Newest Member
    joxey
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z no big deal

I think the EC tried to do he same thing, but failed at the last minute and it was able to stay colder with the sfc low S of NE. Yeah...it's the 18z GFS and it seems the off-hour runs have been quirky lately so I wouldn't freak out over this run. There's probably a slim chance of something like that happening though...where a piece of the PV partially phases in. We're still a good 3-4 days away.

I think the EC tried to do he same thing, but failed at the last minute and it was able to stay colder with the sfc low S of NE. Yeah...it's the 18z GFS and it seems the off-hour runs have been quirky lately so I wouldn't freak out over this run. There's probably a slim chance of something like that happening though...where a piece of the PV partially phases in. We're still a good 3-4 days away.

yeah, looks like rain for us, but anyone north of MA gets lots of snow

I feel like the appetizer snow is ruining the main event.. warming up temps and such.. this will suck if this is a rain/IP for CNE especially after the last storm... this is not good with seasonal NW trend looming at 48-72 hours out

I feel like the appetizer snow is ruining the main event.. warming up temps and such.. this will suck if this is a rain/IP for CNE especially after the last storm... this is not good with seasonal NW trend looming at 48-72 hours out

Almost every model was colder at 12z. It's one 18z GFS run. Chillax.

You guys happen to see Roger Smith's recent post on the main forum? Not all that far from HPC's thinking.

So far I am seeing the trend expected from earlier comments and continue to believe that heavy snow will develop Feb 2-3 across most of PA, northern half of NJ and all of NY and New England. The frontal zone will be a tight temperature gradient with the arctic front about BWI-ACY and the modified polar front about DCA to Cape May NJ. This would argue for sleet and freezing rain in a narrow east-west band that might reach into the first tier of southern PA counties and across s.c NJ with heavy snow north of that. I would include NYC and LI in the heavy snow band looking at the wall of cold air to the north, the northeast wind flow and the pressure transfer late 2nd from PA/MD border to south of LI. Long way out yet, and expect the models to intensify this storm on a track very slightly south of the current 12z GFS. Looks like this one could generate 3-4 inch per hour snowfall rates with some thunder-snow and totals 20-30 inches not out of the question in parts of central to eastern PA, northern NJ, metro NYC, LI, CT to 15-20 inches se MA (due to shorter duration more than intensity).

Meso-scale banding from Long Island Sound across NYC into northern NJ may be the jackpot for amounts in this storm. If pressure drops much lower than progged, we could see 40-60 mph winds generated at height of the storm, on current models would say 30-45 mph. Would expect frequent thunder-snow reports in the NYC region night of Feb 2-3.

Another area to watch for very heavy snow would be Hamilton-Niagara in southern Ontario as intense cold in strong northeast flow generates heavy lake enhancement of what would otherwise be 3-5 inches towards 15-25 inches At an earlier stage Chicago to Milwaukee could be seeing considerable lake enhancement also, with bitterly cold air mass in place, could increase roughly similar scale to above.. Same effect less potent in northwest OH (due to frozen surfaces of Lake Erie) but this may merely blend into the synoptic scale which will be heavier to south anyway. Saginaw Bay could see the northeast wind lake enhancement spreading into s/c MI for an extra 3-5 inches there. Parts of western NY could pick up some of this lake enhancement too, as winds turn more northerly. Synoptic scale snowfall likely to be about 8-12 inches in SYR-ALB trending down to 3-5 in northern NY.

Should also mention PIT with the potential to see 18-24 inches of snow on the current track.

You guys happen to see Roger Smith's recent post on the main forum? Not all that far from HPC's thinking.

From previous storms in the past 2 storms.. do not listen to anything Roger Smith says..

JMO and I bet other people feel the same way

WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ASHFIELD...CHARLEMONT...COLRAIN...

SHELBURNE

330 PM EST SAT JAN 29 2011

.TUESDAY...SNOW LIKELY. COLD WITH HIGHS AROUND 20. CHANCE OF SNOW

60 PERCENT.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...SNOW LIKELY. LOWS AROUND 10 ABOVE. CHANCE OF

SNOW 70 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY...SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN LIKELY. COLD WITH

HIGHS IN THE LOWER 20S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SNOW LIKELY. LOWS AROUND 10 ABOVE. CHANCE OF

SNOW 60 PERCENT.

Would seem like zr would be mininmal at this point in GC. I'd expect with those highs in the lower 20's, there will be a tendancy for anything that does melt on the way down would refreeze before getting to ground level. Probalby more of a concern further east and south.

Well, dug out 6ft from base of foundation around entire house, also dug 4 paths in front of house and on south side for water to evacuate the yard, and sub pump is attached and ready to go. Hope it does not come down to that, but at least now I am ready. Climo says snow to rain down this way, but this year anything is possible. If I had to guess, primary to Charleston WV with a weak secondary cutting up the canal. GC up to the Greens cash in big, snow to ice for the interior.

From Box's AFD:

SO THE PRESENT FCST THINKING IS THIS...PREV FCST EXPERIENCE AND

CLIMATOLOGICALLY INCLUDED...THE GEM MDL SOLN SEEMS MORE REASONABLE.

FOR THE GOING FCST WILL BLEND THE TRIO OF MDL SOLNS...GEM/ECMWF/GFS...

WITH MORE WEIGHT TOWARDS THE GEM. FROM SUCH THINKING THE PSBL

OUTCOME IS THE FOLLOWING...STRONG ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE BEGINNING TUE

MORN OF WARMER...HIGHER THETAE AIR...WILL LIFT NWD ALONG AND NORTH

OF THE SFC WRM FRNT TUE MORN INTO WED NGT. ONSET MAY BE DELAYED

TUE MORN BY THE COLDER AND DRIER LOW-MID LVL AIR IN ASSOC WITH THE

RETREATING ARCTIC RIDGE. DRIER AIR MAY PREVENT SNOW ALOFT FROM

REACHING THE GROUND. PRECIP SHOULD BEGIN AS SNOW TRANSITIONING TO

A WINTRY MIX OF SLEET...SNOW...AND FREEZING RAIN BETWEEN WED MORN

INTO MIDDAY FOR INTERIOR LOCALES IN THE COASTAL PLAIN...MORE OR

LESS RAIN FOR COASTAL COMMUNITIES ALONG THE SRN NEW ENGLAND

SHORELINE...CAPE AND ISLANDS...CHANGING BACK OVER TO ALL SNOW INTO

WED NGT. BEST DYNAMIC MID-LVL FORCING IN ASSOC WITH PASSING SFC

LOW LOOKS PREVALENT AROUND THE WED NGT TIMEFRAME...SO THIS COULD

BE THE TIMEFRAME OF HEAVIEST SNOWS TO THE NW OF THE SFC LOW.

BUT AGAIN ATTENTION IS DESERVED TO THE LIKELIHOOD THAT GUIDANCE AND

FCSTS WILL CHANGE IN ADVANCE OF THE STORM. FEEL A MEDIUM LVL OF

CONFIDENCE IN GOING TRENDS...YET LOW CONFIDENCE WITH REGARDS TO

TIMING AND PLACEMENT OF SFC FEATURES SUCH AS PRECIP TYPE AND

TRANSITIONS. REFER TO THE SUBSTANTIAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE GFS

AND GEM.

TOWARDS THE END OF THE PD...ANOTHER ARCTIC HIGH PRESSES INTO THE

FCST RGN IN WAKE OF THE DEPARTING STORM. ANOTHER ROUND OF BELOW

Interesting, weighting cold.

Guess this somewhat answers my question regarding anomalous cold situations and the GEM.

Archived