joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Here comes February 2011

BullCityWx

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted a version of this in the main thread, but it is equally apropos to us and this topic -

HPC's Preliminary Extended Forecast Discussion this morning discusses an upcoming southeast ridge:

THE LONGWAVE PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO GRADUALLY TRANSITION FROM A

MEAN RIDGE OVER THE WEST/TROUGH OVER THE EAST ON DAY 3 TOWARD A

MEAN TROUGH OVER THE ROCKIES/RIDGE OVER THE SOUTHEAST BY DAY 7.

THE MAIN DIFFERENCE WITH THE MEANS INVOLVES THE ORIENTATION AND

STRENGTH OF THE MEAN RIDGE OVER THE SOUTHEAST BY DAY 7...WITH THE

ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN MORE AMPLIFIED AND STRONGER THAN THE

GEFS/NAEFS.

However -

CONFIDENCE BELOW AVERAGE FOR THE ENTIRE PERIOD.

Something else to stir into the February stew, I suppose.

I see the cold but will it lock in? That's quite a +NAO there on the latest run.

I think we're heading for a PNA , but no block or -NAO so what should happen is fronts come through, we get super cold (maybe just mod. cold) and then a quick warmup, then we rinse and repeat. Its going to be luck of timing if a system can get in from the South with enough cold air to be ice or snow, but that would probably be a quick hitter, followed by the arctic front, cold for a couple days, warm up and repeat the process.

The first warm up is later Friday and Saturday in the Southern and eastern parts of the country. Could be an almost balmy Saturday here LOL with the lakes low, enhancing southwest winds at the surface and warmer 850's. Nothing too tropical but it will feel much more like early Spring , after what we've been through. But that won't last.

With the progged +NAO during a time, from what I gather, the Strat. warming is suppose to be influencing, could the models not be seeing this or is the sw affect coming on down the road?

Robert, what's your take on this?

Don't look now. 12Z Euro has amazing massive Arctic outbreak with possible record lows 2/1-3!! Coldest since 2/1996? ATL 850 down to -21C, which ties record coldest 850! Uh oh!!

Probably overdone, but shows what COULD happen.

Larry, what's happened to the GFS cold bias? Seems it's not as prominent lately.

Don't look now. 12Z Euro has amazing massive Arctic outbreak with possible record lows 2/1-4!! Coldest since 2/1996? ATL 850 down to -21C, which ties record coldest 850! Uh oh!!

Probably overdone, but shows what COULD happen.

More regarding the above post. The 2 meter temp., which is often warm biased, is 32 F as of 1 PM on THU 2/3 at FL/GA border

!! Wow!

Wow, that would mean all time record cold here. I calculated myself to be at -11.2F there...wow..

If this were to somehow verify, numerous record lows would be broken. Keep in mind that those are 5,000 foot temp.'s not surface/two meter temp.'s.

If this were to somehow verify, numerous record lows would be broken. Keep in mind that those are 5,000 foot temp.'s not surface/two meter temp.'s.

I understand, but we haven't seen cold like that, well hell, I don't know when the last time we have see cold, that cold. It's not like we live in Minnesota..:arrowhead:

That's impressive for sure. However hasn't the EURO advertised some impressive cold in the long range before? It seems like we've been forecasted to go into the single digits a couple times in the piedmont a few days out, but it never quite gets that cold. Usually the teens.

That's why this needs to be taken with a grain of salt as it represents the worst case scenario. The odds of something like that verifying have to be considered quite low due to it being so extreme as well as being so different from prior runs and it being way out in the 7-10 day period...i.e., largely for entertainment. But it surely is very entertaining.:popcorn:

The euro's 2M temps never drop below freezing anywhere in the foothills or piedmont, FYI

Jeremy,.

You have to be looking at the wrong run. The entire state of NC stays below 32 the entire day of 2/3. Moreover, the 2 meter temp.'s are often warm biased.

Archived