Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Grade the past decade of winters

BullCityWx

45 members have voted

1. 1. Rank the last decade of winters in NC(99/00-09/10)

2. 2. Rank the last decade of winters in SC/GA/AL

3. 3. Rank the last decade of winters in TN

Have to go with a B for western Randolph county. 15 IMBY to 20 eastern Randolph County 2000, Historic Crippling Ice Storm for the ages 2002. Also another 13 incher late February a couple years ago. When the snow was all but non existent some of those horrible winters, we atleast got in on what action their was to be had, just werent sitting in the sweet spot if you will. The great thing about my area is your always in the game when storms are to far south and east for say the mtns,east TN and always in the game on the CAD events. But you have to take the good with the bad because you'll be front row spectator to the county to your west or east getting plastered, while 15-40 miles away your dealing with nothing or slop, case in point last December storm. I've had 2 consective maybe 3(cant recall w/o going back and looking) of having seasonal average or above snowfall. Last year ended up almost 200% above normal, which is right at 8.5 inches.

The place that got screwed the most the past decade with the exception of last year, has to be the northern foothills(Big Frosty-Pilot).

Have to go with a B for western Randolph county. 15 IMBY to 20 eastern Randolph County 2000, Historic Crippling Ice Storm for the ages 2002. Also another 13 incher late February a couple years ago. When the snow was all but non existent some of those horrible winters, we atleast got in on what action their was to be had, just werent sitting in the sweet spot if you will. The great thing about my area is your always in the game when storms are to far south and east for say the mtns,east TN and always in the game on the CAD events. But you have to take the good with the bad because you'll be front row spectator to the county to your west or east getting plastered, while 15-40 miles away your dealing with nothing or slop, case in point last December storm. I've had 2 consective maybe 3(cant recall w/o going back and looking) of having seasonal average or above snowfall. Last year ended up almost 200% above normal, which is right at 8.5 inches.

The place that got screwed the most the past decade with the exception of last year, has to be the northern foothills(Big Frosty-Pilot).

You hit the nail on the head with this statement !!! If not for last year I couldn't even give it a D That was my grade :thumbsdown:

I'd say, relative to what the 30 year averages are (which remember, shifts a good bit the further south you are), then the Upstate of SC, especially lower/western sections, and the central Mountains of NC , and probably much of Tennesee , has been shafted. The southern Apps between Chattanooga to Asheville have probably missed out a lot of their climatic averages. Last year was a huge exception. For my part of NC, I've missed out on some biggies that CLT and RDU have had, I got part of the Feb 04 storm though, but theres probably 5 or 6 instances that Charlotte and the piedmont have had a lot more than here. Very unusual storm amounts and situations though. I'd give my area a "C" this decade...could have been better, but could have been worse. I'd give an "F" to the Asheville and Greenville/Spartanburg region, C or B for northern Georgia, and a D for Tennessee.

NE TN scored big last winter, saving a decade. So, you are only as good as your last game...a C. If I lived in Knoxville, I'd be screaming for an F. I'll also rank my decades.

1970s #1 (didn't know what I had till it was gone)

1980s #2 (a close second, set the all-time record low in '85)

2000s #3 (cooled as the decade progressed, exceptionally good snow in December of '09)

1990s #4 ('95-'96 was incredible, '93 superstorm unspeakable, the rest of the winter seasons were suspect)

2010s TBD

NE TN scored big last winter, saving a decade. So, you are only as good as your last game...a C. If I lived in Knoxville, I'd be screaming for an F. I'll also rank my decades.

1970s #1 (didn't know what I had till it was gone)

1980s #2 (a close second, set the all-time record low in '85)

2000s #3 (cooled as the decade progressed, exceptionally good snow in December of '09)

1990s #4 ('95-'96 was incredible, '93 superstorm unspeakable, the rest of the winter seasons were suspect)

2010s TBD

Everything about the 90's were great including the winters :wub:

For Charlotte, I give a C. I'm sure there is a "what have you done for me lately" bias in this, as the latter half of the decade has been mostly a bust. The first half was quite good, especially the February 2004 foot-plus.

True, lately not much...but check out the beginning of the decade, starting with January 2000:

2000 9"

2001 3"

2002 4"

2003 10"

2004 15"

2005 1"

2006 Tr

2007 1"

2008 1"

2009 4"

2010 6"

which is around 5", rounded..so about par for the course. Most areas just west of there and southwest sure can't say that though. So I'd probably give CLT area a B for the decade, some bad years but enough really good ones. I'd reserve the "A" years for the late 1970's and early 80's. Wish those type years would return.

I gave a C for my part of Tennessee, mainly due to getting dumped on imby last year with over 40 inches of snow.

2007-08-09 were literally the three worst winters of my lifetime, so last years bonanza pretty much saved me from giving the decade an F.

One thing the 2000s lacked was severe cold. We had 10's below zero or colder every decade of my life until the 2000s. I believe -4 is as cold as i recorded in the 2000s.

Archived