Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter Storm FAIL next week

Ji

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gfs has been insistent for several runs on more than a few inches then big ice for a lot of areas then single digit temps a few days later....looks good on paper

the euro is a little bothersome but it wouldnt be surprising if it's overdoing the interior idea. it's tended to pull things north this yr that dont end up as amplified. either way it's probably too warm. i dunno.. it's still an ugly pattern for any confidence in anything.. but the frontrunning moisture does seem real at this pt.

the euro is a little bothersome but it wouldnt be surprising if it's overdoing the interior idea. it's tended to pull things north this yr that dont end up as amplified. either way it's probably too warm. i dunno.. it's still an ugly pattern for any confidence in anything.. but the frontrunning moisture does seem real at this pt.

GFS has been consistent for the most part on the last several runs...euro was cutter then OTS then storm then cutter right?

nevermind

I forgot you needed a passport to get snow south of 40N :axe:

http://www.nco.ncep....am_pcp_024l.gif

it's definitely not going to be much but n/ne md could get a dusting+ .. potentially down toward us but i'd think not. it's not that tight a vort and some energy shoots down in this direction in front of it. 700 maps that look like the nam have generally produced at least a flizzard somewhere.

with all that High pressure in Canada, its a darn shame the 850-0 line doesn't want to meander too far past Jeb's house

maybe that will change with time and the models will go with the colder solution

That has happened for that last few storms so let's hang on to that until it breaks

That has happened for that last few storms so let's hang on to that until it breaks

I agree and will be both surprised and (naturally) disappointed if it doesn't trend colder

heck, even HPC seems to be leaning that way, and they're not weenies like us...well, they're not like us at least

I think that's a lock.. should be a nice long duration event of snow and ice.. In some ways I like that more over a short 6 hour thump like the other day, even if less accumulates..

yeah it could be. being west helps. im not a fan of marginal at any range. ;) i do think the models have a colder look in this range than they did before jan 11 and it ended up colder than they showed. we'll see. hopefully the euro drops what it was showing at 12z and makes it easier.

I agree and will be both surprised and (naturally) disappointed if it doesn't trend colder

heck, even HPC seems to be leaning that way, and they're not weenies like us...well, they're not like us at least

It seems that the SREFs are increasing the strength of the high pressure... last night's 21z SREFs had a 1052 H... tonight its a 1056 H

yeah it could be. being west helps. im not a fan of marginal at any range. ;) i do think the models have a colder look in this range than they did before jan 11 and it ended up colder than they showed. we'll see. hopefully the euro drops what it was showing at 12z and makes it easier.

They always trend colder in these scenarios.. yeoman guarantee!

I can't see major differences synoptically between today's Euro and today's runs of the GFS,. But the EC had no CAD whatsoever with a 1030+mb high in Quebec, which seems whack. GFS does show it which accounts for the different details the models spit out. Interested to see later if the ECMWF picks up on that.

Just a quick question, can someone explain how this wv image translates to the projected path of the L, because I don't see where they match up at all. Obviously i'm missing something

I'm a noob but will hazard a guess for you ... look at this map http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/images/nam_500_000m.gif

Not sure why I feel this way but this feels like a legitimate Ice storm coming....I'm hoping sleet but it just feels like something bigger. If we get a solid snow prior I wonder if that mutes the ice effects?

I had three inches of snow 2/13/07 before the sleet storm, and it definitely diminished the ice impact.

Not sure why I feel this way but this feels like a legitimate Ice storm coming....I'm hoping sleet but it just feels like something bigger. If we get a solid snow prior I wonder if that mutes the ice effects?

Right now, I think that is the bigger threat but it's still way out there in a tough to forecast pattern.

I have a sick mind about these things

there's something exhilarating about fighting the snow/sleet/zr line, the way it waxes and wanes, before an inevitable changeover

I guess its a natural defense mechanism against the disappointment of the changeover

or maybe its just the gambler in me :pimp:

Archived