Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Here comes February 2011

BullCityWx

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing is that night temperatures never really fall as it rapidly moves the arctic air mass out.

Although the Euro is the king of models, I've generally not been very impressed with its 2 meter temp.'s. I think that is its weakest link so to speak. I like its 850's, surface pressure, and 500 mb maps much better as far as accuracy is concerned. Then again, it seems as though 2 m temp.'s are a weakness of many models for whatever reason (geographic influences make it more difficult to model??). So, the Euro's 2 meter temp.'s may still be the most accurate at the medium range.

Goes away quick on Friday though

Yes, it does. However, based on many years of model watching, I'm sure you'll agree that that is commonly what occurs. When it moves out, it often warms rapidly at 850 but with a lag at the surface. Actually, KATL's 850's stay colder than -10 C for nearly 48 hours and colder than -14 C for ~39 hours!! Now that is quite rare and I'd have to seach old 850 maps real hard to find the last time they stayed that cold for that long at KATL.

Yes, it does. However, based on many years of model watching, I'm sure you'll agree that that is commonly what occurs. When it moves out, it often warms rapidly at 850 but with a lag at the surface. Actually, KATL's 850's stay colder than -10 C for nearly 48 hours and colder than -14 C for ~39 hours!! Now that is quite rare and I'd have to seach old 850 maps real hard to find the last time they stayed that cold for that long at KATL.

Follow-up to the above post: I was able to find only four instances since 1950 when KATL was -10 C or colder at 850 mb for 48+ straight hours:

1/16/1977 21Z to 1/19/1977 18 Z (69 hours): coldest 850 -17C; KATL: coldest low 1 F; coldest high 22 F

2/16/1958 3Z to 2/19/1958 0Z (69 hours): coldest 850 -15.5C; KATL coldest low 5 F; coldest high 22 F

1/7/1970 15Z to 1/10/1970 6Z (63 hours): coldest 850 -18.5C KATL coldest low 2 F; coldest high 23 F

12/22/1989 18Z to 12/24/1989 (48 hours): coldest 850 -16C; KATL coldest low 6 F; coldest high 22 F

So, this implies that IF the Euro 850's were to verify (nearly 48 hours of -10C or colder and coldest of -21C), KATL will likely have one high of no higher than the low 20's and one low of no higher than the lower to mid single digits.

You cant share actual maps but I think it's cool to give rough outlines.

Understand completely.

Not IMBY - but can someone give some rough Euro 2m max temp and min temp outlines for those three days or so for the south Georgia/ north Florida area (Savanna west to Tifton down to Thomasville/Tallahassee, over to Cross City, Gainesville and back up to Jax)?

I'd like to compare them to some other data (even if rough outlines).

Understand completely.

Not IMBY - but can someone give some rough Euro 2m max temp and min temp outlines for those three days or so for the south Georgia/ north Florida area (Savanna west to Tifton down to Thomasville/Tallahassee, over to Cross City, Gainesville and back up to Jax)?

I'd like to compare them to some other data (even if rough outlines).

Well, just a quick look at the min temps...looks like the 30º line makes it down to about Tampa....the 35º line is just south of Okeechobee. The highs are definitely more impressive as MCO and Tampa barely crack 45º and the 55º line is south of Key West. The 60º line almost gets to Havana. Jacksonville is actually north of the 35º high line so I'd imagine somewhere between 32-35?

And the flip flops continue on Euro. Latest run has another damming event around 150 to 168 hour, just a close call, with the arctic blast coming in afterward, but mainly west of the Apps.

Pretty major LPS the GFS kicks up 9 days out. If only we can get the cold in here. :lightning:

The models are terrible. I don't know how anyone can rely on them for a forecast. It looks like winter weather is over here, and once again this has been a disappointing winter. One good storm and one ok storm in December is all I have to show for it here. At least we got snow on Christmas. But overall, this winter have been disappointing in the number of snow storms we have had here.

The models are terrible. I don't know how anyone can rely on them for a forecast. It looks like winter weather is over here, and once again this has been a disappointing winter. One good storm and one ok storm in December is all I have to show for it here. At least we got snow on Christmas. But overall, this winter have been disappointing in the number of snow storms we have had here.

You should just copy this and paste it from now on so you don't have to go through the trouble of retyping it each time you post.

At least the models can give you a clue as to whether it's gonna be hot or cold. That's valuable, isn't it?

You should just copy this and paste it from now on so you don't have to go through the trouble of retyping it each time you post.

At least the models can give you a clue as to whether it's gonna be hot or cold. That's valuable, isn't it?

Yes, they can show potential. What actually happens here, though, is a crapshoot.

apparently you have a hard time understanding climatology

Archived