• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Who's in for the snow chase of a lifetime?

weathafella

I'm starting to plan a trip next winter to spend 10 days sucking snowflakes in Valdez,AK. I would hold off buying the ticket until it was clear I was going in a very snowy period. But they've had 103 inches so far this month, 75 otg officially....I think it snows there. Who's in?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to plan a trip next winter to spend 10 days sucking snowflakes in Valdez,AK. I would hold off buying the ticket until it was clear I was going in a very snowy period. But they've had 103 inches so far this month, 75 otg officially....I think it snows there. Who's in?

Next year possible Nino and ridging up there. But, still snows like a mofo. Our sucky winters are when they cash in. AK low FTL here, FTW there.

If you do that, you know we will have KU after KU after KU....

book it now and non-refundable!

I find that trip intriguing but tough for me to go that far given my travel schedule. And....I think you can get just as good with a well timed trip to lake effect country or the Quebec City are towards Gaspe. Or maybe St. Johns NF?

"The climate is relatively mild, which is attributed to the marine currents in and weather generated by the Pacific Ocean. Its distinguishing characteristics are the incomparable rugged beauty of its natural mountain ringed setting and its extremely high average annual snowfall of 360 inches (30 feet) the most of any community at sea level in North America. Valdez’s economy is based on oil, tourism, commercial fishing, shipping/transportation and city and state government. Among small communities Valdez is quite unique in the vast amenities it offers for a town of its size. Valdez offers a quality of life rivaled by few. It has the comfort of a small town, with many of the advantages of a larger community."

I find that trip intriguing but tough for me to go that far given my travel schedule. And....I think you can get just as good with a well timed trip to lake effect country or the Quebec City are towards Gaspe. Or maybe St. Johns NF?

See my post below yours...not even close...lol.

I'd rather hit the Wasatch Range of Utah. Rough year thus far. 48" of new snow there in the past 7 days. 500" of snow annually on average. Alta received 723" of snow last year.

This is good if you are a skier. I like walking around in it. I mean with this reasoning you go to Thompson Paas near Valdez which gets 600-900 inches/year. I'm choosing a regular town that simply gets pummeled day by day.

This is good if you are a skier. I like walking around in it. I mean with this reasoning you go to Thompson Paas near Valdez which gets 600-900 inches/year. I'm choosing a regular lar town that simply gets pummeled day by day.

Good choice, timing is key. My brothers last year in AK as he retires in May to a ranch he bought in N Cal. The daily texts of his unreal snow and cold are sickening but all in good fun.

Or Oswego

Yes. But I've been three during periods of dryness for weeks. Not likely in Valdez. But yeah, it's a lot closer lol. I just need to get this done while I'm still healthy and strong.

From what my Bro told me, in Valdez you feel like you are totally engulfed in an igloo. I was just looking at their climo page, Dec is their snowiest month. Ave 71 a month, this year 152

"The climate is relatively mild, which is attributed to the marine currents in and weather generated by the Pacific Ocean. Its distinguishing characteristics are the incomparable rugged beauty of its natural mountain ringed setting and its extremely high average annual snowfall of 360 inches (30 feet) the most of any community at sea level in North America. Valdez’s economy is based on oil, tourism, commercial fishing, shipping/transportation and city and state government. Among small communities Valdez is quite unique in the vast amenities it offers for a town of its size. Valdez offers a quality of life rivaled by few. It has the comfort of a small town, with many of the advantages of a larger community."

I can't believe that a vibrant community AT SEA LEVEL averages that much snow and can amass a 6' snowpack...it's like a synoptic, high-density lake effect zone....ie it's a 6' glacier.

Unreal.

This is good if you are a skier. I like walking around in it. I mean with this reasoning you go to Thompson Paas near Valdez which gets 600-900 inches/year. I'm choosing a regular town that simply gets pummeled day by day.

Ugh - for me, the time to go was this year.

My best friend from grad school lives and works there doing avalanche stuff ... he could probably find us some free lodging and show us around the Pass ... check out his blog at www.twosmallcones.com - just unreal the amount of snow they've gotten.

I don't think he'll be out there next year and I'll be working full time by then so : ( ... plus they have had an epic year thusfar ... next year will probably be a stinker (which is like 200", lol).

I think in order for this to work you may have to be prepared to extend your stay or travel a bit earlier than your planned week just in case the forecasted weather doesn't work out, and the good, snowy weather ends up book-ending your stay. Of course if you can go at the drop of a hat this won't matter.

I'd actually love a trip like this if I could afford it. For now I will just enjoy the pathetic winter of 11/12.

Ugh - for me, the time to go was this year.

My best friend from grad school lives and works there doing avalanche stuff ... he could probably find us some free lodging and show us around the Pass ... check out his blog at www.twosmallcones.com - just unreal the amount of snow they've gotten.

I don't think he'll be out there next year and I'll be working full time by then so : ( ... plus they have had an epic year thusfar ... next year will probably be a stinker (which is like 200", lol).

Oh my lord....that is a dream for me....to walk to a bar along tunnels forged through feet of snow, knowing that you're about to get drunk with NOTHING but days of more snow and cold for the foreseeable future.

When will there be melting, who knows.

LOL, how awesome is that.

The Laborers union guys had that pic, they had to clear the pipeline tanks and terminals, average of 11 feet on the terminals. As much as it would be awesome has to be taxing on infrastructure and machine. My back would be screaming trying to keep up with that, sign me up though.

The Laborers union guys had that pic, they had to clear the pipeline tanks and terminals, average of 11 feet on the terminals. As much as it would be awesome has to be taxing on infrastructure and machine. My back would be screaming trying to keep up with that, sign me up though.

Eff it, I would gladly be put in a wheelchair for that right there.

Archived