• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
End of January/early February storm potential?

Hoosier

Just got home and its good to see a legit storm to track in the future. After looking at hour 144 on the euro, I was assuming a track from texas to chicago would make sense because the storm hadn't intensified yet. But I would assume the high in montana played a role. How did the ensembles look?

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS144.gif

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS168.gif

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPUS192.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DTX

THEN, AFTER ANOTHER

SHALLOW INTRUSION OF ARCTIC AIR SUNDAY, ANOTHER SYSTEM IS EXPECTED

TO BE BREWING TO START NEXT WEEK. AS GOOD AS MODEL AGREEMENT IS TO

START THE WEEKEND, THE 12Z GFS AND ECMWF COULD NOT BE MORE DIFFERENT

FOR MONDAY AND TUESDAY WITH THE LATTER OFFERING A HEADLINE WORTHY

WINTER STORM. THE DIFFERENCES ARE ROOTED IN THE POSITION OF THE LONG

WAVE TROUGH AXIS WHICH IS SHARPER AND LESS PROGRESSIVE IN THE ECMWF

COMPARED TO THE GFS BY 12Z TUESDAY. THE LONG WAVE PATTERN FAVORS THE

ECMWF SOLUTION BUT RECENT HISTORY OF ATLANTIC COAST STORMS FAVORS

THE GFS AND MORE ARCTIC AIR FOR OUR AREA.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?si...&glossary=1

For now--I have to lean against the Euro and CMC mainly because of the aggression that guidance has shown as of late regarding waves plowing through the rather high amplitude Pacific ridge then phasing with the northern stream on the other side. GFS has been less aggressive--and it has panned out thus far. I think a threat is there--but perhaps it may come a tad later than the CMC-Euro show. That has also been a trend as of late--for these storms to come in much slower--and that includes the EC events. This ongoing event on the EC is just another example of things materializing much slower than guidance initially suggested.

Thanks. I hate to say but these kind of tracks have NW trend written all over them. Hopefully theres some sort of high or block to prevent this thing from cutting too much. If the clipper is stronger I think thats better because it would prevent a western GLC and allow for room to breathe with a track through the ohio valley. I dont think the clipper, even if its respectable strenghth wise, will supress this storm.

For now--I have to lean against the Euro and CMC mainly because of the aggression that guidance has shown as of late regarding waves plowing through the rather high amplitude Pacific ridge then phasing with the northern stream on the other side. GFS has been less aggressive--and it has panned out thus far. I think a threat is there--but perhaps it may come a tad later than the CMC-Euro show. That has also been a trend as of late--for these storms to come in much slower--and that includes the EC events. This ongoing event on the EC is just another example of things materializing much slower than guidance initially suggested.

This makes a lot of sense; I just really want to avoid a super suppressed gulf creeper track.

This makes a lot of sense; I just really want to avoid a super suppressed gulf creeper track.

The GFS ensembles pretty much bring in a similar storm threat in the medium range (200+ hours out) that the EC/CMC have around 160 hours out. I think the threat is real--folks may just have to wait a tad more based on the seasonal as well as weekly trends.

To be fair, the 12z Euro sped things up a bit versus the 0z run. At 6z Wednesday 2/2...the 12z Euro has the storm exiting north of Maine, the 0z run at the same time had OH and E IN getting clobbered with a strung out low just southeast of there. Pretty huge difference really.

To be fair, the 12z Euro sped things up a bit versus the 0z run. At 6z Wednesday 2/2...the 12z Euro has the storm exiting north of Maine, the 0z run at the same time had OH and E IN getting clobbered with a strung out low just southeast of there. Pretty huge difference really.

Personally I wouldn't even bother with the deterministic/operational runs at this point except to look at what the potential impact would be. Even the ensembles have to be looked at with a careful eye. If one believed the Euro ensemble 144 hours out this incoming clipper would be a beast. This Pacific driven pattern is challenging.

Personally I wouldn't even bother with the deterministic/operational runs at this point except to look at what the potential impact would be. Even the ensembles have to be looked at with a careful eye. If one believed the Euro ensemble 144 hours out this incoming clipper would be a beast. This Pacific driven pattern is challenging.

I'm pretty sure no one's sweating the finer details right now...op runs or ensembles. And yes, at this point, seeing if there is an actual system to track is all that's really needed. As has been said before, long ways to go with this one.

Just as a reminder of how poor even ensemble means can do--here is an example of what the Euro/Euro ensemble had with the clipper a while back.

post-999-0-19726500-1295991156.gif

IF the euro ensembles are to be believed they have only shifted it south by about 100 miles or so if that. The mean has it tracking just north of Green bay to near the Thumb to near Toronto. This is as of the 12z run. Still a number of them as well that really develop it taking it down to the low 990s/980s.

IF the euro ensembles are to be believed they have only shifted it south by about 100 miles or so if that. The mean has it tracking just north of Green bay to near the Thumb to near Toronto. This is as of the 12z run. Still a number of them as well that really develop it taking it down to the low 990s/980s.

The amplitude is what I was referencing...

Do you have the GFS ensemble from a week out by any chance?

I don't. Only reason I have that ECMWF chart is they have an archive that extends back. That ECMWF chart is actually not even that old--it was from Saturday. I was using it just to show how quickly things can change in these patterns. if I remember correctly--by Saturday--both the GFS and Euro were pretty similar with the clipper threat and ensuing arctic dump--but I think the Euro was even more gung-ho.

18z GFS isn't going to budge. That early November non-event where the GGEM/EURO for several runs where trying to emulate Nov 1950 still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not sure the GFS is that far in left field.

Storm just might be later on the GFS. Not sure yet.

Go to "Model Guidance" then choose "North America". It has all the same plots but in 3 hr chunks and it updates faster.

I never use NCEP website since the graphics stink--but I just did a comparison--and the NCEP experimental site has it out past 180+ hours and NCEP's regular site is still way back in the 120s.

Archived