool the droplet.

thats the central thesis to my confusion as to why earthlight thinks this is rain with temps below freezing

Everyone look at this map of the 2m temps for 12z Wednesday according to the 00z NAM. The 0c line looks to be just south of New Brunswick and right through NYC. And this is after 0.25'' to 0.5'' of QPF has fallen (presumably as mainly freezing rain) from 0z to 12z Wednesday. Anyone saying this doesn't show a very icy Wednesday morning commute for this area doesn't know what they are talking about.

00znampmsl10mwinds2mtemps036.gif

And looking at the skew-T for our latitude/longitude, we're really only about +1C at the surface at 39 hours, and -1C at the surface at 36 hours. We probably still have another hour of freezing rain after that...we probably go over to plain rain at ~37 hours on the NAM, verbatim.

I think somebody mentioned also that relatively lighter rainfall with the surface below freezing tends to cause more icing than heavier rainfall with a below freezing surface. I mean it's not like the droplets just magically freeze when they hit the surface, unless it's raining with surface temps in the teens or something.

Archived