joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea, I was about to start this thread today.

I think a lot of us will see snow showers at some point this month. Models are pointing towards blocking taking shape a bit early. Will likely drive down unseasonably cool, unstable air which can set off convective rain/snow showers.

These cold images are nice, but this happens every year, models show a big time cold plunge early in the season only to have it moderate as we get closer to the time of the event. Not to say it won't be seasonably cool after this system, but anyone thinking that we are going to be dealing with highs in the low 40s or something crazy might want to move into Canada for that one.  That being said, I do think this system about 5-7 days out has some pretty good potential to it with respect to severe weather for the region, and a good soaker which is something we all can use right now. You really don't want to be going into winter in a drought that usually does not help your chances for the winter.

I wonder if we can get some more 80F temps up here... days are getting awfully short, but record high temps in Oct can still reach the low 90Fs in the first week...  even through the end of the month the records stay in the low to mid 80Fs.. 

Really hate that kind of heat this time of year, but at least the nights usually cool off.

Stebo-

Looking at the later runs of the Euro, it would seem that the cold never really gets into here... At day 10 we have epic torching into Canada

2573no3.jpg

That is probably a bit over done as well. I do think that it will get colder beyond this system for a couple days but it probably won't be something over the top.

Not every forecasted early October cold shot moderates/falls short of the 40s for highs. In 2000, there was a handful of days where highs were in the 40s here and a couple snow showers occurred on the 7th.

oct2000coldshot.jpg

Sure but one instance doesn't mean it will happen this time, even the last couple of runs have moderated significantly.

Sure but one instance doesn't mean it will happen this time, even the last couple of runs have moderated significantly.

Hey, it could come back!  :)

It would probably have a better chance of coming true if there was more snow cover in Canada.

Given the trend in recent years of warm falls (especially warm and snowless Novembers) deep fall cool shots will have me skeptical until we're within a couple days.

We're way overdue for a for a cool, wet October. It's going to come sooner or later and with good evidence of blocking taking shape, I think we have a good chance of a cool, wet October.

Wasn't October 2009 cool and wet?

Cedar Rapids was very cool and extremely wet.  We only made it above 60 degrees eight times the entire month and half of those just barely.  The second week of the month we were stuck in the 40s for highs every day.  My yard received over 8 inches of rain, which is extreme for October.

To me it feels like we are due for a consistently mild late September through mid October.  I've had to do a lot of covering of my frost/freeze sensitive hummingbird plants the last few years in Sep/early Oct.  I hate doing that so I'd love to have it remain mild for another couple weeks until the last hummer leaves.

Im having flashbacks of that icepussie Traperman from last late september. Every fantasy cold cool snap would get him all aroused.

Guys... When will some learn to not follow and take the med/range GFS verbatim. Its going to be a torched Fall anyhow. Its certain.

1 month into met fall and we are below normal, although not by much... 

We have been the lucky ones in the subforum, western areas have been torching.

DVN's take on things..

AFTERWARDS...THIS IS WHERE THE GFS/ECMWF GO THEIR SEPARATE WAYS AND
UNTIL THEY COME TO A CONSENSUS CONFIDENCE WILL REMAIN LOW. THE GFS
KEEPS THE TROUGH PROGRESSIVE AND BRINGS COLDER/DRIER AIR INTO THE
CWA FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. THIS SUGGESTS MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES IN
THE LOWER 60S. FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR A LOT OF RAIN THEN PIN YOUR
HOPES ON THE ECMWF. THIS MODEL BRINGS ADDITIONAL STRONG ENERGY INTO
THE MAIN TROUGH AND DIGS IT STRONGLY INTO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS...
DEVELOPING CYCLOGENESIS AS IT TRACKS ALONG THE MAIN COLD FRONT JUST
EAST OF THE CWA. GULF MOISTURE WOULD BE PLENTIFUL WITH A WINTER-LIKE
STORM SYSTEM SPREADING A COLD MODERATE TO HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE
CWA FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT...COMPLETE WITH A DEFORMATION ZONE WITH
ADDITIONAL RAIN SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT. THIS PATTERN WOULD
SUGGEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES STRUGGLING TO REACH 50! STAY TUNED.

Might have to kick the ol' furnace on for the first time by next weekend.

Archived