• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Tuesday/Wed Potential Brand new : )

Guest stormchaser

hr 51 850's and surface over the city......about .20 has fallen frozen..this for the 18z gfs

850 is south of NYC. Even south of LI.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/GemPakTier/MagGemPakImages/gfs/20110130/18/gfs_namer_051_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

At 54, it's on top of NYC:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/GemPakTier/MagGemPakImages/gfs/20110130/18/gfs_namer_054_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

But surface freezing is on south shore of LI

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/GemPakTier/MagGemPakImages/gfs/20110130/18/gfs_namer_054_10m_wnd_precip.gif

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a layman's question regarding this potential event. Would it be accurate to summarize the loose general consensus, not necessarily among mets, on this event over the last 36 hours as follows (with regard to the NYC/Philly area)?

36 hrs ago: Big storm, mostly snow

24 hrs ago: Big storm, maybe mostly rain

15 hrs ago: Forget it, it's all rain, it's so far west we'll get breezy showers is all

8 hrs ago: Not only is this a non event but now it's messed up next weekend's as well

6 hrs ago: Big storm mostly snow

3 hrs ago: Big storm, snow / ice /rain

Just a layman's question regarding this potential event. Would it be accurate to summarize the loose general consensus, not necessarily among mets, on this event over the last 36 hours as follows (with regard to the NYC/Philly area)?

15 hrs ago: Forget it, it's all rain, it's so far west we'll get breezy showers is all

8 hrs ago: Not only is this a non event but now it's messed up next weekend's as well

You forgot the off hour run rafter hanging scenarios :guitar:

I don't think very many people were swayed by the 18z NAM of all things to project an all-snow event. Not saying it isn't going to happen, but there isn't a lot of supporting evidence right now.

Now the freezing line at the surface doesnt get to KHPN.....moving south with each succesive run.

By 0z tonight the SW will be fully on land

Im beginning to think I might experience my first major ice-storm. Being that I live on a school campus it means that I don't have to worry about my property but I bet power outages could be a major concern. The 18z GFS has like 3-6in of snow followed by maybe an inch of sleet and freezing rain up here.

NYC itself only goes above freezing at the surface for about 2-4 hours

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_ten_078l.gif

If the next couple runs suggest this may be a trend developing people in and around NYC will think the apocalypse is coming if this turns into a major ice-storm. The media will have a field day I can't even imagine...

Im beginning to think I might experience my first major ice-storm. Being that I live on a school campus it means that I don't have to worry about my property but I bet power outages could be a major concern. The 18z GFS has like 3-6in of snow followed by maybe an inch of sleet and freezing rain up here.

exactly...this is a colder solution than the previous mixed bag storm and I think we stay below freezing.

either a big ice storm or a big snow storm

Archived